Ga Tech Lubricant Thread

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A number of us on the board (@Peacone36 ) are apt to imbibe a glass (or two) of Kentucky bourbon after a big win during football season. What is your favorite post game drink? Mine is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon. This not to be opened in the same room with a bottle of unopened Coca Cola. Maybe one cube of ice. Sip slowly and enjoy.

If you are always looking for something new, dig out one of your old Bob Dylan records while you're reading this:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/shelter-from-the-storm-a-review-of-bob-dylans-whiskey

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Whenever I go to South Carolina to see the parents I have a few shops I stop at. I like to keep a bottle of Elmer T Lee on hand if possible. Though sometimes its more of a conversation piece than anything since its so difficult to find (retail $35, sells on ebay for $125-$150), ive never seen it in NC.

The other good stuff I like to keep on hand is Whistle Pig 10/100 and Blantons, also rarely found in NC.

For my money, Basil Hadens is tough to beat.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
A number of us on the board (@Peacone36 ) are apt to imbibe a glass (or two) of Kentucky bourbon after a big win during football season. What is your favorite post game drink? Mine is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon. This not to be opened in the same room with a bottle of unopened Coca Cola. Maybe one cube of ice. Sip slowly and enjoy.

If you are always looking for something new, dig out one of your old Bob Dylan records while you're reading this:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/shelter-from-the-storm-a-review-of-bob-dylans-whiskey

I have seen the double oak but never pulled the trigger on it. I do like WF. I am going to have to try it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just recently got into bourbons the last few years.

I was very fortunate to have access to some Pappy 23 a few months ago while at a steak dinner....overrated. Maybe I'm still too new to bourbons to appreciate it, but I just don't get the big deal.

Four Roses small batch seems to be my go to these days. Inexpensive for an every day drink, a hint of sweetness, goes down easy. I'll take mine with a cube of ice...let the ice melt a little before enjoying.

My fiance loves sangria. Not gonna lie, I might have a glass or three.

Will definitely try some of the ones you guys have mentioned.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I have to say I was a little reluctant to open this thread. Just goes to show you can't judge by cover or title.:cool:

Sad to say, but I thought the same thing. Like, before a football recruit’s “hat show” or when we score a TD to take the lead with a minute or more left on the clock or when we opened the final exam booklet after studying so much we were sure we would ace it. Well, you get the drift...

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
Any Buffalo Trace product (Stagg Jr, Eagle Rare, EH Taylor, Buffalo Trace....) is the only way to go for a high quality bourbon. All are outstanding. Trust me if you try any of these, it will be hard to go back to these others listed above. #truth

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
If I want to have a slow drink and really enjoy it I want Ardbeg Uigeadail or Lagavulin 16. If we're playing Clemson or Georgia and it might get ugly I'm probably having a bunch of craft IPAs and some old fashioned drinks made with Jim beam or regular Woodford rye.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bourbon, yum.

Too many good ones to list. Neat, never watered down or chilled. I drink my whiskey clear!

GT win: (1 drink)
  • Blanton's
  • Blum Bros. Knotter Bourbon
  • Barrell Bourbon New Year
  • Old Forester 1920
GT Loss: (2+ drinks)
  • Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
  • Weller Antique 107
  • Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength
  • Knob Creek 120
I do not like any of the sherry-finished bourbons like Angel's Envy or Belle Meade, too soft and a little cloying. Maker's Mark and Elijah Craig are too easy to drink too much because they're too smooth. Need the bite in the mouth-feel and generally prefer a little more spice (i.e. high rye). Ironically, several of my choices are wheaters, which tend to be more sweet than spicy, but if the proof is right, even these are awesome.

@Techster As for Pappy, they're overrated as far as being the end-all for bourbon. I prefer Pappy 15, while some say Pappy 20 is the ideal age. Pappy 23 spent too much time in the barrel and it's hard to get past the woody taste. Although it's the most expensive and rarest of the Pappy line, the 23-year is the least appealing of the three, in my opinion. Given the choice, I would probably take the William Larue Weller (Antique Collection) over any of the Van Winkle offerings.

Last edited:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'm a beer snob... So, depends on the time of year. If it's hot... A good Hefeweizen, like Erdinger. When it's cold. Chocolate stouts.. Like Necromancer.

I started drinking Hefeweizen recently after meeting a guy who lives in Bavaria, very close to the Erdinger brewery. Maybe one of my favorite styles now. He introduced me to a couple of other brands that I like even better than Erdinger but I can’t remember the name right now. If you’re interested, I can send them to you later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
tenor.gif