FSU

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I don't think Norvell suddenly forgot how to coach. I don't like FSU, but I don't think they are suddenly bad. Norvell has a challenge circling the wagons, but my money is on him doing it. They'll make a bowl for sure.

I think I'm pretty close to betting real money this won't happen.

It's not about whether he's forgotten how to coach. I just think there's an overwhelming wave of negativity going on there.

If they turn it around, I'd say it'll be more like an 7-5 year at best. I think that'd be great but fsu fans would be pissed.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
FSU could have beaten us if a thing or two fell the other way. IMO they are not a bad team and could well finish the year ranked--maybe higher than us if we can hold onto our ranking.

BOB is a good hire for BC and they returned some nice pieces from a bowl team. Add in a hangover from international travel/losing in Ireland and I can see why they laid an egg at home. It's CFB and it happens.

I don't think Norvell suddenly forgot how to coach. I don't like FSU, but I don't think they are suddenly bad. Norvell has a challenge circling the wagons, but my money is on him doing it. They'll make a bowl for sure.
They’re not a bad team. They have lots of talent, and yes, Norvell is a good HC. They are a head case, as is their entire program these days.

Any program that has that many players high on the 2-deep sit out a game against possibly the best college team in the US, instead of showing up to prove doubters wrong, has major internal issues. Further, they turned their backs on their junior players forcing them to suffer the humiliating result of their actions. Yet, no reprimands.

However, IMPO, repercussions always happen in a system impacted that significantly. We talk about the butterfly effect… well, I think we’re seeing it in all its glory right here. Feedback loops all over the place in that program.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member

It's not about whether he's forgotten how to coach. I just think there's an overwhelming wave of negativity going on there.

If they turn it around, I'd say it'll be more like an 7-5 year at best. I think that'd be great but fsu fans would be pissed.
Norvell is the anti-Dabo this season. He went heavy to the portal, and so far it’s not panning out. The receivers, QB, and DL especially. I didn’t watch the second half of the BC game, but there’s a lot of criticism of the effort.

If you come back 0-1, as a top 10 team upset by an unranked team, and you’re not fired up and motivated to win and practice hard, I don’t know when you’ll be motivated. BC gave FSU a battle last season, and their defense should have expected one this year.

I am seeing a lot of “start the freshmen” chatter from Tallahassee.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Norvell is the anti-Dabo this season. He went heavy to the portal, and so far it’s not panning out. The receivers, QB, and DL especially. I didn’t watch the second half of the BC game, but there’s a lot of criticism of the effort.

If you come back 0-1, as a top 10 team upset by an unranked team, and you’re not fired up and motivated to win and practice hard, I don’t know when you’ll be motivated. BC gave FSU a battle last season, and their defense should have expected one this year.

I am seeing a lot of “start the freshmen” chatter from Tallahassee.
Step One of any 12 Step Program. Admit you have a problem.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

Bold call KG!

I'd rather you be right (unless we need them to be good to help us get the playoff!).

For me they have too much in the trenches not to at least make 7-5.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bold call KG!

I'd rather you be right (unless we need them to be good to help us get the playoff!).

For me they have too much in the trenches not to at least make 7-5.

But are you factoring in the 'quit' factor? Another loss or odd performance and I fully expect to see some guys quietly quitting to stay healthy for the draft. Especially on their DL.

With him going hard into transfers, it's not like they have a lot of attachment there.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
But are you factoring in the 'quit' factor? Another loss or odd performance and I fully expect to see some guys quietly quitting to stay healthy for the draft. Especially on their DL.

With him going hard into transfers, it's not like they have a lot of attachment there.
Lots of the transfers must be there for the NIL money and could care less about FSU. Just passing through on the way to the NFL. That was obvious in the bowl game. Norvell whiffed on DJU. Maybe on a few others as well. So far they haven't had a running game. Norvell mentioned teams are stacking the box so they are taking what the defense gives them. DJU has missed open receivers at crucial times and there have been drops. Until they can beat teams with their passing game, they should expect more of the same.
IMO they have greatly under estimated their opponents so far.

slugboy

Staff member

I’m wary of saying “fans are saying…”, but I’ve seen a lot out of FSU that players were tuning out in the second half of BC.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Lots of the transfers must be there for the NIL money and could care less about FSU. Just passing through on the way to the NFL. That was obvious in the bowl game. Norvell whiffed on DJU. Maybe on a few others as well. So far they haven't had a running game. Norvell mentioned teams are stacking the box so they are taking what the defense gives them. DJU has missed open receivers at crucial times and there have been drops. Until they can beat teams with their passing game, they should expect more of the same.
100% on the bolded. It’s hard to know how good they are / can be at this point. We certainly got a better game out of them than BC, but I don’t think they’ve played to potential yet (before I get flack, neither have we).

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

The only issue with that is their stats end up tanking for this season and their draft rating falls with it, at least for the guys trying to get to the NFL. I supposed if you have a more modest NIL deal and know you don't have an NFL future, its easy enough to put in minimal effort.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
100% on the bolded. It’s hard to know how good they are / can be at this point. We certainly got a better game out of them than BC, but I don’t think they’ve played to potential yet (before I get flack, neither have we).
It’s not that FSU doesn’t have good players. On paper they are far more loaded than Tech. They have multiple pro prospects sprinkled throughout the lineup. The problem is they haven’t come together as a team yet. Can they still do that? Sure. But if I were a betting man I would bet against it. Unless they show some desire in their next game, rather than a quitter’s attitude, I will remain convinced that their season is over. As in done, stick a fork in them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It’s not that FSU doesn’t have good players. On paper they are far more loaded than Tech. They have multiple pro prospects sprinkled throughout the lineup. The problem is they haven’t come together as a team yet. Can they still do that? Sure. But if I were a betting man I would bet against it. Unless they show some desire in their next game, rather than a quitter’s attitude, I will remain convinced that their season is over. As in done, stick a fork in them.
I said the same (or similar) about Duke in basketball. Having the best players is not the same as having the best team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They may actually show some pride and desire against Clemson and Miami which would have been prime time games in the past. It won't matter if DJU can't hit his receivers. Will he still be QB by then? They sure can be a spoiler the rest of the season.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'll say this in his defense, there were some soul-crushing drops in that BC game too. He bares blame but not all of it.
I’m wary of saying “fans are saying…”, but I’ve seen a lot out of FSU that players were tuning out in the second half of BC.
Once I saw him call a team meeting, in front of all the cameras and instead of waiting 30 seconds to do it in the locker room, I started to wonder if he lost some players with that move.
The only issue with that is their stats end up tanking for this season and their draft rating falls with it, at least for the guys trying to get to the NFL. I supposed if you have a more modest NIL deal and know you don't have an NFL future, its easy enough to put in minimal effort.
True. But if I'm their agent, I blame FSU and will tell scouts to focus on their previous tape and measurables. Remember, NFL people are arrogant AF and think they know everything and can spot talent regardless of mediocre college stats.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
FSU could have beaten us if a thing or two fell the other way. IMO they are not a bad team and could well finish the year ranked--maybe higher than us if we can hold onto our ranking.

BOB is a good hire for BC and they returned some nice pieces from a bowl team. Add in a hangover from international travel/losing in Ireland and I can see why they laid an egg at home. It's CFB and it happens.

Him believing the hype of totally superior talent, the new helmet com, and his oc being suspended, resulted in too bland a game plan that dint change in game.

Even in next game the qb never moved out of straight drop back.
I get it qb is not prime guy, but defdnses are up in run gaps

All they need to do, imho, is go to youth ball max protect
PLAY 1. fake throw deep patterns and tell qb and ol the qb is starting to run, o matter what, on count of 5.
PLAY 2. Throw deep on count of 7- no matter what- to place our tallest guy has good chance.
PLAY 3. But rb or tight end goes out on count of 3

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Is FSU Top 5 material? No. Not this year’s team anyway.

Every year is a completely new team. Last year’s FSU was a good team that went undefeated against a less than stellar schedule. Then, they lost a helluva lot of players.

So, unlike some teams, they didn’t just reload. They patched a team together. I would have guessed them at 9-3, but didn’t see either a GT win, much less a BC win. Still, both BK and BOB are good coaches who got their teams ready to play.

In brief, they were probably overrated and believed their hype and underprepared.