FSU

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Sports commentators said that prior to BC the FSU locker room was not panicked, not anxious, not somber or serious, just confident that they would easily win the game. Would love to hear if they are finally pi$$ed off now or still in denial.

hubris [ ˈ(h)yo͞obrəs ]
noun

1. excessive pride or arrogance.
2. (in Greek tragedy) an excess of ambition, pride, etc, ultimately causing the transgressor's ruin

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He’s also got no movement whatsoever. He can’t move in the pocket let alone extend with plays his legs. They had one red zone play last night where he tried to fake a throw and juke an edge rusher who just gobbled him up like a toddler. I think he’s lost some mobility since his Clemson days. And the FSU WRs just aren’t good enough to create separation in the little time he has.

He’s not great but he’s also not their biggest problem. They were supposed to have a Top 10 OL and Top 10 DL. And both look atrocious. Like worst in the league bad. Unfathomably bad.
Plus his mechanics look awful.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If they fire Norvell and make a splash move, do they have the money. Which started their mess last fall.
He just signed an 8-year, $10M dollar deal. I don't think he's going anywhere. But I am sure that FSU is po'd right now. Alabama is breathing a huge sigh of relief they did not pursue him.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not sure about their talent tbh. If you rush for 98 yards against GT and then for 21 against BC, that indicates problems that are hard to fix in a week or two. Especially when you look at how many rushing yards they yielded on D. Do they have a lot of 4 and 5 star players? I suppose so but that is indicative of potential rather than on the field performance.
I'm not sure about FSU's talent either, 4shot. Other than their two corners, I am not sure that any of the starters would make Tech's two deep depth chart. That includes their two DEs who can't play the run and their LT who got whipped Saturday night. Maybe one of their DTs could be a rotational player? I need to move on and start worrying about Syracuse.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He just signed an 8-year, $10M dollar deal. I don't think he's going anywhere. But I am sure that FSU is po'd right now. Alabama is breathing a huge sigh of relief they did not pursue him.

What will more likely happen is they will make him make some splash cooadinator hires. Probably chasing past greatness of some kind. (I expect they'd throw money at Weinke lots of money.)

slugboy

Staff member
What will more likely happen is they will make him make some splash cooadinator hires. Probably chasing past greatness of some kind. (I expect they'd throw money at Weinke lots of money.)
I don’t think Weinke is what they’re looking for. He is more “up and coming”, especially since he doesn’t have a long OC resume. What FSU wants is “proven genius”. They’re in “win now” mode.

Clemson tried that, with Riley, but didn’t allow him to bring any position coaches with him. FSU and Clemson have multiple problems to fix—more than just a playbook.

Also, Norvell is an offensive coach. He’d need to buy in.

Edit: I also thought that FSU would straighten out their game after playing us, so I’m not a perfect prognosticator

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
What was Norvell thinking when he called for the 4th-and-long pass from a QB who had consistently failed to connect, down only one score in the third. They were in their own territory, with bad consequences for failure to convert.
As it happened, the consequences were even worse than imagined. Basically, he bet the game on that call, and lost.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Weinke is what they’re looking for. He is more “up and coming”, especially since he doesn’t have a long OC resume. What FSU wants is “proven genius”. They’re in “win now” mode.

Clemson tried that, with Riley, but didn’t allow him to bring any position coaches with him. FSU and Clemson have multiple problems to fix—more than just a playbook.

Also, Norvell is an offensive coach. He’d need to buy in.
If they want to fix this mess, I would suggest they drop the lawsuit, fire the AD, and reassure the coach and team that they are in the ACC to win the ACC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What was Norvell thinking when he called for the 4th-and-long pass from a QB who had consistently failed to connect, down only one score in the third. They were in their own territory, with bad consequences for failure to convert.
As it happened, the consequences were even worse than imagined. Basically, he bet the game on that call, and lost.
I think if he thought if he punted he would lose a psychological advantage, like he was conceding that BC was a better team. His team kept looking for the quick knockout to put the game away and when that was no longer possible they looked for the quick strike to get back in the game. He needed to recognize that this was going to be a different kind of game, grind it out, play defense, work on field position. But that’s not how FSU wants to play this year.

So he made the wrong choice. And not just a bad choice but a horrible choice. He not only lost the game, he probably has lost the mental health of his QB for the rest of the season. The fans won’t be happy with the QB now and some of his teammates may have lost confidence in him to lead.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s hard to say. I saw the Florida pregame spirit huddle and 90% of the players looked away and seemed completely uninterested. Florida isn’t FSU, but I suspect FSU has a similar growing culture problem.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
@Tech Lawyer brought up an interesting point w.r.t. Norvell being one of the few that do not embrace having tablets on the sideline to aid in coaching.

Seems backwards and now that his team looks inept, really is a bad look for him. You're going over what happened real-time anyway. Why not use a tool that can give it to you visually and accessibly like that? Pretty sure I've seen some high level high schools using tablets on the sideline. Norvell needs to get over himself.
On the broadcast they mentioned he was using an iPad after the first drive.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Prime time and as the head coach at FSU? You talk about clown show, well I do believe FSU actually has a Circus curriculum where you can learn to be a clown. Maybe Deione can get that post graduate degree as well.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
IMG_7595.jpeg

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
If they want to fix this mess, I would suggest they drop the lawsuit, fire the AD, and reassure the coach and team that they are in the ACC to win the ACC.
That would require admitting that they were wrong, which their hubris prevents from happening.

FSU program and fans are stuck in last year's CFB snub. That's really what drove all of this - and they HAD every right to be upset about it. But it's time to move on and they can't because they're stuck on the snub. This could easily fracture the fan base and set the program back.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
FSU could have beaten us if a thing or two fell the other way. IMO they are not a bad team and could well finish the year ranked--maybe higher than us if we can hold onto our ranking.

BOB is a good hire for BC and they returned some nice pieces from a bowl team. Add in a hangover from international travel/losing in Ireland and I can see why they laid an egg at home. It's CFB and it happens.

I don't think Norvell suddenly forgot how to coach. I don't like FSU, but I don't think they are suddenly bad. Norvell has a challenge circling the wagons, but my money is on him doing it. They'll make a bowl for sure.