FSU

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@Tech Lawyer brought up an interesting point w.r.t. Norvell being one of the few that do not embrace having tablets on the sideline to aid in coaching.

Seems backwards and now that his team looks inept, really is a bad look for him. You're going over what happened real-time anyway. Why not use a tool that can give it to you visually and accessibly like that? Pretty sure I've seen some high level high schools using tablets on the sideline. Norvell needs to get over himself.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Glenn played with half a team against a pi$$ed off UGAG team. I'd toss that one out as an outlier.

The fact that F$U didn't show up pi$$ed off, too, was the big story of that game and the issue so far this fall, IMPO.
I do not disagree with anything you posted, but the FSU roster was decimated by opt outs and transfers. Even if adequately motivated, they really didn't have the players to compete against uga.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I do not disagree with anything you posted, but the FSU roster was decimated by opt outs and transfers. Even if adequately motivated, they really didn't have the players to compete against uga.
You are welcome to your opinion, but I don't think we know this. There was a LOT of talent on that team when they were spurned.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Doubtful. The 22 O and D starters probably have more than comfortable NIL deals and care almost zero at this point about the outcome of their season.

The only guys on that team that care at this point are the guys that have current year early round NFL drafts hopes.
I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying players who play for tuition have more motivation than players with an NIL deal?

Getting paid squashes motivation? Is that how it worked for you, that once you started getting paid for your work, you lost your motivation?

Interesting that most of the talk is about FSU. Clearly, FSU has lots of issues (and not just mediocre play at QB). But they have talent and lots of time to get straightened out. But their hopes for a special season are over. They are in salvage mode. I'm with the long, long list of ACC fans who are happy about that.

But the story is B.C. They've kinda been an ACC after-thought. But if they rise, that makes the conference way stronger. Tech is on the rise. Now maybe B.C. NCSt has put themselves in decent position. I'm skeptical if Miami is elite, but they are certainly strong. Seems like the ACC needs to get more out of UVA. They should be better than they've been. Pitt is up and down. We'll have to get a look at the newcomers.

The power structure in the ACC might be in transition, but our fans should get into the habit of defending the conference from the Media B.S.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
What is everyone's take on all the bowl opt-outs?

My take on the extreme number of opt-outs for FSU's Bowl appearance was not supportive of a healthy program. Might that have been a prognostic indicator of what we are seeing this year?

Maybe it is something to keep an eye on moving forward.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Glenn played with half a team against a pi$$ed off UGAG team. I'd toss that one out as an outlier.

The fact that F$U didn't show up pi$$ed off, too, was the big story of that game and the issue so far this fall, IMPO.
Sports commentators said that prior to BC the FSU locker room was not panicked, not anxious, not somber or serious, just confident that they would easily win the game. Would love to hear if they are finally pi$$ed off now or still in denial.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

My take on the extreme number of opt-outs for FSU's Bowl appearance was not supportive of a healthy program. Might that have been a prognostic indicator of what we are seeing this year?

Yes, yes, and yes.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Getting individual transfers with lots of stars doesn't make a team. In the evaluation on transfer (and obviously recruits), I think it is vital for coaches to measure ability to blend into the team culture and not based signing decisions purely on raw talent. I think GT has by and large made good decisions on the transfer portal the last couple of years with that in mind.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I noticed Memphis is tied with Nebraska for 30th in the AP Poll while FSU received no votes (46 teams received votes). Will FSU actually be the underdog in 2 weeks when they play Memphis?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I noticed Memphis is tied with Nebraska for 30th in the AP Poll while FSU received no votes (46 teams received votes). Will FSU actually be the underdog in 2 weeks when they play Memphis?
F$U will be making a call to Coach Prime before too long.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No. FSU would be favored over us if we played again this weekend. They are playing awful now but everyone is fully aware that they have a lot of talent and will likely figure it out at some point.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
They might call but not sure if Prime would be listening. Obviously his QB son leaving after this season could make him more receptive to considering an option. But he has yet to win at Colorado and being in the Big 12 is not really much difference in being in the ACC. Yes, I realize it is his alma mater. But that has not always gone well (look at Frost at Nebraska though I think that hire was premature since he only had one winning season as a head coach). Clearly the one big advantage to Prime at FSU is the talent in the State of Florida. But he is basically the only game in town in Colorado vs. competing with so many teams in Florida (and the Southeast).

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No. FSU would be favored over us if we played again this weekend. They are playing awful now but everyone is fully aware that they have a lot of talent and will likely figure it out at some point.
I am not sure about their talent tbh. If you rush for 98 yards against GT and then for 21 against BC, that indicates problems that are hard to fix in a week or two. Especially when you look at how many rushing yards they yielded on D. Do they have a lot of 4 and 5 star players? I suppose so but that is indicative of potential rather than on the field performance.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
@Tech Lawyer brought up an interesting point w.r.t. Norvell being one of the few that do not embrace having tablets on the sideline to aid in coaching.

Seems backwards and now that his team looks inept, really is a bad look for him. You're going over what happened real-time anyway. Why not use a tool that can give it to you visually and accessibly like that? Pretty sure I've seen some high level high schools using tablets on the sideline. Norvell needs to get over himself.
Lets think about it for a minute, 75% FSU Players can't read 20% could not find how to turn it on, and the last 5% said they didn't have a pencil to write with,

slugboy

Staff member

UGA had roughly the same number of opt-outs for the same game. They were much deeper.

This year, UGA has their WB back, and a QB in waiting. FSU may have run off their QB in waiting for DJU. They don’t have as much depth. FSU used the transfer portal to take starting spots as difference makers—they won the starts, but they haven’t distinguished themselves

UGA in the same situation built up depth.

That number of opt outs would hurt us, but not everyone.

FSU got some players who look great at camp and practice, but not on game day. It’s their problem

Clemson also has problems with player evaluation and player development

Colorado should have lost to FCS NDSU. If you think FSU has a problem with underperforming NOW, or a toxic locker room NOW, it’ll get worse with Coach Prime.

(I thought Deion would do magic, but the reports I’m reading from Boulder and the lack of coaching I see are troubling)

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure about their talent tbh. If you rush for 98 yards against GT and then for 21 against BC, that indicates problems that are hard to fix in a week or two. Especially when you look at how many rushing yards they yielded on D. Do they have a lot of 4 and 5 star players? I suppose so but that is indicative of potential rather than on the field performance.
They aren't a young team. We have seen the majority of their players play before. Guys like Patrick Payton and Joshua Farmer don't just lose their talent overnight. The offense is a bit of a mess but it makes no sense that their defense is playing as bad as it is.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Getting individual transfers with lots of stars doesn't make a team. In the evaluation on transfer (and obviously recruits), I think it is vital for coaches to measure ability to blend into the team culture and not based signing decisions purely on raw talent. I think GT has by and large made good decisions on the transfer portal the last couple of years with that in mind.
Really good coaches are not only good at Xs and Os, but also at getting the entire team working together toward a common goal.