FSU Post game thread

GT33

Helluva Engineer
NE, I generally agree with your takes. CPJ is in multiple HOF’s so his credentials speak for themselves. While it is clear that he struggled under administrative constraints and problems that have been addressed for CBK, the question remains ( for me) is the one of recruiting. Would we have a Haynes King, Singleton, Height, or the new 4 & 5 star recruits running his system? We will never know but CPJ himself has said that the system will probably disappear from college FB ( or WTTE).
I’d say no.

We’ve seemingly ended up in a rare period of GT unity. Many were sick of Gomer delivering 7 wins, some of us thought he’d about figured it out. It was a fanbase divided. After that half the fanbase hated Johnson and was never going to like him. There was no ability to unite. What a mistake hiring the man from the circus. He sure did put us on a path the become united again.

Now we got Cabrera. Then we got Batt and Key. If GT cannot unite behind these 3, we’re doomed. There’s no limit with this combo.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My only quibble would be the term stubborn. Maybe so, maybe not. It could simply be that he didn’t have the energy so close to retirement to undergo such a transformation. I agree totally that CPJ’s O would strongly resemble what we have with CBF.
I posted this same thing several years ago. I love CPJ’s offense and if he had come to GT a decade earlier I have no doubt he would have evolved it to combat the negative recruiting and changing of the blocking rules. At some point in the future, a young CPJ type will do exactly that and utilize the A Back position both from under center and from the gun. Faulkner is pretty good right now in replicating a lot of that utilizing TE’s and the motion slot receiver, but we are 100% shotgun. I can see Faulkner utilizing under center more like Monken did at UGA to add even more to the defense list of things to worry about. I have just always be
ieved the A Back position is such a unique hybrid guy who can do it all like Orwin, Roddy, and Perkins could do. Of course, Hawes is fun to watch to.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
NE, I generally agree with your takes. CPJ is in multiple HOF’s so his credentials speak for themselves. While it is clear that he struggled under administrative constraints and problems that have been addressed for CBK, the question remains ( for me) is the one of recruiting. Would we have a Haynes King, Singleton, Height, or the new 4 & 5 star recruits running his system? We will never know but CPJ himself has said that the system will probably disappear from college FB ( or WTTE).
Agree with all of this.

Not to belabor the point, it’s just that putting all this on CPJ ignores the fact that Tech had been deemphasizing football and CPJ was trying to keep Tech relevant within impossible constraints. It will always bother me that CPJ got very little help with dealing with negative recruiting, including some of our own fans who made negative recruiting even easier by repeating the talking points.

Well, anyway, I think Johnson is probably quite happy with what is happening with Tech’s offense right now, as well as another option and running QB guru, Ralph Friedgen.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I hope FSU enjoyed their day of sight seeing Sunday after the loss lmao
They were an awfully chipper bunch. Most of the Irish didn’t seem to understand how excited the nole fans would get when Irish residents started congratulating us on our win.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agree with all of this.

Not to belabor the point, it’s just that putting all this on CPJ ignores the fact that Tech had been deemphasizing football and CPJ was trying to keep Tech relevant within impossible constraints. It will always bother me that CPJ got very little help with dealing with negative recruiting, including some of our own fans who made negative recruiting even easier by repeating the talking points.

Well, anyway, I think Johnson is probably quite happy with what is happening with Tech’s offense right now, as well as another option and running QB guru, Ralph Friedgen.
I have often argued that the biggest issue with our dwindling attendance is that most people had figured out that our school (outside of the players and coaches themselves) wasn’t all that interested in the game. I called it dabbling in Only us idiots hung on. I believe we will start seeing more bodies in the stadium. We may be entering into the next golden era (no pun intended) of GT athletics. The last occurred under Dr. Rice.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Jamaal is Gibbs. How lucky are we that a GT coach thought outside the box and allowed a WR to be given a chance at RB while in college. 99% of coaches would have laughed at him and he would have portaled out. Instead, we got a 5 star RB and didn’t even know it.
Anyone know which coach(es) went to bat to retain Haynes? Someone posted on here it may have been more than one.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
To get real long lasting fan support we're going to have to show that we're doing what it takes to make it last for many years. IMO school is still out on that and it may take more than this year for that type fan support to happen. We'll see. It needs to become a thing on campus with those employed as well as the students. That seems the most likely place the quickest, at least thats how I see it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have often argued that the biggest issue with our dwindling attendance is that most people had figured out that our school (outside of the players and coaches themselves) wasn’t all that interested in the game. I called it dabbling in Only us idiots hung on. I believe we will start seeing more bodies in the stadium. We may be entering into the next golden era (no pun intended) of GT athletics. The last occurred under Dr. Rice.
Yes. The sense that Tech is finally “all in” is palpable and something a lot of potential fans were just waiting for.

I love that several sports blogs have taken a “maverick” interpretation of Saturday’s game by saying this may be less about FSU being bad and more about Tech being good. Several have also said that Tech was always going to be a sleeping giant until leadership at the top decided to give football some active support.

Cool how many non-Tech people have been secretly rooting for us to return to prominence.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Jamaal is Gibbs. How lucky are we that a GT coach thought outside the box and allowed a WR to be given a chance at RB while in college. 99% of coaches would have laughed at him and he would have portaled out. Instead, we got a 5 star RB and didn’t even know it.

Jamal is special in his versatility and is an amazing team asset. He ain't Jahmyr. Putting Jah on this team with this line and supporting cast would be cheat code level stuff.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
I love that several sports blogs have taken a “maverick” interpretation of Saturday’s game by saying this may be less about FSU being bad and more about Tech being good. Several have also said that Tech was always going to be a sleeping giant until leadership at the top decided to give football some active support.
That’s the difference too in playing a complete game and not needing the other team to screw in order to win.

That gives me a lot of confidence for next week, if national people see it as a good all around performance too. Versus something like the Miami game last year which showed GT can be dangerous and you better not hand them a gift, but wasn’t a dominant 60 minutes.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That’s the difference too in playing a complete game and not needing the other team to screw in order to win.

That gives me a lot of confidence for next week, if national people see it as a good all around performance too. Versus something like the Miami game last year which showed GT can be dangerous and you better not hand them a gift, but wasn’t a dominant 60 minutes.
Yeah, the Jackets just lined up and beat them. And I believe if they played again, the same thing would happen. It looked to me like the better team won Saturday.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, the Jackets just lined up and beat them. And I believe if they played again, the same thing would happen. It looked to me like the better team won Saturday.
We'd probably beat them worse 2nd time around. I think they played near about their best, we were still experimenting with different packages and plays. Maybe they'd change their QB and go with the Freshman, but Norvell is Norvell after all. We have Key, Faulkner, Weinke, Santucci, etc. Give those guys another week and they'd pound FSU like a teenager on a prom girl.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta likes winners and is an extremely fair weather fan base. Once you start winning the people will come.
You are correct, and so is @stinger 1957, in that it will take sustained winning to build up the fan base enough to remain loyal through losses and down periods.

It’s kind of like banking our goodwill – we build it up after a good win, but then it’s easily depleted after a head-scratching loss. Same goes for good seasons like 2014.

The good news is that Key understands the need sustain winning and I think he is the right coach to enable us to do that.