FSU Post game thread

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
So are we back to the quirky running offense now. Ha!

I love the O. Love that we can pound with the best and we can air it out when needed, too. To me, this is kind of like what a CPJ O might have looked like had he wanted to adapt it a good bit.

OK, so I’ll say it… how do you guys think Vad Lee would have done in this O? Ha!
Who?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
One big hit on a qb run and he done. We saw that movie.

I love the O. Love that we can pound with the best and we can air it out when needed, too. To me, this is kind of like what a CPJ O might have looked like had he wanted to adapt it a good bit.

OK, so I’ll say it… how do you guys think Vad Lee would have done in this O? Ha!

The QB That would have excelled in this offense was Tim byerly. Which funny enough guess who was the OC/QB coach when he was recruited to Middle Tenn State before he transfered to us.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
2015 was one of the worst hard luck injury seasons I’ve ever seen. I’m going to speak into existence right now that “This will NOT happen this year.”
Coach Dooly once said many years ago that injuries in football often come in cycles. A team will go several years with just ordinary bumps and bruises and out of nowhere you lose players in waves for the most ridiculous reasons. One year I saw Georgia lose their best receiver tearing an ACL while celebrating an early season TD with a teammate. Another time Tech running back Charles Wylie suffered a knee injury stepping into a depression in the end zone after scoring. It happens.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

This is exactly how I felt PJ's offense would evolve in P5 football and was very disappointed when he did not tweak it. I like and respect PJ but he was too stubborn in my opinion to bring us back to prominence in football that GT deserves.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly how I felt PJ's offense would evolve in P5 football and was very disappointed when he did not tweak it. I like and respect PJ but he was too stubborn in my opinion to bring us back to prominence in football that GT deserves.
My only quibble would be the term stubborn. Maybe so, maybe not. It could simply be that he didn’t have the energy so close to retirement to undergo such a transformation. I agree totally that CPJ’s O would strongly resemble what we have with CBF.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
My only quibble would be the term stubborn. Maybe so, maybe not. It could simply be that he didn’t have the energy so close to retirement to undergo such a transformation. I agree totally that CPJ’s O would strongly resemble what we have with CBF.
Good point. Plus he didn't have the support from the top to motivate him to change.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think he went for 2 because he knew they were in for limited possessions because we would keep the FB with our offense and he was worried about getting enough points to win.
100%. He went for two on the opening drive and went for it on fourth (and 5+ IIRC) three times. He was clearly worried about getting chances to score and being able to stop us. He was right.

Norvell is a good coach. Not sure how he ended up in a state where DJU is who he needed to hitch his wagon to. Do they really not have an underclassman they want to groom? He’s going to fight through a year where they struggle to win the tough games.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
100%. He went for two on the opening drive and went for it on fourth (and 5+ IIRC) three times. He was clearly worried about getting chances to score and being able to stop us. He was right.

Norvell is a good coach. Not sure how he ended up in a state where DJU is who he needed to hitch his wagon to. Do they really not have an underclassman they want to groom? He’s going to fight through a year where they struggle to win the tough games.
Norvell is a great coach, coaching at a second tier school with a bunch of fickled Semihole fans.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Norvell is a great coach,
triumph the insult comic dog conan25 GIF by Team Coco

slugboy

Staff member

He went for two because it was free for the taking. It’s common to line up like FSU did, and see if you have a numbers advantage—they did, and they took it.

On the two fourth downs—by that point, it was clear if they didn’t score, we either would score, or we’d run out the clock.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I still think this is a shallow take.

He tried tweaking, first going to the pistol, and then recruiting Vad Lee. He also was always open to returning to his Hawaii offensive roots.

There were two constraints however. First, you have to win games and with the hamstrung budget he was working with he had to have a system that gave him better odds of picking up the W.

Second, the constant echo chamber of “good quarterbacks don’t want to go to Tech,” on repeat by the media, the SEC, and even our own fans, made it a challenge.

Frankly, with a better budget and a few more pieces to the team, our 2014 team would have gone undefeated and been unstoppable.

If you want to call it stubborn that is your prerogative but I would argue it was the exact opposite of stubborn. The EXACT opposite. CGC came In stubbornly determined to “balance” the offense and run what he called a “a pro offense.” He took a team with a winning record, and rather than preserve what was working and transition slowly, he stubbornly committed himself to appearances rather than winning.

I loved how last Saturday some of our biggest plays were essentially forward pitches out of an “option look” eye Candy approach. The QB throwing over handed rather than pitching underhanded warms the cockles for many fans and I am happy if it makes them happy. But the passing yards and running yards by King looked for all the world like JT stats.

Sorry to be so long winded. It just pushes my buttons when I hear something (he’s stubborn) repeated so often people think it’s true when there is no basis for it. Give CPJ the budget, recruiting resources, NIL and positive PR that Tech is getting now and he would still be our coach and would have had us in the playoffs at least a couple of times now.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

FSU didn't have an upperclassman QB ready to step in after Jordan Travis left. Tate Rodemaker was the backup and he portalled out after last season. Norvell apparently had some recruiting misses at QB over the last couple of years and must have figured he could just plug in an experienced mercenary from the portal.

Tech always seems to recruit at least one QB every cycle. This year we have two. For such a key position, it's a head-scratcher how FSU failed to do so.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I still think this is a shallow take.

He tried tweaking, first going to the pistol, and then recruiting Vad Lee. He also was always open to returning to his Hawaii offensive roots.

There were two constraints however. First, you have to win games and with the hamstrung budget he was working with he had to have a system that gave him better odds of picking up the W.

Second, the constant echo chamber of “good quarterbacks don’t want to go to Tech,” on repeat by the media, the SEC, and even our own fans, made it a challenge.

Frankly, with a better budget and a few more pieces to the team, our 2014 team would have gone undefeated and been unstoppable.

If you want to call it stubborn that is your prerogative but I would argue it was the exact opposite of stubborn. The EXACT opposite. CGC came In stubbornly determined to “balance” the offense and run what he called a “a pro offense.” He took a team with a winning record, and rather than preserve what was working and transition slowly, he stubbornly committed himself to appearances rather than winning.

I loved how last Saturday some of our biggest plays were essentially forward pitches out of an “option look” eye Candy approach. The QB throwing over handed rather than pitching underhanded warms the cockles for many fans and I am happy if it makes them happy. But the passing yards and running yards by King looked for all the world like JT stats.

Sorry to be so long winded. It just pushes my buttons when I hear something (he’s stubborn) repeated so often people think it’s true when there is no basis for it. Give CPJ the budget, recruiting resources, NIL and positive PR that Tech is getting now and he would still be our coach and would have had us in the playoffs at least a couple of times now.
NE, I generally agree with your takes. CPJ is in multiple HOF’s so his credentials speak for themselves. While it is clear that he struggled under administrative constraints and problems that have been addressed for CBK, the question remains ( for me) is the one of recruiting. Would we have a Haynes King, Singleton, Height, or the new 4 & 5 star recruits running his system? We will never know but CPJ himself has said that the system will probably disappear from college FB ( or WTTE).