FSU Post game thread

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Running the ball and stopping the run have been the key to successful football since the dawn of time. People who ***** about how much we run the ball are masking their displeasure really at how much we are/were winning imo.
Careful… you’ll be labelled a dinosaur. Ha!
Run. The. Ball.
It’s always the best way to win if you can. It’s why UGA’s Fromm and Bennett were so successful most of all they did was hand it off to their RB’s.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What was funny is we did run a play that had 3 options. So technically we ran a 3O play. We are an option team, just the next step in the evolution of the offense.
I think Buster's offense is like Paul's in that it creates situations where defenders have to make quick decisions where either choice helps the offense

slugboy

Staff member
I think Buster's offense is like Paul's in that it creates situations where defenders have to make quick decisions where either choice helps the offense

RPO is supposed to do the same. Defenders are supposed to be decisive. If you have a choice between covering the pass and covering the run, playing halfway between the two is often even worse.

Last Saturday, our defense confused FSU’s offense a few times, too. It’s not all one-sided

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
You also know this from attempting to tell jokes.

regular show papa GIF
Yeah, me and you on the golf course, and It’ll be:

1724808092344.gif

That’s me in the white, actually…

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I rewatched the game and have some additional thoughts:

Santucci had a plan for the D and saw it wasn't working, so he made adjustments. Mental flexibility is really important in football and FSU was very late adjusting when GT starting sliding safeties into the box.

GT looked light the team with more speed. I never thought we would be slow, but all the media said FSU was loaded with speedy players.

GT was also quicker off the snap on both sides. And, physically manhandled the FSU OL and DL. That shocked me. I hoped we could hold our own, Not win the fight on the LOS.

DJ simply doesn't like getting contact. He is a VERY soft runner and drops immediately when hit.

Jackson Hawes is maybe the best blocker on our team. He finds someone to block on every play and knocks them back (or down). Sometimes more than one player.

We are not going to have 2-3 guys with 50 receptions because we want to run the ball. That is who we are. Everyone who hated Paul Johnson for running the ball, keep that in mind. We are not running the TO, but we are going to try to win the game running.
There are going to be times when teams stack the box against us and challenge us to beat them through the air. We're going to decimate them when they do this. Our receivers aren't going to see another secondary like this all year. They may see better defenses, but this is the best secondary we'll face. We're going to have games where we throw the ball 30 times. I'm confident we'll be a passing team on those days. 🥃

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There are going to be times when teams stack the box against us and challenge us to beat them through the air. We're going to decimate them when they do this. Our receivers aren't going to see another secondary like this all year. They may see better defenses, but this is the best secondary we'll face. We're going to have games where we throw the ball 30 times. I'm confident we'll be a passing team on those days. 🥃
Agreed. This is the most balanced offense since the Goose days with Burns, Campbell and Watkins. For the college game, our RB’s and WR’s match any team in the country right now. We have the speedy slot guy, the track start deep threat, and the jump ball beast who is finally healthy. Add in the portal guys at WR and TE and this is the Fridge years all over again with a QB who is another coach in the huddle.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
What was funny is we did run a play that had 3 options. So technically we ran a 3O play. We are an option team, just the next step in the evolution of the offense.
Did you watch Aaron Murray’s breakdown of Haynes King’s game? For those that haven’t watched I won’t ruin it for you but Aaron seems to be a big fan of King. I think the play you’re talking about was the pass to Avery Boyd. Murray called it the modern 3O. When he said that it reminded me somewhat of how Ole Miss has played with Jaxon Dart as their QB.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Run. The. Ball.
It’s always the best way to win if you can. It’s why UGA’s Fromm and Bennett were so successful most of all they did was hand it off to their RB’s.
That phrase and the look on Brent’s face has gotten so much positive mileage since that moment. How anyone could not love that would be beyond me 😂.

People have this mistaken impression that running the ball is boring and if it is done well it is anything but boring. And hey, I’ll be happy to join you and any other dinosaurs proudly owning that moniker. In fact you can just call me Nerdosaurus Rex 😆

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He used a lot of motion, play action, and spread the field with a lot of counters. FSU played a lot of man coverages and I suspect he used motion to define the coverage. Made them cover the entire field. The OL was very physical and blocked exceptionally well. Downfield blocking was good on QB runs. Lots of positives.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Run. The. Ball.
Bobby Dodd: When you pass the ball, 3 things can happen and 2 of the 3 are not good.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The 30 (3-0) is NOT the triple option, it is the personnel package. The first number represents the number of running backs, the second number represents the number of tight ends in the package. So, the 30 is three running backs and no tight ends in the formation.

A triple option can be run with one running back. Two running backs. Running backs, a running back and two tired ends but, no running back and all receivers. It's just a play. It is not the personnel package they are.

Sorry, rant over, I just get frustrated seeing that sometimes we see a reference to 30 and everybody thinks triple option.