FSU Post game thread

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I’d rather have the one that wants to be here.
I don't blame Gibbs for leaving at all with how TFG was tanking this program. He came to Tech despite TFG to be coached by Choice and when Choice left, Gibbs had no reason to stay. Gibbs is still a good ambassador of Tech. For example, during the draft he had both Tech and UA stuff prominently displayed equally.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't blame Gibbs for leaving at all with how TFG was tanking this program. He came to Tech despite TFG to be coached by Choice and when Choice left, Gibbs had no reason to stay. Gibbs is still a good ambassador of Tech. For example, during the draft he had both Tech and UA stuff prominently displayed equally.

Gibbs got his degree then played a year at bama. He did everything right. Hell he may not have been able to get into our business school given the way things go with that crap.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs got his degree then played a year at bama. He did everything right. Hell he may not have been able to get into our business school given the way things go with that crap.
Don't think Gibbs got his degree from Tech, he was only here 2 years.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We'd probably beat them worse 2nd time around. I think they played near about their best, we were still experimenting with different packages and plays. Maybe they'd change their QB and go with the Freshman, but Norvell is Norvell after all. We have Key, Faulkner, Weinke, Santucci, etc. Give those guys another week and they'd pound FSU like a teenager on a prom girl.
Watch the Murray film breakdown of DJ. FSU left a lot on the table. FSU’s season depends on if he can master Norvell’s offense. He had several opportunities for big plays vs our blitzes and he really only hit his last pass on their last 4th down.

We will know a lot more about FSU and GT after this weekend’s games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I rewatched the game and have some additional thoughts:

Santucci had a plan for the D and saw it wasn't working, so he made adjustments. Mental flexibility is really important in football and FSU was very late adjusting when GT starting sliding safeties into the box.

GT looked light the team with more speed. I never thought we would be slow, but all the media said FSU was loaded with speedy players.

GT was also quicker off the snap on both sides. And, physically manhandled the FSU OL and DL. That shocked me. I hoped we could hold our own, Not win the fight on the LOS.

DJ simply doesn't like getting contact. He is a VERY soft runner and drops immediately when hit.

Jackson Hawes is maybe the best blocker on our team. He finds someone to block on every play and knocks them back (or down). Sometimes more than one player.

We are not going to have 2-3 guys with 50 receptions because we want to run the ball. That is who we are. Everyone who hated Paul Johnson for running the ball, keep that in mind. We are not running the TO, but we are going to try to win the game running.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Santucci had a plan for the D and saw it wasn't working, so he made adjustments. Mental flexibility is really important in football and FSU was very late adjusting when GT starting sliding safeties into the box.

GT looked light the team with more speed. I never thought we would be slow, but all the media said FSU was loaded with speedy players.

GT was also quicker off the snap on both sides. And, physically manhandled the FSU OL and DL. That shocked me. I hoped we could hold our own, Not win the fight on the LOS.

DJ simply doesn't like getting contact. He is a VERY soft runner and drops immediately when hit.

Jackson Hawes is maybe the best blocker on our team. He finds someone to block on every play and knocks them back (or down). Sometimes more than one player.

We are not going to have 2-3 guys with 50 receptions because we want to run the ball. That is who we are. Everyone who hated Paul Johnson for running the ball, keep that in mind. We are not running the TO, but we are going to try to win the game running.
How often we throw will be in a significant part on how defenses play us. If they hade 7 or 8 man boxes against us King will be throwing far more than last Saturday.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Running the ball and stopping the run have been the key to successful football since the dawn of time. People who ***** about how much we run the ball are masking their displeasure really at how much we are/were winning imo.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I would guess that a TE can often get a bit more of a running start into a block than an OL. A TE that embraces that, and blocks with the full force allowed by their momentum (mass x velocity), can be really effective in a block.

Hawes seems to get that. Correction: he seems to embrace that, with gusto. The physics-nerd in me really appreciates that.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
FSU didn't have an upperclassman QB ready to step in after Jordan Travis left. Tate Rodemaker was the backup and he portalled out after last season. Norvell apparently had some recruiting misses at QB over the last couple of years and must have figured he could just plug in an experienced mercenary from the portal.

Tech always seems to recruit at least one QB every cycle. This year we have two. For such a key position, it's a head-scratcher how FSU failed to do so.
Agree. It happens to a lot of teams. Especially after having a dominant starter at QB for 2-3 years. Very few schools can reload year after year at QB.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

What was funny is we did run a play that had 3 options. So technically we ran a 3O play. We are an option team, just the next step in the evolution of the offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
How often we throw will be in a significant part on how defenses play us. If they hade 7 or 8 man boxes against us King will be throwing far more than last Saturday.
They were very deep with the safeties so the perimeter runs and passes were easy pickings. They never came up.

FSU tried to run when our LB had moved up into gaps and then passed links and dunks instead of max protect deep crossing routes.

We ere so dominant on run we won't see other teams not adjust. Offense Key says we will be teaching a chapter on PASSING.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
They were very deep with the safeties so the perimeter runs and passes were easy pickings. They never came up.

FSU tried to run when our LB had moved up into gaps and then passed links and dunks instead of max protect deep crossing routes.

We ere so dominant on run we won't see other teams not adjust. Offense Key says we will be teaching a chapter on PASSING.
I know Run The Ball is our DNA, but I would love to see us put on a passing clinic if either Ga St. or Cuse goes all-in to stop our run game. After that, opposing coaches are going to be thinking "How do we stop them?"

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know Run The Ball is our DNA, but I would love to see us put on a passing clinic if either Ga St. or Cuse goes all-in to stop our run game. After that, opposing coaches are going to be thinking "How do we stop them?"
Buster’s offense is like Paul’s offense or any other offense. You stop it by winning the battle up front. However knowing what to do vs. doing it are two completely different things. I know this from playing golf.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

They had to respect our speed at WR, Especially Singleton

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
By the "Run. The. Bawl." comment, I interpreted that to mean that Key thinks it is a priority to be able to run the ball against base defenses.

If an offense can run successfully against a base defense, then the defense has to adjust to stop the run and then the offense has set up the pass.

I think that is what he meant. I don't think we will see a run dominant offense every game regardless of the defense. Rather we will be a run competent, physical offense.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I know this from attempting golf.

You also know this from attempting to tell jokes.

regular show papa GIF