FSU Post game thread

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I thought that Brian Smith dude was full of crap, myself.
  • the reason we didn't pass as much wasn't because our pass blocking was bad it was because our coaches knew we could attack their front seven with our OL/TE/RB/QB rather than challenge their actual good players in the secondary plus that way we could make the game fewer possessions
  • He said FSU couldn't get "up" for the game. Let me say if they couldn't get up for a game against an ACC opponent to prove that they are too good for the ACC and do so on worldwide TV with no other games in competition for college football eyeballs then they have bigger problems than their QB
  • He was even condescending to the other dude on the show
He acted like he knew a lot about the sport and was the smartest guy in the room. Those people are usually NOT the smartest ones in the room.

To be fair he was impressed with Haynes King's speed and no, not everything he said was bogus. I just think he got a few really big things wrong.
We run block much better than we pass block. That’s not new. We were a much better run blocking than pass blocking team last year. King is under pressure a good percent of dropbacks. He is very good at avoiding sacks.

This is something to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

And yes our coaches understand our strengths and play to them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Or do we?

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
  • the reason we didn't pass as much wasn't because our pass blocking was bad it was because our coaches knew we could attack their front seven with our OL/TE/RB/QB rather than challenge their actual good players in the secondary plus that way we could make the game fewer possessions
  • He said FSU couldn't get "up" for the game. Let me say if they couldn't get up for a game against an ACC opponent to prove that they are too good for the ACC and do so on worldwide TV with no other games in competition for college football eyeballs then they have bigger problems than their QB
He acted like he knew a lot about the sport and was the smartest guy in the room. Those people are usually NOT the smartest ones in the room.

To be fair he was impressed with Haynes King's speed and no, not everything he said was bogus. I just think he got a few really big things wrong.
Agreed. It was obvious he was not thrilled with the outcome and basically FOS. LOL, the O line (4/5 at least) that lead the ACC in least sacks allowed last year can't pass block. (ZERO sacks allowed Saturday btw) We were run heavy, sure, but it's not like we are still trotting out the Flexbone.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We threw the ball 1 more time on average than CPJ did with his throwing QBs averaged, we won pounding the ball. I hope we're back to being a physical running team. Maybe we get a Joe Ham type QB where we throw 25+ times a game and it's more of a hybrid, but this team seems built to run. We threw 28 on average last year but that was likely due to the OL not being developed yet.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We ran because we could, first and foremost. That’s always preferable. We also ran because it was raining early in the game and we saw that we could run (see the first reason above). However, when we got behind the sticks we passed and we did so effectively. That observation is poop.
100%
And I’m so happy we have an OC who doesn’t outthink himself and start trying to throw it in the name of “balance.”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I was not nearly as put off by him as you but certainly agree that he was wrong about the reasons why Tech ran the ball. He also failed to mention that FSU had a similar offensive game plan. Both teams knew that in the first game of the season it would be about not making mistakes and not getting too fancy. Don’t beat yourself and win the war in the trenches.

What he should have said was that Tech beat FSU at their own game.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We run block much better than we pass block. That’s not new. We were a much better run blocking than pass blocking team last year. King is under pressure a good percent of dropbacks. He is very good at avoiding sacks.

This is something to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

And yes our coaches understand our strengths and play to them.
I didn’t say we pass block as well as we run block. I said his assessment of why our game plan was run heavy was not because we are bad at pass blocking.

You’re absolutely right that King avoids sacks quite well. He did a great job of that on one of the third down plays when, I think, their DE put a spin move on our RT and headed straight to King who got the ball out and ridiculously on target a fraction of a second before he was hit. The OL played great and has work to do to improve for sure.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I think FSU assumed they could control the run game with their front 7 early so had two high safeties a lot. They started gambling more later, but against that look we should run the ball. We also popped that long screen to Rutherford and a couple of swings to Haynes. I’m sure as teams bring guys into the box we will throw more.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ice Cold Birrrrrrr

SLOWLY working my way through the posts to savor the win all week.

First off, thanks to the mods for changing the OP title. No f'ing miracle but a brawl in the trenches we won.

Second, wait for the Stoudamire show. But we have a show coming this fall; Key is a master (with HIS staff) in clock management. It was clear to me in the game we were going to kick a long one to end the half. Win or play OT. The ONLY bad play of the game was the lack of a fair catch on the punt. The rest was **** happens and we kept brawling till we won.

Third, absolutely love the Key attitude several times, including immediately after the game that we need to get ready for GSU. And he's confident that the team will get the message (on a 7 hour flight back). And love that Key hit on kids back in classes on Monday. But I think he missed the Go Jackets in his interview, excusable due to time change and different country. When I can ***** about that, life is damn good.

Go Jackets!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
SLOWLY working my way through the posts to savor the win all week.

First off, thanks to the mods for changing the OP title. No f'ing miracle but a brawl in the trenches we won.

Second, wait for the Stoudamire show. But we have a show coming this fall; Key is a master (with HIS staff) in clock management. It was clear to me in the game we were going to kick a long one to end the half. Win or play OT. The ONLY bad play of the game was the lack of a fair catch on the punt. The rest was **** happens and we kept brawling till we won.

Third, absolutely love the Key attitude several times, including immediately after the game that we need to get ready for GSU. And he's confident that the team will get the message (on a 7 hour flight back). And love that Key hit on kids back in classes on Monday. But I think he missed the Go Jackets in his interview, excusable due to time change and different country. When I can ***** about that, life is damn good.

Go Jackets!
Naw he def threw a go jackets in right at the end.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

He is a FSU internet blogger.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

57jacket

Helluva Engineer

slugboy

Staff member
I was not nearly as put off by him as you but certainly agree that he was wrong about the reasons why Tech ran the ball. He also failed to mention that FSU had a similar offensive game plan. Both teams knew that in the first game of the season it would be about not making mistakes and not getting too fancy. Don’t beat yourself and win the war in the trenches.

What he should have said was that Tech beat FSU at their own game.
FSU’s offensive game plan was probably “Tech had one of the worst run defenses in football last year, we have a strong line, let’s bully them”. They had no luck adjusting.

This is a well written article describing GTs run game success.

Preparation leads to success.
They covered our run defense too. It was nice that I didn’t read “Tech just stacked the box”. I’ve seen that a lot.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
No idea who these guys are, but it's a fair analysis.

One thing I think he is right on. We will not have the depth of several teams we are playing. Haynes King is a crucial part of our success and he got beat up a lot in that game. I think Philo is a good QB but he doesn't have the same skill set at King in terms of speed to the outside. Injuries will be crucial moving forward. All you have to do is look back on our 2015 season and see how injuries decimated our team.