FSU Post game thread

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
On that screen to Singleton to set up the game-winning field goal, Hawes had the crushing lead block. It was a thing of beauty.
Completely! And Singleton is tougher than outsiders give him credit for. Many out there seem to think he’s a speedster, and he does have terrific speed. But he also does the dirty work and gets tough yards in a MUST HAVE situation.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Almost needs to be a feature on this site where you can automatically like every comment on a thread.

Someone may have already said this but if you were not a fan of Tech or FSU you still would have found this game exciting. It was a good game. Solid entertainment. I kept wondering what the Irish would think.

What a joy to have this as the first game of the season !

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Highly enjoyable football game. Turned into a grind- it-out, slobber knocker kinda game which is not how GT-FSU games have traditionally gone, where they usually whip-up on us with big plays. To win the game like that was particularly SWEET.

I don't think I have ever experienced so much post-game media love as I saw last night. We had a beautiful game when we were the only game. I was fully expecting the media to launch into coverage of what went wrong with FSU. Instead we got our props, and LOTS of it.

What a golden branding opportunity this game turned out to be. Key's energy is likeable. King is likeable. The players ability to so quickly pick up the Irish Jig is impressive. The team beat the widely hated, self-entitled FSU program.

For a few days we are not only showing our chops on the field, but we are darlings as well. Huge opportunity that we are cashing. So Sweet.

Comments on losing Key are, I believe, misplaced. Remember, GT is not a poor school. We have just had leaders that were not too interested in athletics. That is not the case right now. Cabrera has shown an interest in using the athletics program to bolster the Institute's overall prestige. As long as Cabrera is President, I am not afraid of having Key poached.

Hawes will be big as an in-line TE, but Boyd looked awfully fast attacking the edge on his touch.

Key play of the game was Rutledge sneaking between two FSU players to recover the botched snap.

Singleton was SOOOOOO open on King's overthrow for an easy TD. They tried to cover him, but Singleton easily pulled away from the FSU corner and Safety.

Efford and Butler were Torpedoes out there. Love when the DL frees up linebackers to play like that.

Santucci, in distinction from the previous guy, fakes pre-snap blitzes from one spot, allowing the offense to audible, and then brings pressure from another spot. Where has that been? Our guys quickly started to play loose and fast.

The NFL seems to currently favor slot backs that look a lot like Jamal Haynes. Suspect he may end up in the NFL at some point.

The play by play guy seemed to vastly over-state the difference in size and speed between the teams. Their skill guys were big on offense, but I thought the teams were not that different in terms of size and speed. I think our level of physicality and tenacity surprised FSU a little bit. We just kept swinging. I think we were a bit more consistent in efficiency than they were. Tight game though. Good game.
FSU does not have the explosive receivers this year that they had last season. Or if they do they have not made it into the first team. Our DBs played a lot of man coverage yesterday. They held up very well. The defense will be interesting to watch as it faces different offenses going forward.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
FSU does not have the explosive receivers this year that they had last season. Or if they do they have not made it into the first team. Our DBs played a lot of man coverage yesterday. They held up very well. The defense will be interesting to watch as it faces different offenses going forward.
Well, in fairness to their WR’s, when the game plan is to not pass and your QB is a duck thrower not a lot of ways for WR’s to show themselves. We’ve been there so I can’t knock their guys until Norvell lets the QB throw. They looked fine on that last drive. FSU will win a lot of games this year. We are just better.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Almost needs to be a feature on this site where you can automatically like every comment on a thread.

Someone may have already said this but if you were not a fan of Tech or FSU you still would have found this game exciting. It was a good game. Solid entertainment. I kept wondering what the Irish would think.

What a joy to have this as the first game of the season !
Not that it really matters, but I wonder what the ratings will be for the game. I would think VERY high.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
It is great to get a top-10 victory, the last being 2015 with the miracle of North Avenue win over FSU. Unfortunately, football was a 3-9 year (1-7 ACC). Those of us, who were at Tech in the coach Bud Carson/AD Bobby Dodd/Presidents Harrison, Hansen, and Pettit era (68-72) ups & downs seasons, learned to cope with roller coaster seasons. We have done that since.

Also unfortunate is that President Cabrera has to come back to Tech and get middle of a Federal Department of Justice lawsuit filed Aug 22 against the University System Board of Regents, Georgia Tech and it's affiliate GTRI (now GTRC), alleging Cybersecurity Violations, in addition to alleging Georgia Tech and GTRC submitted a false cybersecurity assessment score to DoD for the Georgia Tech campus. The submission of this score was a “condition of contract award” for Georgia Tech’s GTRC government (mostly DoD) $1.6 billion contracts.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/unit...nstitute-technology-and-georgia-tech-research
GTRC is the contracting arm for GTRI.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yessss. One of the posts below the article had it completely right: Norvell planned the game to run it down our throats and let DJU do enough in passing to not loss the game. Now, you're Mike Norvell. Would you have planned the game any differently? Was there any reason to believe that our run D - one of the worst in the country - would suddenly improve enough to make a run based O plan unfeasible? Or, at halftime, would you see much reason to change the gameplay? After all, they were tied with us and had every expe

ctation that the Tech D would get worn down by their "superior talent". No, Norvell didn't coach the game poorly. Tech's D staff took pretty much the same players who couldn't stop Avondale last year and turned them into ravening wolves. Too bad for the Noles.

Good news for Tech, of course, since the D will probably get better as the year goes on. But first they have to be good enough to stop and 7 win bowl team this week. One at a time, one at a time. Oh and:

If it were me, I would have told DJU, Tech is packing the line of scrimmage you are going to have to throw the ball deep to get them to back off. Its your show now, not the running backs. Norvell would not do it because he does not trust DJU. Can't say I blame him but I would have gone for broke by throwing the damn ball.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’ll bet you that they finish 7-5 at best.
No doubt but as long as Tech is not one of the 7 all the more power to them. I will share what one of my Florida friends told me over the phone calling to congratulate me. Says he: "I am not that impressed with these Criminoles as some of the ones in the past. I think the Gators will tear them up." He might be right. FSU will go as far as DJ can take them.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Media:
“F$U is going to run the ball at will. This was an abysmal defense last year and they have to prove they can stop the run.”

“F$U’s entire d-line will be drafted in the top 100 in the nfl draft. Tech will have a hard time running the ball in this game”.

Game Stats:
F$U: 98 yards rushing
GT: 190 yards rushing
I don't believe the damn media on politics, economics, or anything else why would I believe them on football?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Informational nuggets like this you just get everywhere! Thank you @Heisman's Ghost
Some other fan told me about it and I looked it up. I thought this is crazy. He was a tight end in high school, was all state in basketball and track with a record setting shot put. Pretty good athlete. Someone at Middle Tennessee State moved him to offensive line and he became an All Conference USA lineman.