FSU Post game thread

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
For an average back, Haynes' move wouldn't have worked out. But an outstanding back can make that work. Haynes has explosive cutting ability, a low center of gravity and excellent strength. He's really good and Tech fans should make it a point to enjoy watching him play
Somewhere recall hearing that one of the things he has learned during spring and fall was to be patient and let things develop in front of him.

Seems that he has turned this into a positive!

THWG!

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I believe it is essential to have administrators who actually BELIEVE that. For too long, GT has had leaders who really didn't believe that GT could win. They were there to manage our limitations. We need people who truly, to their bones, believe that GT can and should win.

It starts with Cabrera, who was there in the middle of it.
It is great to get a top-10 victory, the last being 2015 with the miracle of North Avenue win over FSU. Unfortunately, football was a 3-9 year (1-7 ACC). Those of us, who were at Tech in the coach Bud Carson/AD Bobby Dodd/Presidents Harrison, Hansen, and Pettit era (68-72) ups & downs seasons, learned to cope with roller coaster seasons. We have done that since.

Also unfortunate is that President Cabrera has to come back to Tech and get middle of a Federal Department of Justice lawsuit filed Aug 22 against the University System Board of Regents, Georgia Tech and it's affiliate GTRI (now GTRC), alleging Cybersecurity Violations, in addition to alleging Georgia Tech and GTRC submitted a false cybersecurity assessment score to DoD for the Georgia Tech campus. The submission of this score was a “condition of contract award” for Georgia Tech’s GTRC government (mostly DoD) $1.6 billion contracts.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/unit...nstitute-technology-and-georgia-tech-research

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Highly enjoyable football game. Turned into a grind- it-out, slobber knocker kinda game which is not how GT-FSU games have traditionally gone, where they usually whip-up on us with big plays. To win the game like that was particularly SWEET.

I don't think I have ever experienced so much post-game media love as I saw last night. We had a beautiful game when we were the only game. I was fully expecting the media to launch into coverage of what went wrong with FSU. Instead we got our props, and LOTS of it.

What a golden branding opportunity this game turned out to be. Key's energy is likeable. King is likeable. The players ability to so quickly pick up the Irish Jig is impressive. The team beat the widely hated, self-entitled FSU program.

For a few days we are not only showing our chops on the field, but we are darlings as well. Huge opportunity that we are cashing. So Sweet.

Comments on losing Key are, I believe, misplaced. Remember, GT is not a poor school. We have just had leaders that were not too interested in athletics. That is not the case right now. Cabrera has shown an interest in using the athletics program to bolster the Institute's overall prestige. As long as Cabrera is President, I am not afraid of having Key poached.

Hawes will be big as an in-line TE, but Boyd looked awfully fast attacking the edge on his touch.

Key play of the game was Rutledge sneaking between two FSU players to recover the botched snap.

Singleton was SOOOOOO open on King's overthrow for an easy TD. They tried to cover him, but Singleton easily pulled away from the FSU corner and Safety.

Efford and Butler were Torpedoes out there. Love when the DL frees up linebackers to play like that.

Santucci, in distinction from the previous guy, fakes pre-snap blitzes from one spot, allowing the offense to audible, and then brings pressure from another spot. Where has that been? Our guys quickly started to play loose and fast.

The NFL seems to currently favor slot backs that look a lot like Jamal Haynes. Suspect he may end up in the NFL at some point.

The play by play guy seemed to vastly over-state the difference in size and speed between the teams. Their skill guys were big on offense, but I thought the teams were not that different in terms of size and speed. I think our level of physicality and tenacity surprised FSU a little bit. We just kept swinging. I think we were a bit more consistent in efficiency than they were. Tight game though. Good game.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When the guy at the very top cares, good things trickle down. Our guy at the top REALLY cares. Remember the presser when Cabrera announced Collins and Stansbury were let go, and said GT Athletics should be just as ELITE as GT Academics? Well, GT fans, are you starting to believe?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The War Chant article quickly devolved into a DJU hate/love fest. Mostly hate but this game was not on him. FSU could not do the one thing I thought they could execute and we would not stop it. That is, run the football. Could not do it, not consistently.
Yessss. One of the posts below the article had it completely right: Norvell planned the game to run it down our throats and let DJU do enough in passing to not loss the game. Now, you're Mike Norvell. Would you have planned the game any differently? Was there any reason to believe that our run D - one of the worst in the country - would suddenly improve enough to make a run based O plan unfeasible? Or, at halftime, would you see much reason to change the gameplay? After all, they were tied with us and had every expe

ctation that the Tech D would get worn down by their "superior talent". No, Norvell didn't coach the game poorly. Tech's D staff took pretty much the same players who couldn't stop Avondale last year and turned them into ravening wolves. Too bad for the Noles.

Good news for Tech, of course, since the D will probably get better as the year goes on. But first they have to be good enough to stop and 7 win bowl team this week. One at a time, one at a time. Oh and:

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Media:
“F$U is going to run the ball at will. This was an abysmal defense last year and they have to prove they can stop the run.”

“F$U’s entire d-line will be drafted in the top 100 in the nfl draft. Tech will have a hard time running the ball in this game”.

Game Stats:
F$U: 98 yards rushing
GT: 190 yards rushing
F$U had 58 yards rushing on 1st drive. 40 yards for REMAINDER of game

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys, I know I’m an outlier in many ways and I have a long memory, but that win will now help me close the door on the Penn State game. Yes, it was 33 years ago, but that game, like this one, was our shot to enter back into big time college football as a yearly ranked team who gets all the benefits from that (not falling to far after a loss, being ranked every preseason, NCAA looking the other way on stuff, etc). Against Penn State we fell flat on our face and have never really covered. Sure, we’ve had the once every 6 year 9-10 win season, but we were out of the club. And then a decade of good football meant little because we were playing “outdated” football under Johnson which was such a BS media, anti-recruiting tactic.

This win, while playing the modern version of the game, has put us in position to get back into the club if we simply keep playing well. There is no knock they can label us with. Our OC came from UGA, we just got our first 5* commitment and we win the only game of the weekend everyone watched. In my view, GT football started anew yesterday and I for one can let go of a lot of the mental baggage we’ve all lived with the past 30 years. O’Leary had us on the move but when mama calls you gotta go. We are back to that point.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Guys, I know I’m an outlier in many ways and I have a long memory, but that win will now help me close the door on the Penn State game. Yes, it was 33 years ago, but that game, like this one, was our shot to enter back into big time college football as a yearly ranked team who gets all the benefits from that (not falling to far after a loss, being ranked every preseason, NCAA looking the other way on stuff, etc). Against Penn State we fell flat on our face and have never really covered. Sure, we’ve had the once every 6 year 9-10 win season, but we were out of the club. And then a decade of good football meant little because we were playing “outdated” football under Johnson which was such a BS media, anti-recruiting tactic.

This win, while playing the modern version of the game, has put us in position to get back into the club if we simply keep playing well. There is no knock they can label us with. Our OC came from UGA, we just got our first 5* commitment and we win the only game of the weekend everyone watched. In my view, GT football started anew yesterday and I for one can let go of a lot of the mental baggage we’ve all lived with the past 30 years. O’Leary had us on the move but when mama calls you gotta go. We are back to that point.
Glad you are back. Last night showed modern football with lots of running, QB running the ball, motions and mesh options. Compared to that Johnson crap with lots of running, QB running the ball, motions and mesh options.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Highly enjoyable football game. Turned into a grind- it-out, slobber knocker kinda game which is not how GT-FSU games have traditionally gone, where they usually whip-up on us with big plays. To win the game like that was particularly SWEET.

I don't think I have ever experienced so much post-game media love as I saw last night. We had a beautiful game when we were the only game. I was fully expecting the media to launch into coverage of what went wrong with FSU. Instead we got our props, and LOTS of it.

What a golden branding opportunity this game turned out to be. Key's energy is likeable. King is likeable. The players ability to so quickly pick up the Irish Jig is impressive. The team beat the widely hated, self-entitled FSU program.

For a few days we are not only showing our chops on the field, but we are darlings as well. Huge opportunity that we are cashing. So Sweet.

Comments on losing Key are, I believe, misplaced. Remember, GT is not a poor school. We have just had leaders that were not too interested in athletics. That is not the case right now. Cabrera has shown an interest in using the athletics program to bolster the Institute's overall prestige. As long as Cabrera is President, I am not afraid of having Key poached.

Hawes will be big as an in-line TE, but Boyd looked awfully fast attacking the edge on his touch.

Key play of the game was Rutledge sneaking between two FSU players to recover the botched snap.

Singleton was SOOOOOO open on King's overthrow for an easy TD. They tried to cover him, but Singleton easily pulled away from the FSU corner and Safety.

Efford and Butler were Torpedoes out there. Love when the DL frees up linebackers to play like that.

Santucci, in distinction from the previous guy, fakes pre-snap blitzes from one spot, allowing the offense to audible, and then brings pressure from another spot. Where has that been? Our guys quickly started to play loose and fast.

The NFL seems to currently favor slot backs that look a lot like Jamal Haynes. Suspect he may end up in the NFL at some point.

The play by play guy seemed to vastly over-state the difference in size and speed between the teams. Their skill guys were big on offense, but I thought the teams were not that different in terms of size and speed. I think our level of physicality and tenacity surprised FSU a little bit. We just kept swinging. I think we were a bit more consistent in efficiency than they were. Tight game though. Good game.
Listened to Barrett Sallee and Tom Luginbill on SiriusXM a bit ago and they were both talking about seeing the GT players up close over in Dublin and Luginbill when he visited GT earlier this month. They both said that the GT players looked the part. They were every bit as big as the FSU players and just looked like other top teams.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

BTW how long has it been since you can say every player was solid to great yesterday. Yes there’s lots of work to do and nobody played a perfect game. But everyone just went out and did their job at a high level.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
When the guy at the very top cares, good things trickle down. Our guy at the top REALLY cares. Remember the presser when Cabrera announced Collins and Stansbury were let go, and said GT Athletics should be just as ELITE as GT Academics? Well, GT fans, are you starting to believe?

President Cabrera is awesome in his full-throated support for GT athletics. Thank you!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Key has made this team tough, but most importantly, mentally tough. We get a sack on 3rd down that is wiped out by a face mask and give up a huge screen pass the very next play. Most Tech teams in the past few years would give up a TD. We held them to a FG. King fumbles the ball as we’re driving to take the lead, causing a 3rd down and long, an automatic drive killer in the past. What does King do the next play? Stand in the pocket and deliver a dime for a first down. We fumble the snap as we’re running out the clock to set up the game winning FG. Surely we either panic with a bad pass or play it safe with a draw setting up a very difficult kick, playing not to lose? No, we calming call a smart screen pass to our best player who makes a play to get us back in FG range. Lastly, Birr misses a 51 yarder earlier in the game. That has to be on his mind during the game winner. It doesn’t matter. He makes it. These are winning plays. You don’t win every play. The winning teams don’t allow the bad plays to cloud their judgement on the next. We’ve done that in the past A LOT. We never did in Dublin. That starts at the top. Good leadership.
On that screen to Singleton to set up the game-winning field goal, Hawes had the crushing lead block. It was a thing of beauty.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just got back in the states in time to watch the game at the airport, and I was happy we had weather delays as I was just seated in the plane with 4 min left in the game and had to wait on the fuel truck. Everything lined up for me to watch our Fighting Jackets pull out the hard fought win.

I was hoping to see competitive football and they surpassed that. Now lets keep working on improving the defense, work on better accuracy from King. And keep our heads in the game. No more embarrassing losses. We needed to steel at least one game in order to go bowling and now we are in the driver seat to our post season play. Great job Coach Key and Great Job Jacket Nation
I've got even better news for you @BuzzStone.

Yesterday's game, against #10 FSU, was not a game that we stole.