FSU Post game thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Norvel is an arrogant pr***! Going for 2 after the 1st TD signaled his intent to run up the score. He's never been a good coach, but a helluva good recruiter. Several years ago he almost blew a game against LSU when he had the game won with a pat but went for 2 pt . My memory is failing me. Anybody remember that?

To be fair, a lot of teams line up in the "swinging gate" formation for XPs. The point is whether the other team lines up to defend it correctly. If they do line up correctly, the XP team just shifts back into regular FG formation. FSU just saw that they had the numbers to one side and took advantage. Very similar to what CPJ use to do before we snapped the ball.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
McAfee was a punter. Somebody please tell me why anyone is paying attention to him.
I get why people don’t like him. He’s a blowhard among other things. And apparently that appeals to a large segment of the population. He’s not afraid to say and do stupid things because, as PT Barnum once said “there’s no such thing as bad press” and Oscar Wilde said “There’s only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”

He was a pretty good football player. Yeah he was a punter but he was also unafraid to stick his nose into making the tackles. I always liked that. I don’t dig his show or schtick but he is who he is and that gets attention and that’s all he wants and that’s what gets clicks and views. To me he is 100% comic relief and that’s all.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It is so nice to have a mean , gritty fundamentally sound football team, kudos to Key and the staff
100 GIF by AT&T

I’ll take a tough, fundamentally sound team every day over fancy and glamorous. I grew up in the DC area when The Hogs were just as much the faces of the Washington team as anyone else. We appreciated and LOVED that that was the identity of the team. A good OL makes everyone else on an offense look better. They are the ultimate force multiplier just like on defense the DL makes everything else go.

One thing about the game that really stood out to me is that every part of the team was a huge part of the win. It wasn’t just the offense or the defense or the special teams. That was truly the definition of a team win.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Norvel is an arrogant pr***! Going for 2 after the 1st TD signaled his intent to run up the score. He's never been a good coach, but a helluva good recruiter. Several years ago he almost blew a game against LSU when he had the game won with a pat but went for 2 pt . My memory is failing me. Anybody remember that?
I think he went for 2 because he knew they were in for limited possessions because we would keep the FB with our offense and he was worried about getting enough points to win.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Love this quote:

"It's a great step forward for our program," Tech athletic director J Batt said postgame, "but it's really where we belong."
I believe it is essential to have administrators who actually BELIEVE that. For too long, GT has had leaders who really didn't believe that GT could win. They were there to manage our limitations. We need people who truly, to their bones, believe that GT can and should win.

It starts with Cabrera, who was there in the middle of it.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Key has made this team tough, but most importantly, mentally tough. We get a sack on 3rd down that is wiped out by a face mask and give up a huge screen pass the very next play. Most Tech teams in the past few years would give up a TD. We held them to a FG. King fumbles the ball as we’re driving to take the lead, causing a 3rd down and long, an automatic drive killer in the past. What does King do the next play? Stand in the pocket and deliver a dime for a first down. We fumble the snap as we’re running out the clock to set up the game winning FG. Surely we either panic with a bad pass or play it safe with a draw setting up a very difficult kick, playing not to lose? No, we calming call a smart screen pass to our best player who makes a play to get us back in FG range. Lastly, Birr misses a 51 yarder earlier in the game. That has to be on his mind during the game winner. It doesn’t matter. He makes it. These are winning plays. You don’t win every play. The winning teams don’t allow the bad plays to cloud their judgement on the next. We’ve done that in the past A LOT. We never did in Dublin. That starts at the top. Good leadership.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I loved how we played under Paul Johnson, and these games (and this post) make me feel the same way. There’s nothing like seeing a defense become defeated by a 15 play drive - it’s so demoralizing. Love how tough we are in the run game.
I was thinking the same. That was a six and a half minute death march at the end leading to the winning FG as time expired. Classic CPJ. Classic CBK.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I gotta admit, when I was watching this play I was screaming at the TV....don't stop, what are you doing, get the first down, ooh, fantastic!!
For an average back, Haynes' move wouldn't have worked out. But an outstanding back can make that work. Haynes has explosive cutting ability, a low center of gravity and excellent strength. He's really good and Tech fans should make it a point to enjoy watching him play

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I believe it is essential to have administrators who actually BELIEVE that. For too long, GT has had leaders who really didn't believe that GT could win. They were there to manage our limitations. We need people who truly, to their bones, believe that GT can and should win.

It starts with Cabrera, who was there in the middle of it.
Cabrera was there at the game. I don’t know that I’ve seen that. Was Peterson in Dublin in 2016?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Nothing wrong for going for 2 at anytime. Norvell is a good offensive coach. Our D played way better than anything I thought possible.