FSU Post game thread

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if anyone has said this so far, but kudos to CHAD ALEXANDER dude has earned some serious snaps. Gives me some very serious Smith hardnosed run it-down-your-throat ball. Love it.
I’ve been waaay behind all day but I thought the same thing. I have no idea how this gameplan was supposed to work but Cooley was by all indication RB2 and he went out on th opening kickoff. Alexander was an absolute stud at RB2 the rest of the day. He had nice runs all day long. Kudos to him… especially if he didn’t know this morning how big he was about to be.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I like how we opened up the defense schematically after the first drive. Blitzes were complex and came from everywhere and yet, were executed quite well. They were effective against the run as well as the pass. We got into their backfield and disrupted the flow of their plays just enough to affect outcomes. In truth, I haven't seen it like that in quite a while. The grand total of 1 sack doesn't tell the story. After drive 1, I think they averaged under 2 yds per rushing attempt the rest of the way. That's good stuff.

They were a tough opponent in the trenches and yet, we got the better of the interior work on both sides of the ball. We may have had to use numbers on defense to do it, but our cover guys held up while alone on the island. Both OL and DL have improved with the use of their hands and getting leverage with their lower half. That was good looking stuff out there.

It has been a while since I have seen organized play, while at the same time showing a true mean streak across the board. For the first time in ages, I feel the level of effort on the field has actually matched the words that were coming out of coaches and players mouthes during camp.

In short, our program is developing integrity and credibility. One game does not make a season, but I sure like what I saw today.
I had flashbacks to the days of the zone blitz schemes under Chan. I remember reading one of those quotes by opposing coaches and one of them put it succinctly "The bastards come from everywhere." Pretty much what I saw today the bastards were coming from everywhere.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You know who feels REALLY good right now?

O’Leary.

He was at the game today, and I can imagine how proud he is of seeing his former player, and a coach that he brought up and mentored, do something at Tech that he was never able to do: Beat Florida State.
Well, in all fairness to Coach O'Leary those FSU teams under Coach Bowdon were just a little bit more talented than the one today /s/

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if anyone's mentioned this but hats off to MTSU transfer Keyland Rutledge for recovering Haynes King's fumble and keep the drive alive for Tech's third TD. Bunch of Seminoles around the ball but Rutledge came up with it. Big, big play.
Pounced on it like the former tight end he was in high school. Funny thing about Keyland is that he was all state in two sports in high school but neither of them was football.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
After several Eagle Rare shots I’m realizing that, although it was a most enjoyable win over a hated rival, we just beat a overhyped mediocre team with a less than mediocre quarterback. Tough road ahead, but I have confidence in our guys and I like our chances. Go Jackets.
I wouldn't mind having the talent on both sides of the ball that this "overhyped mediocre team with a less than mediocre quarterback" has. FSU is loaded down with talent but they have not played together and DJ to put it charitably has never shown any ability or desire to put a team on his shoulders and carry them. Usually they end up carrying him. That said, he played a good game and did what had to be done in leading his team to a fourth quarter touchdown to tie the game.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn't mind having the talent on both sides of the ball that this "overhyped mediocre team with a less than mediocre quarterback" has. FSU is loaded down with talent but they have not played together and DJ to put it charitably has never shown any ability or desire to put a team on his shoulders and carry them. Usually they end up carrying him. That said, he played a good game and did what had to be done in leading his team to a fourth quarter touchdown to tie the game.
I’ll bet you that they finish 7-5 at best.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
After several Eagle Rare shots I’m realizing that, although it was a most enjoyable win over a hated rival, we just beat a overhyped mediocre team with a less than mediocre quarterback. Tough road ahead, but I have confidence in our guys and I like our chances. Go Jackets.
That’s the hazard of running roughshod through a really tough schedule. As you start knocking them off, folks are going to call them paper tigers. As long and we keep winning, it’ll prove itself out.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
New comers:
Rutledge with the false start but game saver recovery with 4 noles around him

Tahj Butler looked like he had played with us for a while. Laying the wood.

Height had the unfortunate facemask but man we have missed that Edge presence. He and Van den Berg really add to our DL presence. Nice to be able to sub guys and not have a huge dropoff.

I’m sorry Chad Alexander, I was not familiar with your game. I had to double check after runs to see if it was he or Jamal. The highest compliment. I’ve been saying we need a bruiser, but two violent running small backs will work too.

Jackson Hawes. My lord. Rarely does a TE stand out like that to me. Dude was posterizing FSU defenders. I actually texted during the game about his blocking. Absolute monster.

I’m loving the new additions. Can wait to see more

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Media:
“F$U is going to run the ball at will. This was an abysmal defense last year and they have to prove they can stop the run.”

“F$U’s entire d-line will be drafted in the top 100 in the nfl draft. Tech will have a hard time running the ball in this game”.

Game Stats:
F$U: 98 yards rushing
GT: 190 yards rushing