From a fan of 55 years and what i see

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Engineers are people who, by training and nature, are experts at solving problems. Accordingly, I've long wondered why an alumni group of said engineers don't actually try to do anything about solving the problems that we all recognize exist for GT...specifically with regards to the football team.

Problem: Most of the elite-level high school football players are either incapable of passing the calculus requirements of Tech or, at the very least, are unwilling to try.
Potential solution: Rather than 'dumbing down' the existing degrees, how about creating a new major that does not have a calculus requirement. One that seems to make a great deal of sense would be a Media/Broadcasting and Communications degree with a focus in not only the technology used in the broadcast arena but potentially a few 'in front of the camera or microphone' classes. With our proximity to CNN and the other Turner stations, the internships for this would be all too obvious.

Problem: We can't put in a major without calculus because of our STEM requirement from the Georgia BOR.
Potential Solution: Get a majority of the members on the BOR to be Tech men/women so you can change the requirements. And yes, that might mean that a Tech person needs to get elected as governor. But I'll also point out that I cannot recall the BOR turning down Tech's requests for additional degrees. It may have happened but I imagine it is more of a "you haven't asked so it hasn't been approved" situation.

Problem: We can't afford to pay our coaches as much as the other programs.
Potential Solution 1) Do something like Clemson's IPTAY program as a start. Making it a priority of emphasis that EVERY alumnus (yes, even the Asian and other non-native students) should take pride in their institute and send in $10 every year to help out would accomplish a couple of things. (A) It brings in money...maybe not a lot at first but it would help and, more importantly (B) it establishes a habit of giving.
Potential Solution 2) Schedule better/tougher out-of-conference games. I'm sorry but Tulane, Jacksonville State and the rest of the teams from the Little Sisters of the Poor conference are just a harder sell. Does it mean our football team will have a harder time? Of course, but if we want to be an elite level program, we have to learn to beat better competition. But playing better competition means more attractive games for TV...which helps with coverage...which helps with recruiting.

Problem: We don't sell out the stadium.
Potential Solution: Well, if we schedule better opponents, that helps with part of the draw. But there are literally a DOZEN things that are pretty easily implemented to help with this and also with recruiting. For instance:
A) Identify some of the schools in the metro area where we traditionally have a tough time recruiting (but which also produce quality athletes) and provide complimentary block seats for the football team from that school. Not over & over but a different one each time. Make them part of the Yellow Jacket alley walk, complete with lanyards identifying the players and have them follow the Tech players and coaches and identify as part of the program. Don't do it every home game but maybe one to two games per year. Make it something that is special and an honor to be a part of.
B) Reach out to former letter winners in the big 3 sports at Tech and create a tailgating area just for them. Provide a small section that accomodates this group of guys and their families at the games but let them out onto the sidelines during warmups and if they happen to meet up with these kids from High School X, well that's ok, too. This gives those high school kids an opportunity that many of them will never get. Some of them may end up being GT fans and one day buy tickets. Some of them may actually think favorably of Tech when it comes recruiting time. But, with respect to the former players, not only make it a place where they feel good attending but one in which they are celebrated and made to feel welcome and special. This raises the likelihood that this group will become more involved in helping to fund future endeavors if they become reinvested in the program.
C) Hire someone in the GTAA who actually has a clue about customer service and marketing promotions.

I'm sure there are more problems and these are only potential solutions. Some may make sense...some not. But my biggest gripe with many Tech fans is that we keep waiting on 'big money guys' or other people to solve the problem. Folks...it's up to us. Vote with your dollars. Vote with your attendance. Make your voices heard to the GTAA and don't stop telling them until they start listening. And if they don't start listening, start a campaign to get those people ousted and replaced by people who actually will. But it will take a groundswell coming from the likes of you & me to make it happen. If I have learned anything over the past 32 years of being a Tech fan, it's that the GTAA isn't going to do it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Problem: Most of the elite-level high school football players are either incapable of passing the calculus requirements of Tech or, at the very least, are unwilling to try.
Potential solution: Rather than 'dumbing down' the existing degrees, how about creating a new major that does not have a calculus requirement. One that seems to make a great deal of sense would be a Media/Broadcasting and Communications degree with a focus in not only the technology used in the broadcast arena but potentially a few 'in front of the camera or microphone' classes. With our proximity to CNN and the other Turner stations, the internships for this would be all too obvious.

This is one of my big issues with the current state of NCAA football. In a lot of places, NCAA football is basically minor league NFL football. In the factory schools some very large percentage of the football players would not have any interest in that school, or college at all if it weren't for the chance to make the NFL. If there were a minor league system that the players could get paid while playing and have a chance to make the NFL, many of them would play minor league instead of college. It isn't fair to the players to REQUIRE them to attend college. It also isn't fair to the college students to create "athlete" programs in order to run a minor league NFL program. It isn't fair to "students" who could potentially play football to deny them scholarships and make them sit in the stands while "minor league professional" players breeze through classes on their way to an NFL career(they hope).

Most one-and-done basketball players are not "students". There have been stories about one-and-done players who show up at the school, do barely enough to stay eligible in the Fall, and don't even attend classes in the Spring. They then leave for the NBA. It is extremely disappointing to me that the NCAA programs take advantage of these student(semi-pro) athletes and totally ignore the academic purpose of the Universities.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Engineers are people who, by training and nature, are experts at solving problems. Accordingly, I've long wondered why an alumni group of said engineers don't actually try to do anything about solving the problems that we all recognize exist for GT...specifically with regards to the football team.

Problem: We can't put in a major without calculus because of our STEM requirement from the Georgia BOR.
Potential Solution: Get a majority of the members on the BOR to be Tech men/women so you can change the requirements. And yes, that might mean that a Tech person needs to get elected as governor. But I'll also point out that I cannot recall the BOR turning down Tech's requests for additional degrees. It may have happened but I imagine it is more of a "you haven't asked so it hasn't been approved" situation.

Potential Solution 1) Do something like Clemson's IPTAY program as a start. Making it a priority of emphasis that EVERY alumnus (yes, even the Asian and other non-native students) should take pride in their institute and send in $10 every year to help out would accomplish a couple of things. (A) It brings in money...maybe not a lot at first but it would help and, more importantly (B) it establishes a habit of giving.
Potential Solution 2) Schedule better/tougher out-of-conference games. I'm sorry but Tulane, Jacksonville State and the rest of the teams from the Little Sisters of the Poor conference are just a harder sell. Does it mean our football team will have a harder time? Of course, but if we want to be an elite level program, we have to learn to beat better competition. But playing better competition means more attractive games for TV...which helps with coverage...which helps with recruiting.

Potential Solution: Well, if we schedule better opponents, that helps with part of the draw. But there are literally a DOZEN things that are pretty easily implemented to help with this and also with recruiting. For instance:
A) Identify some of the schools in the metro area where we traditionally have a tough time recruiting (but which also produce quality athletes) and provide complimentary block seats for the football team from that school. Not over & over but a different one each time. Make them part of the Yellow Jacket alley walk, complete with lanyards identifying the players and have them follow the Tech players and coaches and identify as part of the program. Don't do it every home game but maybe one to two games per year. Make it something that is special and an honor to be a part of.
B) Reach out to former letter winners in the big 3 sports at Tech and create a tailgating area just for them. Provide a small section that accomodates this group of guys and their families at the games but let them out onto the sidelines during warmups and if they happen to meet up with these kids from High School X, well that's ok, too. This gives those high school kids an opportunity that many of them will never get. Some of them may end up being GT fans and one day buy tickets. Some of them may actually think favorably of Tech when it comes recruiting time. But, with respect to the former players, not only make it a place where they feel good attending but one in which they are celebrated and made to feel welcome and special. This raises the likelihood that this group will become more involved in helping to fund future endeavors if they become reinvested in the program.
C) Hire someone in the GTAA who actually has a clue about customer service and marketing promotions.

I'm sure there are more problems and these are only potential solutions. Some may make sense...some not. But my biggest gripe with many Tech fans is that we keep waiting on 'big money guys' or other people to solve the problem. Folks...it's up to us. Vote with your dollars. Vote with your attendance. Make your voices heard to the GTAA and don't stop telling them until they start listening. And if they don't start listening, start a campaign to get those people ousted and replaced by people who actually will. But it will take a groundswell coming from the likes of you & me to make it happen. If I have learned anything over the past 32 years of being a Tech fan, it's that the GTAA isn't going to do it.
Thanks for the well thought out post.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a recruiting violation mixing letterman with recruits at games. I would cover the upper half of the end zone and fill the rest of the stadium. Having a bunch of people wearing non GT colors in free seats does not really help much. Also with every club level seat give a additional club level pass. So the folks who watch the game in the AC can let someone use their ticket and be in the stands. Then maybe that section won't look so horrible on TV.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So the folks who watch the game in the AC can let someone use their ticket and be in the stands. Then maybe that section won't look so horrible on TV.
You are right that this section is by far the worst optic for TV. Ironic that those who supposedly are the biggest supporters of the program and "put their money where their mouth is" are also the ones who, on TV, make it look like Tech has no support.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's a recruiting violation mixing letterman with recruits at games. I would cover the upper half of the end zone and fill the rest of the stadium. Having a bunch of people wearing non GT colors in free seats does not really help much. Also with every club level seat give a additional club level pass. So the folks who watch the game in the AC can let someone use their ticket and be in the stands. Then maybe that section won't look so horrible on TV.
Would be nice if the TV cameras faced the west stands and not the east stands.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You are right that this section is by far the worst optic for TV. Ironic that those who supposedly are the biggest supporters of the program and "put their money where their mouth is" are also the ones who, on TV, make it look like Tech has no support.
Simple fix, sell the club and club section separately. If you want to sit in the AC, you don't get a seat in the sun. Of course, you'd have to adjust the price. If somebody wanted both, they'd have to buy both.

Boy, you hit the nail on the head with C). You might include overall PR as well.
Regarding the BOR and majors at Tech, I believe I am correct in saying that after Homer Rice finally got the Hill to agree to it, the BOR vetoed a Sports Management degree at Tech.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
the club level is in direct sun, I don't blame folks for enjoying a cold or hot beverage in the AC or in a dry heated area depending on what time of year it is. Just add passes so there are more people in the lounge than seats so the seats have people in them.

the club level is in direct sun, I don't blame folks for enjoying a cold or hot beverage in the AC or in a dry heated area depending on what time of year it is. Just add passes so there are more people in the lounge than seats so the seats have people in them.
I sit in the upper deck above the club level, and my seats are in the direct sun too. I wouldn't think of escaping the weather just to be a little more comfortable, and it pisses me off that there are so many in that section who do just that. If you're a true fan, you don't cheer from a TV room, you cheer from the stands, regardless of how hot or cold or rainy or whatever it gets.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I can beat the OP on one fact. I am celebrating my 60th year as a GT fan. I became a Tech fan in the 8th grade in 1956 when I discovered football. Tech went 9-1 in the regular season and won the Gator Bowl over Penn State. From 1957 thru 1960 we went into a swoon, caused by Ed Harrison amping up the academics. Today's fan would have destroyed the internet with Dodd Bashing. But people back then were more realistic, we knew we had a great Coach. In 1961 we started winning again, the year I entered Tech. I never heard any complaining about Dodd, except from those losers in Athens. I totally thought that he would find a way to win against any odds. I that CPJ has his hands and feet tied by the monster GT has become academically. He is a perfect fit to win in such a rediculas atmosphere.
We beat Pittsburg twice in 1956. I was at the Gator Bowl.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If we won more games against power 5 and occasionally wipped their xxx , would we have more or less MONEY? I think a lot more. Coach is not the problem IMO.

Damn engineering company kept growing and some how we found money for buildings and higher salaries. Winning bids solves almost everything.

Honestly, if you think that simply having more wins will double our revenue (that's what it would take to get into SEC area of revenue), I think you're dreaming and more than dreaming. We have neither the alumni base or the stadium size of the "big boys" and NO amount of winning changes that fact. Say all you want about sidewalk fans, virtually every college football program (Notre Dame excepted) has its revenue tied to the size of its alumni base. The big boys will always be able to outplay a really good coach, and will always be able to pluck a good coach out of a place like GT.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I sit in the upper deck above the club level, and my seats are in the direct sun too. I wouldn't think of escaping the weather just to be a little more comfortable, and it pisses me off that there are so many in that section who do just that. If you're a true fan, you don't cheer from a TV room, you cheer from the stands, regardless of how hot or cold or rainy or whatever it gets.
All club level seats in stadiums have lounge areas, it's just GT is the only stadium in America where the outdoor seating is lower level 50 yard line. Half the outdoor seats in most club/suites are empty w people moving back and forth, it's just at GT it happens to be behind the visitors bench and on TV... For a Engineering school, GT sure does some Stupid things.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, if you think that simply having more wins will double our revenue (that's what it would take to get into SEC area of revenue), I think you're dreaming and more than dreaming. We have neither the alumni base or the stadium size of the "big boys" and NO amount of winning changes that fact. Say all you want about sidewalk fans, virtually every college football program (Notre Dame excepted) has its revenue tied to the size of its alumni base. The big boys will always be able to outplay a really good coach, and will always be able to pluck a good coach out of a place like GT.
You are correct, beating the big boys would help recruiting but, adding butts in seats it would not. Historically, we have never had huge crowds.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Love the Name calling.

You are right. I never learned to sit, stay, and come like a good engineer.
I admit I am a dreamer - it worked for me and a group of associates as we built a 1500 man engineering business from scratch. During the 30 years of turbulent times in the oil patch, the hardest part is staying hungry for solid growth each year. Some years more revenue. Some years add new areas of business.

What asset do we have that no one has? We are in ATLANTA - a great city thats very close to emense football talent. If we somehow put together several great seasons in a row (money flows ) & gt football a hot ticket , we politic with BOR to see the good in this continuing ( raise out of state tuition),- be very selectively recruit nation wide and intensively recruit in the south.

Your downer about dreamers should be focused on holding our leafers on the hill and gtaa accountable for failing to dream big.

With aggressive leaders on Hill and GTAA, Ga tech football could compete with big boys.

As an example
I donate to baylor and gt.
Google "Sloan Baylor president" punch Wiki and note the date he was replaced Baylor (2005 during his tenure average wins football in conference =1) after 2 years of dismal performance they hired art brilles. Before that they were almost out of college football. Now they have a new stadium with sold out seats , record enrollment, & coach that w bonus made a little less than SABAN, and they are seen as WINNERS with a pass happy offense and aggressive defense.

For us ourfIrst step is coach shows last year a fluke and he has fixed the staff and system. This will confirm a lot of things.

Second step we scrape some $$ to get better much much recruiting. To keep the winning going. If we win 3 years in a row, look out.

You are correct, beating the big boys would help recruiting but, adding butts in seats it would not. Historically, we have never had huge crowds.
Historically maybe since the 70s, but prior to then Tech had the largest non-bowl stadium in the southeast. Back in the late 40s and early 50s, when most stadiums only had 40 - 50K seats, Dodd said that we could have put 75K in those stands week after week, if the stadium had been large enough. We just couldn't keep up with the factories after Dodd left.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Historically maybe since the 70s, but prior to then Tech had the largest non-bowl stadium in the southeast. Back in the late 40s and early 50s, when most stadiums only had 40 - 50K seats, Dodd said that we could have put 75K in those stands week after week, if the stadium had been large enough. We just couldn't keep up with the factories after Dodd left.

Not meaning to contradict what you are saying, but I did some research a few years ago with listed attendance figures and there were only about 7 years scattered between the mid 50s and early 60s (with an outlier in 67, the first year of the upper west) where Tech showed sellouts. Granted,I was not there, but talking to family members who were, it was a similar situation as now. Tech relied on teams that travelled well to fill the place up. Back in those days, coming to Atlanta was a big treat for other fans akin to coming to a bowl

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not meaning to contradict what you are saying, but I did some research a few years ago with listed attendance figures and there were only about 7 years scattered between the mid 50s and early 60s (with an outlier in 67, the first year of the upper west) where Tech showed sellouts. Granted,I was not there, but talking to family members who were, it was a similar situation as now. Tech relied on teams that travelled well to fill the place up. Back in those days, coming to Atlanta was a big treat for other fans akin to coming to a bowl
Memories are funny things. I remember as a kid the stadium always looking sold out. But on the other hand it was usually against Tennessee, Auburn or Georgia or some other team that traveled well.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Not saying Baylor did not do a good job, but have you looked at their Huge offering of Majors that do not require much of anything. Classes discussing what it feels like to be poor etc... The only neg GT has in the ability to recruit the " football only players" is academics. In some households that's also GT's biggest advantage. GT does need to do a better job marketing. Games at GT are fun and exciting. With effort they should easily be able to attract 50,000 people to every home game. You have to Make it exciting , sell it. GT just list the schedule and is ok w whoever shows up. Like the spring game. No porta Pottys , no trash cans. Really no advertising. If your going to attract new fans, they at least need to know that there is a game going on.

Last edited: