From a fan of 55 years and what i see

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Need more exposure. The city of Atlanta needs to get behind this team like it did in the 90's, and not just for football. My dad used to tell me students would camp out to get into Basketball games in the 90's, man i'd give anything to be around back then.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Its all about the money.

Agreed. It's always about the money.

Homer Rice was a fund raiser. We went from a pitiful 1-AA level program in 1980 to 5 consecutive top 25 ranked teams from 1997-2001 under the program that Homer built. In the '90's, we were competitive to very good in basketball, baseball, golf..... Homer retired with money in the GTAA bank account. Homer was a free spender, but he raised the money to spend.

Clough brought in his buddy Braine. Braine wasted money, sat on his fat butt, and didn't raise money. The decline began.

Radakovich borrowed money, built facilities, and left the bill on the table for his successor. Better fund raiser than Braine, but not exceptional.

Bobinski- can't figure him out. Doesn't seem to be a fund raiser. Seems to be fiscally conservative, which may balance the budget. However, balancing the budget without fund raising means that there is no money to spend.

Which is back to your point.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Need more exposure. The city of Atlanta needs to get behind this team like it did in the 90's, and not just for football. My dad used to tell me students would camp out to get into Basketball games in the 90's, man i'd give anything to be around back then.

I remember camping out one year for Duke tickets. It was freezing. I think the low that night was supposed to be 30. The ticket office was in BDS. Someone jumped the fence into the stadium and hooked up one of those outlets that screws into a light socket. He ran an extension cord out to the ticket line. One of the frats brought out a couch and everyone huddled around and watched a TV someone brought. I hooked up an electric blanket, cranked it up to max, and I was still cold. Fortunately, at midnight the AA told everyone to go home, gave everyone in line a voucher and told us to come back in the morning.

Hopefully, soon I'll be back to caring about GT Basketball as much as I did then.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I remember camping out one year for Duke tickets. It was freezing. I think the low that night was supposed to be 30. The ticket office was in BDS. Someone jumped the fence into the stadium and hooked up one of those outlets that screws into a light socket. He ran an extension cord out to the ticket line. One of the frats brought out a couch and everyone huddled around and watched a TV someone brought. I hooked up an electric blanket, cranked it up to max, and I was still cold. Fortunately, at midnight the AA told everyone to go home, gave everyone in line a voucher and told us to come back in the morning.

Hopefully, soon I'll be back to caring about GT Basketball as much as I did then.
I am constantly telling my wife that watching Basketball on TV is just a pale imitation of what the experience is like when you are in the thriller dome and Tech is going basket for basket with a nationally ranked opponent. I honestly don't think any other sport compares to watching Basketball live.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Back in the mid-80"s GT basketball was the hottest ticket in the ATL.

I can't recall the year but it was after the GT/UGA game was moved from the old OMNI to on-campus. We came from behind late in the game to beat UGA, the loudest sports arena I've ever been in.

The next day in the AJC one of the UGA BBall players remarked something like ... "it was loud, they have great fans".

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I need help remembering the name of a shooting guard who played gt basketball some time between 65-69. We were pretty bad, but one game (against auburn I think) he scored 53 points.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I've only been to one GT Hoops game, it was this year at home against Notre Dame. I've been to over 10 football games and that one basketball game was louder than almost all the football games (Except 09 vs Wake). It's incredible how loud it can get inside McCammish and watching some of the old games the other day on YouTube I'd say in 1990 we had one of the best home crowds in the nation. Watching that Dennis Scott shot from the UNC game made me feel like I was there It must've been a great environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I am constantly telling my wife that watching Basketball on TV is just a pale imitation of what the experience is like when you are in the thriller dome and Tech is going basket for basket with a nationally ranked opponent. I honestly don't think any other sport compares to watching Basketball live.
My favorite live sport is hockey. A close hockey game in the 3rd period is insane.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My favorite live sport is hockey. A close hockey game in the 3rd period is insane.
If only it was limited to the third period. Though in disclosure I have seen only one live pro hockey game, but that was in Cleveland (minor league?) and may not count. It is a dreadful TV sport, and in that regard kind of remindful of baseball, a game not intended for television. Itsy-bitsy baseball, itsy-bitsy puck, limited screen frame that eliminates so much of the other action. (Cleveland did win the fight, though.)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hockey ranks up there for sure. Though it needs to be in a hockey town like Chicago or Boston for the real intensity to be there. The tension that builds when the puck is around the opponents goal is excruciating.

But basketball still is my favorite in person sport. And I am firstly a football fan.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Probably Phil Wagner. That who you're thinking of?
Yes! That guy was an athlete as well as a sharp shooter. If the 3 point shot was in effect he would have scored 20 more. The I wonder how that performance stacks up in the record book for a guard????
Thanks
Wonder if gtaa has that game highlighted in gt history?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If only it was limited to the third period. Though in disclosure I have seen only one live pro hockey game, but that was in Cleveland (minor league?) and may not count. It is a dreadful TV sport, and in that regard kind of remindful of baseball, a game not intended for television. Itsy-bitsy baseball, itsy-bitsy puck, limited screen frame that eliminates so much of the other action. (Cleveland did win the fight, though.)
The greatest single sporting event I ever watched on tv was a hockey match. Care to guess which one?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You are correct that has to be greatest sport event watched on TV or heard on radio. Greater than the shot heard around the world in 1951.
Well, I thought Nicklaus coming on in the 4th round to win the Masters in 1986(?) at the age of 46 was pretty entertaining, and I wouldn't normally walk down the street to see a golf tournament. Then there was Gibson's remarkably inspirational walkoff HR -- on two crippled legs after two flailing swings -- in the 1988 WS. (That one was followed by a real lesson in grace under pressure, when Dennis Eckersley, who threw exactly the pitch he wanted exactly where he wanted, only to watch it disappear into the cheap seats, manned up to the press afterwards and civilly answered all questions. That was a great sports moment. See what Cheese started?)

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
I've only been to one GT Hoops game, it was this year at home against Notre Dame. I've been to over 10 football games and that one basketball game was louder than almost all the football games (Except 09 vs Wake). It's incredible how loud it can get inside McCammish and watching some of the old games the other day on YouTube I'd say in 1990 we had one of the best home crowds in the nation. Watching that Dennis Scott shot from the UNC game made me feel like I was there It must've been a great environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was at that game. Simply electric.