From a fan of 55 years and what i see

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We can compete in basketball due to sheer numbers each team has. In football with the current climate, we either add a major without calculus and physics and take football serious or drop down to a lower division. We cannot have recruiting classes never in the top twenty and compete for championships. Agree or disagree

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Depends on what you mean by "compete for championships"

We've been pretty close to the end in ACC championships for some of the CPJ years and 2014 showed that a few more "lucky breaks" and we would've been in the national conversation.

There are 128? FBS teams and only 1 National Champion. Even if the same teams didn't consistently win the NC it'd still be one champion to a ton of not champions.

GT currently competes just fine for a middle of the pack FBS team and usually even competes better than most in the conference. Can GT be even more competitive? Sure but you could say that about any FBS school.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Depends on what you mean by "compete for championships"

We've been pretty close to the end in ACC championships for some of the CPJ years and 2014 showed that a few more "lucky breaks" and we would've been in the national conversation.

There are 128? FBS teams and only 1 National Champion. Even if the same teams didn't consistently win the NC it'd still be one champion to a ton of not champions.

GT currently competes just fine for a middle of the pack FBS team and usually even competes better than most in the conference. Can GT be even more competitive? Sure but you could say that about any FBS school.
What is our record under CPJ against Clemson, Ugag, Mia and Virginia Tech, add now Unc and Duke. If a 500 football team is okay, then we are okay.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What is our record under CPJ against Clemson, Ugag, Mia and Virginia Tech, add now Unc and Duke. If a 500 football team is okay, then we are okay.

Funny because only miami from your list has won a national championship more recently than we have.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well we won one in 1952 also but, I said todays climate. Again, what is our record with the big boy football under CPJ. I am in no way blaming CPJ, I don't know that we can do better.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well we won one in 1952 also but, I said todays climate. Again, what is our record with the big boy football under CPJ.

I dunno. The only team we have faced that has win a championship recently is fsu. Funny how you left them out. Why is it that?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What are each one of their records against the best 5 or 6 teams on their schedules? Everybody struggles with the meat of their schedule except for the elite.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When I was in school, the mid to late 80's, at the start of most of the games, I knew we were gonna lose. It was so bad, a good chunk of the student section, me included, just partied in the stands and only took occasional glances at the field from time to time. We were all drunk the entire game. Fast forward to today. 1) I'm not drunk... welllll, maybe. 2) We have just as good a chance to win the game against 80% of our schedule.

I'd say we've come up since I was a school boy.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
We can compete in basketball due to sheer numbers each team has. In football with the current climate, we either add a major without calculus and physics and take football serious or drop down to a lower division. We cannot have recruiting classes never in the top twenty and compete for championships. Agree or disagree
It's funny you site basketball as a success...you know we just fired the head coach right?

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's funny you site basketball as a success...you know we just fired the head coach right?
I didn't say it was a success, I said we could compete due to the fact that the numbers are different. With the right coach we can compete with a couple of studs. Football requires about 7 studs on both sides of the ball.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Dude isn't a troll. (Well, OK, I have no idea who the dude is and whether he is a troll or not, but neither do any of you.)

I understand his point though. After a while, you get a bit tired of trying to compete on an tilted playing field. We do NOT compete in the same way as the Clemsons, Florida States and Georgias do. (they play semi-pro football. We still have some semblance of student athletes.) Under this scenario, we ought to lose to them at least 80% of the time (and we do, iirc). Against the Dukes and UNC's and others on our schedule,w e ought to win 50% of the time (and we do, I believe). Overall, this would make us about a 7-5 team in an average year, with some upside (2014) and downside (2015).

However, we are NOT like Clemson or FSU who could hope for and get excited about the possibility of being nationally prominent 3 (top 10?) out of every 4 or 5 years. I get the poster's frustration, and fell it myself from time to time. It is mostly a frustration that these limits are self-imposed by the Institute's administration (either at the GTAA Board level or the Board of Regents level). We are quite deliberately positioned by those two bodies as a second rate athletic program that can rise up every once on a blue moon to threaten the dominant programs....but we have been "sentenced" to being second fiddle athletically to UGa.

The record bears all of this out. Some portion of our fan base accepts this, understands this, and takes pride in our accomplishments in spite of these limitations. That's very cool.

Just don't pretend the limitations aren't there. Grandpa's solution of dropping down a level is not likely, nor is it what 90% of the GT fan base would want. But I do understand at an emotional level the desire to feel like we have a reasonable chance every Saturday (not just a puncher's 1 in 5 shot).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dude isn't a troll. (Well, OK, I have no idea who the dude is and whether he is a troll or not, but neither do any of you.)

I understand his point though. After a while, you get a bit tired of trying to compete on an tilted playing field. We do NOT compete in the same way as the Clemsons, Florida States and Georgias do. (they play semi-pro football. We still have some semblance of student athletes.) Under this scenario, we ought to lose to them at least 80% of the time (and we do, iirc). Against the Dukes and UNC's and others on our schedule,w e ought to win 50% of the time (and we do, I believe). Overall, this would make us about a 7-5 team in an average year, with some upside (2014) and downside (2015).

However, we are NOT like Clemson or FSU who could hope for and get excited about the possibility of being nationally prominent 3 (top 10?) out of every 4 or 5 years. I get the poster's frustration, and fell it myself from time to time. It is mostly a frustration that these limits are self-imposed by the Institute's administration (either at the GTAA Board level or the Board of Regents level). We are quite deliberately positioned by those two bodies as a second rate athletic program that can rise up every once on a blue moon to threaten the dominant programs....but we have been "sentenced" to being second fiddle athletically to UGa.

The record bears all of this out. Some portion of our fan base accepts this, understands this, and takes pride in our accomplishments in spite of these limitations. That's very cool.

Just don't pretend the limitations aren't there. Grandpa's solution of dropping down a level is not likely, nor is it what 90% of the GT fan base would want. But I do understand at an emotional level the desire to feel like we have a reasonable chance every Saturday (not just a puncher's 1 in 5 shot).
GT is not going to change it's stripes to field a better football team. Accept the challenge, as difficult as it is, or just continue to be frustrated at things that will not change.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
First, anyone who can only be happy being Alabama or NDSU/GS probably wouldn't be a GT fan for 55 years, or shouldn't be.

Second, we should be able to field a more effective D at our current recruiting level. Combine that with our typical O efficiency, we'd be nationally competitive regularly.