From a fan of 55 years and what i see

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not saying Baylor did not do a good job, but have you looked at their Huge offering of Majors that do not require much of anything. Classes discussing what it feels like to be poor etc... The only neg GT has in the ability to recruit the " football only players" is academics. In some households that's also GT's biggest advantage. GT does need to do a better job marketing. Games at GT are fun and exciting. With effort they should easily be able to attract 50,000 people to every home game. You have to Make it exciting , sell it.
Agree with most except this part. "Football only players" tend to like huge crowds, lots of pretty girls that are easy, cash under the table, lots of tv talking-heads slobbering over them constantly, etc. Factories offer all that and more.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We have never drawn huge crowds, you can look up attendance figures. I think the largest crowds ever at BDS are around 60 thousand.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a recruiting violation mixing letterman with recruits at games.
OK so we don't 'mix' them. We put the lettermen at one end of the sideline and the recruits about 25 feet away with a row of 'hostesses' in between. Their job is to explain to the recruits, "NCAA won't let you go talk to Calvin Johnson. But if you come play at GT and become a letterman, one day it's going to be you standing over there with Calvin while a bunch of elite recruits are looking at you in the same manner. Have you got what it takes to be great here like Calvin was? Or Dennis Scott...or, or, or."

Again, we tend to look for the reasons why things won't work. Instead, let's grind the corners off that square peg and make it so it fits in that round hole.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I had to look up who Dennis Scott is. He last played in the league the year some of the class of 2017 recruits were born.

Very relevant to them I'd say...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You had to look up who Dennis Scott was? Really? Would you have to look up Kenny Anderson and Brian Oliver too?
There's actually a list of former athletes to be remembered from all sports. One of my great memories is of all things a -- to me -- unbelievable half-court, across-court bounce pass thrown at full speed by Brooke Steppe between two UNC defenders for a fast-break layup in '81 or '82. I was at the game with a HS coach and that was all he wanted to talk about on the way home. He was a great and unsung player and I always wondered what he would have been like playing with Mark Price.

I'm sorry I don't know every GT player who played at GT the year I was born?
You need to study up some on Tech history. I know plenty of famous players at Tech from long before I was born. Tech has one helluva tradition that unfortunately too many people have either forgotten or never knew about to begin with. Although it doesn't cover much basketball, I highly recommend for starters "Dress Her in White and Gold."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not saying Baylor did not do a good job, but have you looked at their Huge offering of Majors that do not require much of anything. Classes discussing what it feels like to be poor etc... The only neg GT has in the ability to recruit the " football only players" is academics. In some households that's also GT's biggest advantage. GT does need to do a better job marketing. Games at GT are fun and exciting. With effort they should easily be able to attract 50,000 people to every home game. You have to Make it exciting , sell it. GT just list the schedule and is ok w whoever shows up. Like the spring game. No porta Pottys , no trash cans. Really no advertising. If your going to attract new fans, they at least need to know that there is a game going on.

At Baylor son teaches logic / ethics& several philosophy level classes. He has one football player in philosophy class who choose Baylor over Harvard ( Kid aready has Google job offer).

On the other extreme are the courses you discussed. Please note they had the "easy" classes before and were the perinial doormat. I know these easier couses u mentioned, the wide open passing attack, and recruiting east texas very hard are what got them from totally sucking. AFTER RGIII the national recruits have SELF recruited.
They were a total suck and now are solid top 10-20. We are ok to very good and IMO could make a run.

I totally agree with what you said
(A)"in some households academics is also Gt biggest advantage" &( B) "Gt does need to do a better job marketing".

By winning big for a few years the (A) families on national basis Will (not an error using capital w) see gt. There are Wills all over America.
The big issues is can we suddenly find leaders on Hill and Gtaa that can reverse (B)? If not it will be a few good yers and then back down.

Baylor faced football extinction and declining enrollment. They had to act.
Sadly from what I see our leader are not dreamers and seem satisfied with Average.

Last edited:

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Take that, Calvin Johnson! In your face, Demarius Thomas! Make room for the big boys, Shaq Mason! And get your canes out of my way.
If they are still playing they won't be standing on the sidelines at a college game. Most would be old guys like me that no one gives a crap about. Just keeping it real. Recruits don't give a crap about old players. Will could not name 1 GT ex player when he was being recruited. It's not about the past. They don't care about the past.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
If they are still playing they won't be standing on the sidelines at a college game. Most would be old guys like me that no one gives a crap about. Just keeping it real. Recruits don't give a crap about old players. Will could not name 1 GT ex player when he was being recruited. It's not about the past. They don't care about the past.
y'all are thinking as fans. Recruits are not fans. They don't care about what someone else did. They only care about what they are going to do. Sorry i had to reply to my own post. The " edit time limit"...

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry I don't know every GT player who played at GT the year I was born?
It's all good. You just took me by surprise. It's kind of like not knowing who Dominique Wilkins is. He's 8 years Dennis's senior.

However, Dennis Scott is probably Top3 best GT basketball players ever, and could arguably be considered the best basketball player in Tech history. I know this is the wrong forum and may open a sht-storm, but I wouldn't expect someone who participates on this forum to not know who Dennis Scott is.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Memories are funny things. I remember as a kid the stadium always looking sold out. But on the other hand it was usually against Tennessee, Auburn or Georgia or some other team that traveled well.
This is largely true but we played Clemson and Duke every year and even back then they brought a bunch of people. I was at a Tech vs. LSU game and it was sold out in the early 60s with quite a few LSU fans there as I recall. SEC teams traveled and drew quite well at Grant Field.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
y'all are thinking as fans. Recruits are not fans. They don't care about what someone else did. They only care about what they are going to do. Sorry i had to reply to my own post. The " edit time limit"...
I teach high school in south Georgia. What flea is saying is spot on. This generation is totally self absorbed to a degree not understood by most adults unless you work with young people. As flea says "...they only care about what they are going to do" It is just the way it is. Embrace it and channel it in a positive manner.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
It's all good. You just took me by surprise. It's kind of like not knowing who Dominique Wilkins is. He's 8 years Dennis's senior.

However, Dennis Scott is probably Top3 best GT basketball players ever, and could arguably be considered the best basketball player in Tech history. I know this is the wrong forum and may open a sht-storm, but I wouldn't expect someone who participates on this forum to not know who Dennis Scott is.
I have no clue who he is, but I have a excuse
Poor little us. We're just fortunate we can play D1 with all these limitations and all...

The mentality of this fan base is so weak.
Its all about the money. GT needs a larger staff. They also need to put more effort into the social media part. For example, when UGA introduced their early enrollees , they were in full uniform w the stadium and their info in the background. GT, they were in whatever tee shirt they wore that morning, no background... Its not hard to make a effort to make it special. You do need the staff. Which of those tweets do you believe excited future recruits? Other schools flood mailboxes w information daily to recruits. They have 20 students doing the work. A small group of GT students w their technical knowledge could increase the image of GT football to HS kids. Once they get recruits on campus GT is pretty easy to sell to the players who get it.