From a fan of 55 years and what i see

Have Notre Dame and Stanford really that more successful than us in football in the past 20 years? They've had some nice top end seasons, but they've also had a good amount of mediocrity too, haven't they?
I don't know about Stanford, but the question I would suggest is : Has Notre Dame's fan base been more or less satisfied concerning their program over the last 20 years than Georgia Tech's fan base has been about our program? I would suspect that, generally speaking, anything less than a one or two loss season for ND fans constitutes an unacceptable year. Tech fans, OTOH, are fairly well satisfied with five losses and a trip to the Toilet Bowl. "At least Coach Fill-in-the-Blank" hasn't returned us to the nine loss Lewis years". Oh, wait. :-(

I don't think we are set up to have year to year big years like a factory. We are the kind of program that does really well every few years when things line up correctly with the roster in terms of talent and experience. We were already in a rebuilding year last year when we were hit with an avalanche of injuries. Fans are keenly aware of our injury problem, but I think the graduation losses hurt us more.
Does well when things line up correctly for us, PLUS our opponents find themselves in turmoil, in the throes of firing the staff, or with a slew of injuries themselves. From year to year we are usually going to be subordinate to Georgia, Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and Notre Dame. That's five likely losses at the beginning of each year. Throw in improving programs at UNC, Pittsburgh and even potentially at UVA, then add cross-divisional games such as Louisville and FSU, and things can get bleak in a hurry.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is true, and a huge problem that needs to be fixed. It's all about recruiting.
I would mention that my son coaches in east texas and says ga tech would be welcomed if we recruited there, but then " things are greatly improved just it better near " folks on board would get stirred up. Why ee dont do a fund raider for $$$$ to recruit wider and better is beyond me. I already send check designating its use for football recruiting.

Cheese is right as to how fast things can get bleak, however I still believe our system is preventing the situation from being even worse. Hopefully this year we show flashes of last 6 games. If defensive coordinators have figured out things that require our offense to be run perfectly by 5th year seniors then it will be very very bleak.
This year will be very interesting as we could be very bad or good. We have some improved but young talent on both sides of the ball. Coach could FIX IT. DEFENSE could be disruptive.
With our academic and BOR limitations, having a small recruitng budget makes no sense to me.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Been a fan longer than you, but by 'jest a tetch", and I disagree. We can compete. We have competed. The present CFP scenario does effectively lock us out of the title games, but that has more to do with the persona of the ACC than our ability. Double digit win seasons in the past decade, a New Years Six win. It can be done, it has been done. I question whether the present staff is the right staff, but with the right fit at coach we can still be a force to be reckoned with.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Been a fan longer than you, but by 'jest a tetch", and I disagree. We can compete. We have competed. The present CFP scenario does effectively lock us out of the title games, but that has more to do with the persona of the ACC than our ability. Double digit win seasons in the past decade, a New Years Six win. It can be done, it has been done. I question whether the present staff is the right staff, but with the right fit at coach we can still be a force to be reckoned with.
You've just put your finger on the major problem. The right coach! I'm sorry guys, if we want to be more competitive in the ACC, we have to have a coach with the right attitude, likable, and able to attract players with a wide open offense that most kids like. I know from past posts that many of you think that Johnson is the best that Tech can do, and that we are lucky to have him, but I don't get it. Tech is paying Johnson a competitive salary and the results he gets is not worth it. I know, I know, we had a great 2014 season, but mostly the average season is right at 7-5. In my estimation Johnson is his own worst enemy with his sour looks and attitude. He doesn't do well with the media , degrades some of his players, and quiet frankly doesn't like to deal with fans. He is not a good face for the Tech Football program.Just my opinion folks, but we have him until 2020 so we shall see what happens. As always, Go Jackets!

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I will pose the same question to you I did to Adam Bee, what better coach can we get who will come here and not leave for a factory job for big dollars if he is successful. I will wait for your list.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You've just put your finger on the major problem. The right coach! I'm sorry guys, if we want to be more competitive in the ACC, we have to have a coach with the right attitude, likable, and able to attract players with a wide open offense that most kids like. I know from past posts that many of you think that Johnson is the best that Tech can do, and that we are lucky to have him, but I don't get it. Tech is paying Johnson a competitive salary and the results he gets is not worth it. I know, I know, we had a great 2014 season, but mostly the average season is right at 7-5. In my estimation Johnson is his own worst enemy with his sour looks and attitude. He doesn't do well with the media , degrades some of his players, and quiet frankly doesn't like to deal with fans. He is not a good face for the Tech Football program.Just my opinion folks, but we have him until 2020 so we shall see what happens. As always, Go Jackets!
Offense isn't the issue, minus this past year. So to say we need a coach who runs an open offense that kids like doesn't make much sense to me. Put our offense on a Clemson D and we would be a consistent 10 plus win team imo. Now, I will say we do need a guy who can go out and get those big time recruits consistently, but that doesn't have to be the head coach. Better recruiting would balance things out big time from the up and down years. We also must remember we are short staffed compared to the big time schools. Honestly the biggest issues for me is the D and recruiting, which imo has gotten better the past couple years, but to be a consistent team I think we need a couple more guys on our staff that can go out and get the big time recruits that make a difference year 1.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I will pose the same question to you I did to Adam Bee, what better coach can we get who will come here and not leave for a factory job for big dollars if he is successful. I will wait for your list.
If a coach came in and was winning consistently, and winning championships at GT I highley doubt he would leave for a factory, what would be the point?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Let me put some numbers on the point made by @tech_wreck47:

From the 2008 to 2015 seasons, our offense has averaged 2.57 points/drive versus BCS AQ or Pwr 5 opponents. That's 6th ranked offense over the last 8 years. If we look at just the last 5 years (after Gailey's recruits for those who still bring that up), our offense has averaged 2.69 points per drive vs BCS AQ/Pwr 5, which is again ranked 6th over these years.

The offenses ranked higher than us over these periods are as follows:
2008-2015: Oregon (2.98), Baylor (2.82) & Stanford (2.82), tOSU (2.68), Bama (2.61)
2011-2015: Baylor (3.20), Oregon (3.18), tOSU (2.84), Stanford (2.77) and Bama (2.77)

Furthermore, others have made the case that our recruiting hasn't really gone down under Johnson.

So, the facts apparently don't really support your case beyond your initial claim ... you're sorry.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

If you listen to CPJ being interviewed in other markets he does just fine. The guys in the Atlanta market always ask questions like "What will it take for GT to reach a level where the can compete with SEC caliber teams?" and other such rubbish.

By degrading players, I assume you mean things such as stating that a player needs to lose weight, or learn how to take care of the ball, or understand responsibilities better. If you actually listen to the words that CPJ uses, he usually is just stating facts. He doesn't get into a lot of hyperbole. I believe that if you talked to a player who CPJ has "degraded" in your opinion, you would probably find that the player agrees with him. If a player fumbles 3 times in one game, he would probably agree that he needs to take better care of the ball, etc.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If we won more games against power 5 and occasionally wipped their xxx , would we have more or less MONEY? I think a lot more. Coach is not the problem IMO.

Damn engineering company kept growing and some how we found money for buildings and higher salaries. Winning bids solves almost everything.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If you listen to CPJ being interviewed in other markets he does just fine. The guys in the Atlanta market always ask questions like "What will it take for GT to reach a level where the can compete with SEC caliber teams?" and other such rubbish.

By degrading players, I assume you mean things such as stating that a player needs to lose weight, or learn how to take care of the ball, or understand responsibilities better. If you actually listen to the words that CPJ uses, he usually is just stating facts. He doesn't get into a lot of hyperbole. I believe that if you talked to a player who CPJ has "degraded" in your opinion, you would probably find that the player agrees with him. If a player fumbles 3 times in one game, he would probably agree that he needs to take better care of the ball, etc.

^ x 1000, ask the players and parents how they feel about CPJ. If anyone has paid attention to the "reporters" in Atl they'd understand just how asinine 95% of them are. I've never seen a major market with less journalistic talent than Atlanta.

Does well when things line up correctly for us, PLUS our opponents find themselves in turmoil, in the throes of firing the staff, or with a slew of injuries themselves. From year to year we are usually going to be subordinate to Georgia, Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and Notre Dame. That's five likely losses at the beginning of each year. Throw in improving programs at UNC, Pittsburgh and even potentially at UVA, then add cross-divisional games such as Louisville and FSU, and things can get bleak in a hurry.
I would say that we have more than held our own against Clemson. We don't play ND very often, but in the last 3 encounters, we are 2-1 against them. We have also won a fair share against Miami. Adding FSU hasn't hurt us either in recent years.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Way back I promised myself not to dip into the coach vs. coach tirades as it was always ultimately self-defeating. I have on occasion identified myself as a Johnson fan, and as an option football fan. I have also thought, and wrote, that sometimes it would help matters if he would on occasion talk about the accomplishments and the achievements at a practice or scrimmage, or for the game itself. But I get his attitude, as mine can me much the same: we are working at getting better, and this is what we're doing wrong, so get your mom to praise you. And I don't think anybody on the board is deluding themselves into thinking that what happened in 2015 is acceptable, and it can't be repeated. In short I think 2016 might be a make or break year for Johnson. I have no problem with that. He is a big boy and can take care of himself. Doesn't need me or others propping him up. I could be wrong in everything I say -- I do have experience in that regard -- but his offense is our best shot at winning. And he is the best coach in the country with an option offense and one of the top handful of game day offensive coaches. You might phrase it as "the best that Tech can do" and I would say he is the best at what he does. A more than slight difference for sure.

Now perhaps you have heard him degrade a player, or read of it. I have not. I read everything on GT I can find and not a peep of that. His faint praise can hardly be called degrading. Believe me, I have heard degrading, I have seen degrading, I have been degraded -- the first week of boot camp destroys any illusions of self-worth -- and he is not degrading. A guy may not want to read that he "just did okay", but degraded? Now that is harsh and most of us could not pass through a day without failing that bar. I can't speak to the media except what I read in Atlanta and Macon and on this board, and for sure there are a couple of radio guys he doesn't like, but I'm a nice guy and I don't like radio guys either.

I'm not even going there in recruiting because it is hopeless. Let's just say if you want somebody to recruit like Mississippi or Alabama, break out your checkbooks and ask them how they hide it so well. Find yourself 85 four and five-star football players who want to be engineers. Change that curriculum overnight and get parks and recreation up front. That's a big favorite at Clemson, which hasn't produced a football-playing engineer in memory. Ditto Stanford. (Though Stanford would cringe at using "ditto".) As far as I know both those programs are honest and ethical ... but there they get them by the curriculum.

And this epic is why I try to stay away from useless coaching threads. I just want to be 1-0 after Sept. 3, and the next week will be there soon enough.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Way back I promised myself not to dip into the coach vs. coach tirades as it was always ultimately self-defeating. I have on occasion identified myself as a Johnson fan, and as an option football fan. I have also thought, and wrote, that sometimes it would help matters if he would on occasion talk about the accomplishments and the achievements at a practice or scrimmage, or for the game itself. But I get his attitude, as mine can me much the same: we are working at getting better, and this is what we're doing wrong, so get your mom to praise you. And I don't think anybody on the board is deluding themselves into thinking that what happened in 2015 is acceptable, and it can't be repeated. In short I think 2016 might be a make or break year for Johnson. I have no problem with that. He is a big boy and can take care of himself. Doesn't need me or others propping him up. I could be wrong in everything I say -- I do have experience in that regard -- but his offense is our best shot at winning. And he is the best coach in the country with an option offense and one of the top handful of game day offensive coaches. You might phrase it as "the best that Tech can do" and I would say he is the best at what he does. A more than slight difference for sure.

Now perhaps you have heard him degrade a player, or read of it. I have not. I read everything on GT I can find and not a peep of that. His faint praise can hardly be called degrading. Believe me, I have heard degrading, I have seen degrading, I have been degraded -- the first week of boot camp destroys any illusions of self-worth -- and he is not degrading. A guy may not want to read that he "just did okay", but degraded? Now that is harsh and most of us could not pass through a day without failing that bar. I can't speak to the media except what I read in Atlanta and Macon and on this board, and for sure there are a couple of radio guys he doesn't like, but I'm a nice guy and I don't like radio guys either.

I'm not even going there in recruiting because it is hopeless. Let's just say if you want somebody to recruit like Mississippi or Alabama, break out your checkbooks and ask them how they hide it so well. Find yourself 85 four and five-star football players who want to be engineers. Change that curriculum overnight and get parks and recreation up front. That's a big favorite at Clemson, which hasn't produced a football-playing engineer in memory. Ditto Stanford. (Though Stanford would cringe at using "ditto".) As far as I know both those programs are honest and ethical ... but there they get them by the curriculum.

And this epic is why I try to stay away from useless coaching threads. I just want to be 1-0 after Sept. 3, and the next week will be there soon enough.
Your comment was way too long for me to read, but it seemed good, so I went ahead and liked it.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Something I haven't looked into. Good point.
Others may differ, but I think Roof and Pelton are fine where they are. Some coaches are just not suited for head coaching jobs and are best as coordinators and assistants. It is just the way things are. Florida thought they were getting the next big thing when they hired Muschamp and it was a disaster. He is not suited temperamentally or otherwise to deal with being a head coach but would make someone a fine defensive coordinator. Our nemesis at Virginia Tech is in the same boat. Being the "face" of a program is a very different animal from being even a high profile coordinator. Dodd, Dooley, the Bear, the "head ball coach", and countless others just have that ability to relate to assistants, recruits, parents, alumni, and fans that is not definable but I know it when I see it. Besides, our troubles on defense are more talent related than scheme IMHO. Others may disagree.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Let me reiterate what has been iterated many times before about a bygone era.

a) Dodd-a coach/recruiter/leader that comes once in a generation
b) Atlanta, a media and sports mecca in the post-war south
c) Atlanta, a thriving New South economy that relentlessly demanded engineers--and WINNERS
d) all white teams across the region.
e) no competition whatsoever for the sports dollar; and Georgia sucked.

In many ways it was the perfect storm.

I might add that the state of Georgia at that time just did not produce a lot of good football players and Tech was a draw throughout the South. Dodd was a great recruiter for the times and could absolutely sell the school, the city, and what Tech offered to parents. The lack of talent in the state hurt Georgia way more than us because Dodd had contacts seemingly everywhere. Tech got good players from Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee on just about an annual basis. It was indeed a perfect storm not to be repeated but man it is fun to beat those factories especially Clemson, UGA, Miami, etc. even if just once in a while.