Florida Regional

How Many Games Will GT Win in the Florida Regional?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Pitts starts tomorrow. Gibson came out after the 8th probably bc the lead grew so much so he will be available for long relief along with Dulaney. Available pitchers for the remaining games: Pitts, Dulaney, Gibson, Gorst, Combs, Carpenter, Datoc, Gauvreau, Winborne.

To me, doesn't matter that much since all have had flashes of brilliance and other flashes. What matters is a short leash. Especially with the heat. Playing a third early afternoon game is tough on the team since neither of the other tow have played in the heat.

I still agree with Hall's call to save Gold for a potential game against Florida. Watching bits of the UConn / Florida game last night and realizing the pitching depth of Florida http://www.d1baseball.com/player-rankings/florida/ , that was our best chance (in my opinion) of winning the region. We lost to UConn by one run. But here's why I still like the call to go with our ace. If you lose the first game like we did, you have a 7% chance to advance. If you lose the second game like UConn did, you have an 11% chance to advance. And that is for the "average" NCAA team which has a lot more pitching depth than we do. So pick the game you want to win because losing either is a likely ticket home.

I hope it's a good game against UConn. I think we will win and the line (if it existed) would have this as a toss up.

Great D1 summary of Day 2. http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/sorenson-day-two-regional-wrap/ My bracket predictions are not perfect - Vandy and Ole Miss getting eliminated were surprises I like for all rational people. I picked 5 #2 seeds as "upsets" with the rest being #1 seeds. Of course, the first one out of the tourney (Duke) I picked along with Coastal and OK State (both to finals) as well as Dallas Baptist (lost 1) and Arizona (only played 1). So not too bad. My pick for the championship (L'ville and Florida) look good so far.

And how about Clemson? Ouch, 2-12 to OK State. I figured Clemson would, well Clemson. They have been too many standard deviations (Bollinger Bands) above their normal performance which is why I picked OK State in that region.

And UVa, blowing a 6-3 lead going into the ninth? It's baseball.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
so sorry about your dog. i put my 13 yo great dane down 12/14 and i still morn her.

Thanks to all for the comments. Given what I think is the average age of people posting in this forum (kids in college or post kids) and being men, I think this is a common experience for most. It took my wife and I a year to get over losing our first boxer (cancer), and that was with getting the next one three weeks later. This was our last dog as we travel a lot more, so it's another life milestone.

The more you love an animal the more it hurts when they leave, regardless of the particulars. A great gaping chest wound. Plus it hurts more when you have the type personality typified by my Dad (and me). He carried in his pocket a rock I gave him which read, "The more I see of some people, the more I like my dogs."

Enough maudlin. I'm glad we have some Beesball today.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
My wife and I have always had parakeets. One lived 13 years, one 12 and one 10. It really broke our hearts when each died. We lost the 12 year old and 10 year old about a month apart two years ago. We now have a wonderful little 2 year old to bring cheer to our home. He whistles the first two lines of Ramblin Wreck.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's been a long time since we had a "good start" in a game that Gold did not start. I don't believe in the 'due factor'... but have now mentioned it twice in these forums over the last 2 weeks. I guess that means I am desperate. Hopefully, somehow we manage to surprise ourselves today with solid baseball in every facet of the game. That's what it will take to beat both of the teams we are set to face today. I actually think we're capable... just narrow margins for error.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So are we starting Gorst in the next game? That's the only logical approach since we have wasted Gold, right?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Baseball is a game that allows smaller less powerful teams to upset more talented teams fairly often. It is also a team that can be carried by one special player. Unfortunately, that special player is usually a great pitcher. We have one really good pitcher, who has been used. We have a great pitcher, but he is our closer. We have to win three more games to teams that are probably better than us. To win those three would be a major miracle.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ben Parr will be starting against UConn today. Good luck, and go Jackets!

I just listened to Hall. He said the choice was Parr or Gorst since they were the two best we have left. He wants to save Gorst for Florida to force a game tomorrow if we win this first one and we don't have to use Gorst in this game.

I like the call. (Not that it matters.) We will be better at pitching next year if we only have three injuries like this year (King, Hughes and English)

Go GONZO!!!

I'll listen to WREK (Wiley Ballard) and watch on ESPN3. I sent a thank you to Wiley for his years of announcing. I don't know when his last year is, but he has been announcing for a few years.

Update:

GONZO with his 300th hit in the first. Congratulations!

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Second inning, double by Craport. Single by Kel. Out at home on a perfect no bounce throw by the RF. I like the aggressiveness.

Kel thrown out at first napping on a keep close but not great move by the pitcher. I'd bench Kel. Period, probably all day even if we are lucky enough to get to Florida. We need focus and Kel doesn't have it. Great hitter when he is in a groove but otherwise really lets his team mates down. Screw talent which doesn't perform.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
How bout that sequence? Two HUGE golden rule no-no's:
1) Make 1st out of inning at home;
2) Slowest guy in lineup picked off at 1st. Chose to look away from pitcher with a lead off 1st.

Need to play smarter than that.

Kel is a liability. Think he's ailing; but that's not all of it.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
Craport looked safe to me. Tough to tell, but I thought he got that hand to the plate before the tag. Either way, Two bad decisions.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Jackets on the board on English's sac fly. 1-0 Tech leads.

No yanking Kel from the line-up because he just yanked an RBI single! Jackets lead 2-0 with 2 on, 1 out in the top of the 4th!

Last edited: