Florida Regional

How Many Games Will GT Win in the Florida Regional?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How many games do people think we are gong to win? I was under last time predicting 2, but for Peurifoy's drop would have been there! So in honor of close games, I'm doing half game predictions. If it goes to extra innings like against NC State, it's a half game.

Q: Who was the happiest person we made the NCAA field?
A: Ryan Peurifoy. The ape on his back got lighter.

We have next to no chance to win. Florida has lost 4 games all year at home, with #1 RPI. With L'Ville, Miami and A&M at the top 4 in RPI there is a lot of separation between those four and the next 296 teams. So Fl is elite and playing at home.

D1 talked about the region. They have Florida winning on Sunday (e.g. no losses). And UConn coming in second since they noted we only have one pitcher and fall apart by Sunday. They said that Florida has to love this bracket with a weak #2, #3 and #4 seed.

One good note from D1 is that we have all right handed hitters and this park favors RH hitters. So we may be able to bludgeon our way to a win. I don't care how really as long as we put enough together between offense, defense and pitching to win.

GT and UConn have weak pitching and Florida is massively deep. For GT and UConn to pitch their best against each other plays very much to Florida's favor.

@65Jacket is usually right about things which are not in print and he said that Hall is going with Gold ..... so I have to assume Gold is going to start. But for UConn, Anthony Kay is their stud .... 2.46 ERA but 113.1 IP and 16 appearances (9-2). http://www.d1baseball.com/player-rankings/connecticut/ But he pitched some more on Sunday so his time may be limited. UConn's two other starters, Montgomerie and Cate, look pretty solid too with 2.57 and 2.71 ERAs. I don't want to sound condescending, but UConn is #51 in the RPI and played the 124th strongest SOS. So UConn pitchers ERA would be a lot higher playing our 11th SOS. {Asinine if we start Gold against UConn in my opinion. For more see https://gtswarm.com/threads/who-would-you-start-on-friday-vs-uconn.9704/ }

I think we win one game if we start with Gold. Scenarios:
  • Pitch Gold UConn (W); pitch Dunlaney Fl (L); pitch Parr Fl (L)
  • My favorite: Pitch Dulaney/Parr UConn (W); Pitch Gold FL extra innings (.5); Pitch Parr/Dulaney Fl (L). I'm making the poll changeable until Friday morning. Win 1.5.
  • Lose to UConn, but then beat Bethane but then lose to Fl. So still one game.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We have next to no chance to win. Florida has lost 4 games all year at home, with #1 RPI. With L'Ville, Miami and A&M at the top 4 in RPI there is a lot of separation between those four and the next 296 teams. So Fl is elite and playing at home.

D1 talked about the region. They have Florida winning on Sunday (e.g. no losses). And UConn coming in second since they noted we only have one pitcher and fall apart by Sunday. They said that Florida has to love this bracket with a weak #2, #3 and #4 seed.

One good note from D1 is that we have all right handed hitters and this park favors RH hitters. So we may be able to bludgeon our way to a win. I don't care how really as long as we put enough together between offense, defense and pitching to win.

GT and UConn have weak pitching and Florida is massively deep. For GT and UConn to pitch their best against each other plays very much to Florida's favor.

@65Jacket is usually right about things which are not in print and he said that Hall is going with Gold ..... so I have to assume Gold is going to start. But for UConn, Anthony Kay is their stud .... 2.46 ERA but 113.1 IP and 16 appearances (9-2). http://www.d1baseball.com/player-rankings/connecticut/ But he pitched some more on Sunday so his time may be limited. UConn's two other starters, Montgomerie and Cate, look pretty solid too with 2.57 and 2.71 ERAs. I don't want to sound condescending, but UConn is #51 in the RPI and played the 124th strongest SOS. So UConn pitchers ERA would be a lot higher playing our 11th SOS. {Asinine if we start Gold against UConn in my opinion. For more see https://gtswarm.com/threads/who-would-you-start-on-friday-vs-uconn.9704/ }

I think we win one game if we start with Gold. Scenarios:
  • Pitch Gold UConn (W); pitch Dunlaney Fl (L); pitch Parr Fl (L)
  • My favorite: Pitch Dulaney/Parr UConn (W); Pitch Gold FL extra innings (.5); Pitch Parr/Dulaney Fl (L). I'm making the poll changeable until Friday morning. Win 1.5.
  • Lose to UConn, but then beat Bethane but then lose to Fl. So still one game.

I read that UCONN is not pitching Kay on Friday. I believe their coach stated that.

Assuming Gold does start Friday, a couple of possible outcomes for us:
<2% chance:
Gold W vs Conn
Gorst W vs UF
Whole staff W vs UF

>75% chance:
Gold W vs Conn
Parr/Gorst L vs UF
Parr/Gorst W vs Conn/B-Cookman
Whole staff L vs UF

20% chance:
Gold W vs UConn
Parr L vs UF
Ryan/Pitts L vs UConn/B-Cookman

My "if we somehow miraculously win the regional this is how I see it playing out" case:
Gold W vs UConn
Gorst W vs UF
Parr L vs UF
Whole staff W vs UF

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am only good with wasting Gold against UConn if we hold Gorst for UF. If Hall wastes both inGame 1 he deserves ....well, let's just say I won't be happy.

My ideal would be Paar in Game 1 followed by Gold & Gorst in games 2 and 3. Play to win it all.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Preview of UConn game has our starter as the feared TBA. (7PM Wednesday) http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060116aaa.html

Cate is starting for UConn. Makes sense since he is close in ERA and save him for Fl whenever they see Fl. (Wish CPJ would figure out resting our starting QB when he gets tired.)

Should Gorst start? "Gorst is the only Georgia Tech pitcher to record a sub-1.00 ERA (with at least 40.0 IP). His 0.41 ERA is 66 points lower than the previous single-season mark of 1.07 set by Mike Sorrow in 1971."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 Baseball does a breakdown of every region. Some fun to read writing. They give Florida a 9 out of 10 chance to win the region. Here's what they say about Florida pitching. Having watched the SOA, I thought this was good:

"Best Starting Rotation: Florida. Logan Shore, A.J. Puk, Alex Faedo, Dane Dunning, Scott Moss. If the Gators ever needed to play five games in four days, they could do it without even stretching their starting options.

Best Bullpen: Florida. Shaun Anderson has more help to edge Matt Gorst and Georgia Tech here. The Gators have more available arms to deal than The Sons of Anarchy."

They assumed Gold would pitch game 1 and pointed out that would leave us not much to follow up against Florida. We'll see. Thinking about it more, I don't think Gorst should start. We need him as our closer as he has been all year. Next year we'll be more like Florida in pitching. {pray}

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In Top 2, Ryan has loaded the bases with 1 out....

2 run single followed by a 1 run double. Looking like the wrong decision by CDH. Down 3-0 still only 1 out in T2.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we can win with Zac. Love the Hall cojones to go for the region.
Do you still feel this way? Hindsight obviously 20/20, but you have to win the first one to have even a decent shot, especially in this regional. Go with your horse and figure everything else out later.

Adam B.

Georgia Tech Fan
Anybody think our pitching is just awful the past couple years?? I'm gettin tired of worrying through every single start except for once a week with someone like Gold pitching. Just hope our bats can bring us back!

Edit: *Starting pitching