Fire Paul johnson for Taking Tobais Oliver out of the game

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
A friend of mine reminded me that even Nick Saban has changed his approach to the game in the last 10 years. I like CPJ and think the TO is a net positive for Tech. But, I also think CPJ "has figured out football" and he's not going to change. Saban has overhauled his staff 4-5 times during his time at Alabama. Without trying to compare GT to Bama, my point is that it's a changing game and CPJ should be changing with it.

What's next for GT? I think the deal is already done and CPJ isn't going anywhere. He's here for the duration and both he and TStan are planning the transition at the same time. If you look out 3-4 years, Tech will be in a totally different place moneywise as multiple legacy costs roll off and we TStan's gladhanding pays off. But, like some of have said, no way do we get a name head coach. We'll get a strong assistant from somewhere and honestly, I hope it's someone who is a defensive genius.

I was in Knoxville last weekend and Jeremy Pruitt is getting rave reviews for returning UT to playing "old fashioned" football with an emphasis on being coached. We'll see, but I think this is a good direction for Tech in a few years.
You cant just say that it's a done deal and CPJ is going nowhere. If we lose to Pitt i could for sure see him getting fired a week or two later

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You cant just say that it's a done deal and CPJ is going nowhere. If we lose to Pitt i could for sure see him getting fired a week or two later

hapssh.gif

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I would never say never, but ... I think there are few variables in favor of keeping CPJ through his contract ...

• TStan and CPJ seem to have a good relationship and that's a plus
  • TStan is supportive of the TO given our recruiting situation
  • GTAA has other issues to worry about ... and a big one is we need to raise money.
Another big factor is the John Currie debacle at TN. The word to AD's everywhere is ... don't fire anyone unless you have the replacement already identified. And I don't think Tech has ANYONE yet, let alone a slate of candidates, so even if CPJ were to lose 8 games ... I don't see TStan pulling the plug. Just my opinion.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would never say never, but ... I think there are few variables in favor of keeping CPJ through his contract ...

• TStan and CPJ seem to have a good relationship and that's a plus
  • TStan is supportive of the TO given our recruiting situation
  • GTAA has other issues to worry about ... and a big one is we need to raise money.
Another big factor is the John Currie debacle at TN. The word to AD's everywhere is ... don't fire anyone unless you have the replacement already identified. And I don't think Tech has ANYONE yet, let alone a slate of candidates, so even if CPJ were to lose 8 games ... I don't see TStan pulling the plug. Just my opinion.

I think you have a good perspective on 'how these things are done'.

AD's that operate as fans would typically end up looking like Currie did. Midseason firings are rare and usually make the AD look like a fool unless their hand is forced by something drastic (not just losses) happening (see MD football right now).

It's pointless to get all up in arms about it at this point. We've got a few years before we even need to consider the 'next chapter', whatever that may be.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s not getting fired midyear. If we do lose Saturday, you can bet the local media will ramp up the fire CPJ campaign. They don’t have any better candidates for a public execution at the moment, and since our local sports media are 100% pathetic, talentless hacks, they have to stick to the usual script.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

If GT was a football factory, maybe. Regardless, I think our financial obligations would make this scenario unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's see, we need a change. So who on this board is going to petition the school to add Liberal Arts degrees and lower the admission standards. O'Leary kind of did that, but only graduated player at a 45% rate. Today that would mean the loss of 8 scholarships. Yea, let's get rid of CPJ, the winningest coach in Tech History since the game changed in 1970. Folks, I have been watching tech since 1969. We lose some games we win some and we have some special times. We also go in the toilet, Bill Lewis and most of the Ross and Curry years. Yes, I will hear it but we won a NC under Ross, yes with a 2-9, 3-8,7-4 and 8-5 season.

Our Offense is the most feared in all College football and today proved no different. Turnovers hurt, particularly the fumble. Special teams, well maybe the kick coverage team should be much of the 1st team offense. But that means they would have to add 7 60 yard cover plays on top of playing defense. Defensively, we weren't bad the entire game, just in the end, when it counted. We lost 2 starters.

Yes, let's go get another coach and start over. How many 2-10 seasons do you want?
We have a lot of football to go. Let's see what Pitt has tonight and take it from there. And yes Clemson looms, but you never know. I was there in 2011 when they were a loaded team and we were coming off loses to UVA and Miami.
Serious? our O the most feared in college football?? PJ, the winningest coach in Tech history?? Where do people likeyou come from?? but, you Johnson backers always have excuses as to why none of the losses are his responsibilities. Just go away...please.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
QUOTE="Technut1990, post: 456953, member: 3774"]Here’s the issue folks. The defensive GP was to stop the long pass, when you plan that you plan on the LBs controlling the middle. Our LBs are to slow to guess wrong. They missed a lot of tackles and they got hung up at the line often when they just ran head long into a pile rather than a gap.

ST did not do as coached — meaning stay in their lanes

As far as replacing Oliver. Oliver looked good but USF changed their GP to deal with him. The reason we were in 3 and 8 was because USF brought everyone up closer to the line. My question isn’t why was Oliver replaced my question is can Oliver pass ? If he could or can then 2 or 3 passes makes USF drop the safeties back again.

We never even gave the illusion Oliver was ever going to pass, that is the issue I have with today’s QB situation[/QUOTE]

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
QUOTE="Technut1990, post: 456953, member: 3774"]Here’s the issue folks. The defensive GP was to stop the long pass, when you plan that you plan on the LBs controlling the middle. Our LBs are to slow to guess wrong. They missed a lot of tackles and they got hung up at the line often when they just ran head long into a pile rather than a gap.

ST did not do as coached — meaning stay in their lanes

As far as replacing Oliver. Oliver looked good but USF changed their GP to deal with him. The reason we were in 3 and 8 was because USF brought everyone up closer to the line. My question isn’t why was Oliver replaced my question is can Oliver pass ? If he could or can then 2 or 3 passes makes USF drop the safeties back again.

We never even gave the illusion Oliver was ever going to pass, that is the issue I have with today’s QB situation
[/QUOTE]
I think Olver did a great job, almost a 100 yds and 3 TD's, but I have no idea if he is a good passer. Going forward most defenses will be able to limit his keepers if he replaces TQ, then we would see about his passing game.May be a good situation for 2 QB's.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I am remembering incorrectly, but I think the OP has a history of choosing a back up and relentlessly pounding the table on why he should play more. Not a bad thing necessarily as it generates discussion.

Just for me I tend to not expect lots of rational support for said position. And we are FANatics for GT, so good on you Fletch!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
ETA: Love Olivers running....wiry strong with a nice burst. Dude weighs like 180 but plays bigger. Looking forward to seeing him develop as a passer.
Seems to see the play / lane/ hit coming.
Love to see him pass.

(At usf game they had us in row p at the south goal line. When the gt off team was coming at us , u could not see T marshall behind the linemen. That is u couldn't see him until he burst through the line for a big gain! )
Hope his toe is ok as I have heard this type of injury can be a tricky.
Need them both to get solid!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I can’t imagine he’d get fired this year no matter what the record is. Honestly we just flat out can’t afford the buyout with the basketball mess we put ourselves in.

...and I’ll add that if TStan decided to do this after asking for all that money and use those funds for the buyout I will cease giving any money to the program for the foreseeable future. That would be a gross mismanagement of funds given the state that they claim the GTAA is currently in.

If things do go south then we just need to ride out his contract...hell, he might even retire in that scenario, as he’s stated before that he won’t do this once it’s not fun anymore.

Honestly I don’t see any of this happening. We are probably looking at 6-6 at worst. There are some really bad teams on the schedule (and USF wasn’t one of them). There are only two games the rest of the way that I would even consider penciling in as L’s...but I’m not even ready to concede those yet.

Animal02

Banned
I can’t imagine he’d get fired this year no matter what the record is. Honestly we just flat out can’t afford the buyout with the basketball mess we put ourselves in.

...and I’ll add that if TStan decided to do this after asking for all that money and use those funds for the buyout I will cease giving any money to the program for the foreseeable future. That would be a gross mismanagement of funds given the state that they claim the GTAA is currently in.

If things do go south then we just need to ride out his contract...hell, he might even retire in that scenario, as he’s stated before that he won’t do this once it’s not fun anymore.

Honestly I don’t see any of this happening. We are probably looking at 6-6 at worst. There are some really bad teams on the schedule (and USF wasn’t one of them). There are only two games the rest of the way that I would even consider penciling in as L’s...but I’m not even ready to concede those yet.
But that does not fit Gold1's narrative/fantasy