Fire Paul johnson for Taking Tobais Oliver out of the game

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
FACTS: ABACKs fumble in 2017 and we lose Chick Fil A Game.... ABACK Fumbles in Tampa and we lose game.... Our Best ABACK is playing QB....

FACT: Tobias Oliver helped the Jackets turn a 21-17 halftime deficit into a 38-28 early-fourth quarter lead.

I wonder if we should put our best ABACK back at ABACK start Marshall & Lynch ( Cottrell & Searcy backup) and Turn Tobias Loose and let James Graham be the Back Up... We won 5 games last year with our best ABack at QB, I surely do not want to watch the Yellow Jackets win 5, or 6 games.... After this loss we are looking at going 2-2 OOC (win against FCS and Bowling Green and Losses to USF & UGag) 4-4 ACC (wins vs Pitt, UVA, UNC, Louisville and losses to Duke, Clemson, VT & Miami) If we are only going to win 5 or 6 games why not turn Tobias loose??

So you’ve never seen the kid make a pass attempt in a live game and you want to make him the starter? He’s a great runner, no doubt about it but i am telling yall he looked awful throwing the ball in the spring game, awful. TM gives us the best chance to win, and there is no way in hell he’s moving back to A-back his senior year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Frick Gailey. I'm glad he's gone. Doesn't change the facts about winning % though. How many bowl games did Gailey lose?

No. I want to see us win every game. The frustrating thing to me is I think Johnson is capable of it. I think he's letting his ego get in the way as he refuses to adjust his offense to adjust to the changing climate of college football. You can say the offense is putting up production but what is the opportunity cost on the effect on the defense? When is the "good production" not enough when we still lose games anyways? I think somewhere along the way he decided he wanted to prove the system he develop could work instead of continuing to develop it, which is what made him a great coach to begin with, as well as never really embraced the the notion of being a head coach. I think if he decided to he could do what is needed. I just don't have any faith that he will, because that may very well mean stepping away as an OC, being more of a HC, and deferring play calling duties and some of the offense designing to others. As far as another extension goes, I don't think he should get another half a mill raise for a one year bump no matter how good the season. Last time we did that he rewarded us with a 3 win season. He needs to prove consistency to get his next raise imo.

So you’d rather beat your chest over Gailey’s slightly better win % and that he won a couple of bowls in Boise? I’ll take a couple of crappy seasons here and there coupled with an occasional great year ANY day over the mediocrity that Gailey delivered, winning percentage be damned. The great seasons with CPJ make it all worth it for me personally.

Animal02

Banned
So you’d rather beat your chest over Gailey’s slightly better win % and that he won a couple of bowls in Boise? I’ll take a couple of crappy seasons here and there coupled with an occasional great year ANY day over the mediocrity that Gailey delivered, winning percentage be damned. The great seasons with CPJ make it all worth it for me personally.
Not to mention a few wins over the mutts.

GTFLETCH

Banned
So you’ve never seen the kid make a pass attempt in a live game and you want to make him the starter? He’s a great runner, no doubt about it but i am telling yall he looked awful throwing the ball in the spring game, awful. TM gives us the best chance to win, and there is no way in hell he’s moving back to A-back his senior year.
So you would rather have our best Aback play QB and win what 5 or 6 games and let the Back up not get any experience so we can all be upset next year when we have zero QBs on the roster with game experience.... At some point it has to be about building the brand and developing the players.... I mean hell our defense still looks crappy as it was with Al Groh, or Ted roof (not 2014 season.. I thank Ted for that, but the Offense was awesome also)

So if we are going to go 2-2 in OOC play and 3-5 or 4-4 in ACC play I would rather see T. Marshall at AB and Tobias at QB..... trying to get to 6 games with Tobias or James at QB is more exciting to me then a senior ABack playing QB...

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
So you would rather have our best Aback play QB and win what 5 or 6 games and let the Back up not get any experience so we can all be upset next year when we have zero QBs on the roster with game experience.... At some point it has to be about building the brand and developing the players.... I mean hell our defense still looks crappy as it was with Al Groh, or Ted roof (not 2014 season.. I thank Ted for that, but the Offense was awesome also)

So if we are going to go 2-2 in OOC play and 3-5 or 4-4 in ACC play I would rather see T. Marshall at AB and Tobias at QB..... trying to get to 6 games with Tobias or James at QB is more exciting to me then a senior ABack playing QB...
You are making a poor argument for moving Marshall to AB.

You are conceding a record "3-5 or 4-4 in ACC play;" speculating to develop a presupposition. You play to win the games in front of you. Moreover, according to many members of this site, if CPJ has a bad year, he is gone. Begs the question of why CPJ would give a **** about developing future QBs if he were to agree with your concession of "3-5 or 4-4 in ACC play."

GTFLETCH

Banned
You are making a poor argument for moving Marshall to AB.

You are conceding a record "3-5 or 4-4 in ACC play;" speculating to develop a presupposition. You play to win the games in front of you. Moreover, according to many members of this site, if CPJ has a bad year, he is gone. Begs the question of why CPJ would give a **** about developing future QBs if he were to agree with your concession of "3-5 or 4-4 in ACC play."
After watching Tech last season and through the first 2 games of 2018, I would be amazed if anyone thinks Tech will be in the ACC CG....but I guess people can stick their head in the sand all they want, most folks I talk to think 6-6 or 7-5 is what we are..Once we have that, we can talk about what is best for the program.... Clearly T. Marshall will not be on the team next year.... Also if CPJ just received an extension, why not play the younger guys... I mean if we are going to suck let them play!! Build the Brand!!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Frick Gailey. I'm glad he's gone. Doesn't change the facts about winning % though. How many bowl games did Gailey lose?

No. I want to see us win every game. The frustrating thing to me is I think Johnson is capable of it. I think he's letting his ego get in the way as he refuses to adjust his offense to adjust to the changing climate of college football. You can say the offense is putting up production but what is the opportunity cost on the effect on the defense? When is the "good production" not enough when we still lose games anyways? I think somewhere along the way he decided he wanted to prove the system he develop could work instead of continuing to develop it, which is what made him a great coach to begin with, as well as never really embraced the the notion of being a head coach. I think if he decided to he could do what is needed. I just don't have any faith that he will, because that may very well mean stepping away as an OC, being more of a HC, and deferring play calling duties and some of the offense designing to others. As far as another extension goes, I don't think he should get another half a mill raise for a one year bump no matter how good the season. Last time we did that he rewarded us with a 3 win season. He needs to prove consistency to get his next raise imo.

yep-- he loves the Offense
we won the Off game with 600+ yds --BUT we lost the STs game,(can't even talk about it was so bad) the 3rd down % game (3 for 12) , and the TO game (1-3) ---so what was more important piling up yardage or WINNING the game?

Jmonty71

Banned
I think TM has the tools, but lack the confidence. CPJ has a history of being loyal to his starters. Both good and bad qualities. Good in that you don't feel like you lose your job, because of a bad game. How would you like to have a boss that fires you, because you have one bad day? I'm sure if happens, but you get the jest. I think TM just needs to work on 2 things. 1st and most important... Timing... Good gosh, timing.. 2nd, identifying blitzes and throwing to the hot receiver. I would imagine CPJ has the hot receiver in his scheme. Those 2 things and he'll get 70% better. Beyond that is arm strength and accuracy.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
After watching Tech last season and through the first 2 games of 2018, I would be amazed if anyone thinks Tech will be in the ACC CG....but I guess people can stick their head in the sand all they want, most folks I talk to think 6-6 or 7-5 is what we are..Once we have that, we can talk about what is best for the program.... Clearly T. Marshall will not be on the team next year.... Also if CPJ just received an extension, why not play the younger guys... I mean if we are going to suck let them play!! Build the Brand!!
isnt the d doing this?

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm laughing because when I saw this post I KNEW I'd see somebody praising Chan Gailey! Yes, praise for the guy who decided he rather kick an extra point in the 4th quarter to go up 13-0 on Florida State rather than go for 2...just so we could lose 14-13. How many times did this great coach call time out just before he kicked a field goal? I lost count.
Praise for the coach who stuck by his prized QB Reggie Ball...also prized by Georgia U.... as he found a creative way to lose to them every year....especially the time he threw the ball away at the end of the game on 4th down.
True, Gailey did have one nine win season...thanks to scheduling Samford and Troy that year....and if 9 is the number of wins we consider to represent a 'good' year, can you tell me how many Tech coaches (after Bobby Dodd) achieved more than one 9 win season before Johnson? ONE George O'Leary....and he left Tech to 'coach' Notre Dame. Bobby Ross gets a pass for only having one because he took over after the wretched Bill Lewis program and took us to that place where many thought we would never see again.....#1! ...and yet, Ross left Tech to coach pro football.
I FULLY understand your frustration after we find ways to lose games we should be winning. I'd like to see someone post reasons why they think a handful of teams are able to stockpile more than their share of talent. I mean, teams like Florida and Tennessee, who have more money and facilities than we could ever dream of having, can't put a top flight team on the field either.
I'm tired of not being able to function in the rain, not having a QB that can pass, no clutch defense, and sporadic special teams. But I also know that when you take away the high injury years, Johnson still fields a good team.
If any of you geniuses know of a coach that will come to Tech, not require a 5 year developmental plan, be successful, and not leave if successful, please let me know. But until then, I'll bite my lip with Johnson......a good coach!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I'm laughing because when I saw this post I KNEW I'd see somebody praising Chan Gailey! Yes, praise for the guy who decided he rather kick an extra point in the 4th quarter to go up 13-0 on Florida State rather than go for 2...just so we could lose 14-13. How many times did this great coach call time out just before he kicked a field goal? I lost count.
Praise for the coach who stuck by his prized QB Reggie Ball...also prized by Georgia U.... as he found a creative way to lose to them every year....especially the time he threw the ball away at the end of the game on 4th down.
True, Gailey did have one nine win season...thanks to scheduling Samford and Troy that year....and if 9 is the number of wins we consider to represent a 'good' year, can you tell me how many Tech coaches (after Bobby Dodd) achieved more than one 9 win season before Johnson? ONE George O'Leary....and he left Tech to 'coach' Notre Dame. Bobby Ross gets a pass for only having one because he took over after the wretched Bill Lewis program and took us to that place where many thought we would never see again.....#1! ...and yet, Ross left Tech to coach pro football.
I FULLY understand your frustration after we find ways to lose games we should be winning. I'd like to see someone post reasons why they think a handful of teams are able to stockpile more than their share of talent. I mean, teams like Florida and Tennessee, who have more money and facilities than we could ever dream of having, can't put a top flight team on the field either.
I'm tired of not being able to function in the rain, not having a QB that can pass, no clutch defense, and sporadic special teams. But I also know that when you take away the high injury years, Johnson still fields a good team.
If any of you geniuses know of a coach that will come to Tech, not require a 5 year developmental plan, be successful, and not leave if successful, please let me know. But until then, I'll bite my lip with Johnson......a good coach!

While your rant is good for the most part.

Ross was before Lewis but after Curry. O'leary took over for lewis.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

A friend of mine reminded me that even Nick Saban has changed his approach to the game in the last 10 years. I like CPJ and think the TO is a net positive for Tech. But, I also think CPJ "has figured out football" and he's not going to change. Saban has overhauled his staff 4-5 times during his time at Alabama. Without trying to compare GT to Bama, my point is that it's a changing game and CPJ should be changing with it.

What's next for GT? I think the deal is already done and CPJ isn't going anywhere. He's here for the duration and both he and TStan are planning the transition at the same time. If you look out 3-4 years, Tech will be in a totally different place moneywise as multiple legacy costs roll off and we TStan's gladhanding pays off. But, like some of have said, no way do we get a name head coach. We'll get a strong assistant from somewhere and honestly, I hope it's someone who is a defensive genius.

I was in Knoxville last weekend and Jeremy Pruitt is getting rave reviews for returning UT to playing "old fashioned" football with an emphasis on being coached. We'll see, but I think this is a good direction for Tech in a few years.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Tricky Nicky could change systems every week if he wanted to. When a quarter or a third of your team or 5 Star recruits in 50% of 4 star recruits you can probably play almost any system and win.

His recruiting $kills and broad range of majors are the impetus to their number of wins year after year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tricky Nicky could change systems every week if he wanted to. When a quarter or a third of your team or 5 Star recruits in 50% of 4 star recruits you can probably play almost any system and win.

His recruiting $kills and broad range of majors are the impetus to their number of wins year after year.

You oversimplify. Yes, he has talent. But he has also adjusted ... running a multiple, a two-back, pro-style, and West Coast offense in 10 years. In the same time frame, we've run the TO exclusively. True, he had one defensive coordinator (Kirby), but he runs a different offense now that he did.

My point is the game isn't static.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lots of gnashing of teeth over the loss (including mine), but several of these names bring back memories.
  • Bill Curry ... beat out among others, Norm van Brocklin who had coached the Falcons. GTAA was insistent it had to be a Tech Man. Never mind that Bobby Dodd was a UT grad. Curry had no coaching experience and would coach a game on Saturday and sit with Bobby Dodd on Sunday and Dodd taught him what to look for. Finally starting winning and it was Dodd who encouraged him to take the Alabama job. I still think had Curry stayed, he could have stayed for life ... he was a helluva public speaker. [Joe Petit, the President at the time, seriously entertained shutting down the football program. No one thought we could come back and in one move, hired Homer Rice ... which happens to be TStan's mentor.]
  • Bobby Ross ... saved us and won a Nattie. Everyone thought Don Lindsey, the DC, would take over. He picked Homer Rice up at the airport on his return to Atlanta to interview Bobby and asked when he would have his interview. "We already know you", Rice quipped.
  • Bill Lewis ... inherited the program from Bobby Ross. In less than 3 years he took an 8 win GT team & drove it into the ground. Fired after a 1-7 start. Mark Richt coached under him. Ugh.
Every time I think it could be worse, I just sit and think of the 80's. It was really bad ... and then really good.