Fire CJP + State of the Program

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just couldn't stomach watching most of the game today but what I did watch was a team with no identity. We stand around on offense and can't finish at the rim. I can't understand how we can miss so many shots at the rim without drawing fouls. Our only interior player is Banks and our perimeter players can't seem to spot up for open 3 point shots. As tight as UGA was playing the perimeter we should have been able to spread and drive with kick outs. I am beginning to believe we have a problem with our assistant coaching. Pastner better evaluate his staff and his recruiting is not getting it done this year. I'm tired of waiting til next year.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
call me a bad fan , fair weather or what not, but the way I see it is if our b-ball team doesn’t bother you then you’re not a true fan : anyway there’s no reason GT b-ball should be where we’ve been for 14 years (give or take maybe 2 seasons !!) We have a great tradition & are located in great geographical spot . I can understand why it would be hard for football to recruit & keep up with big boys because you have so many spots to fill on a football team , but all it takes is a couple, 3 good players to compete in round ball & we just can’t seem to attract them . Cremins must’ve been a miracle worker or the academic standards have gotten that much more stringent . The main reason this is soooooo frustrating for me is : we’re not gonna compete with Ugag in football for a while I don’t care if we had Lombardi for a coach !! Their a powerhouse now , but if we could dominate in b-ball & baseball it would make things so much easier to stomach , but we can’t !! Uga is bad in b-ball now ! I’m afraid they have a coach that can turn that around , maybe not , but they currently have 2 4* guys committed for next year & we have a Juco guy who doesn’t start for his current team , this is sad . We should beat uga in roundball atleast 7 out of 10 years imo . They have NO history or tradition & they’re embarrassing us . I think we’re realizing now why Memphis wanted pastner gone . Thanks Bobinski .
Tech basketball started drifting downward much longer than 14 years ago. It really started when players were allowed to go pro early. Cremins put SO much effort into getting a select few players, that when junior Scott and underclassmen Anderson and Marbury left so soon, he never recovered. After his not for long resignation he was a shell of himself.
Hewitt is a terrible game day coach, but for a few years, he was able to recruit and guys like, Jack, Elder, and Bynum, willed our team through not so difficult competition to the NCAA final....where Tech and the refs stunk up the building. Ah, but then our administration, falsely thinking we had found 'our' coach, and fearing that he might leave, finished our program off for the next 14+ years.
Blewitt gets fired so we can sever the rollover contract, but we had no money to attract a coach. So feeling scared we grab Gregory. We get rid of him.....and then we had to hire a coach cheap enough so we could pay salaries for THREE at the same time. Madness! Adding Fatal Attraction and losing our recruiter is icing on the dung cake.
It's obvious in both football and basketball, that elite athletes and those that think they are......are convinced that the only way to showcase their talent to the NFL and NBA is to cram into a few programs. They are wrong, of course, but they read everything on twitter and believe it.
I like Pastner. I never expected him to be a great offensive coach. But I do think he has to surround himself with somebody who is and hire recruiters.
As for this week, didn't we add the Arkansas game late? It was obvious to me today that the three games in 5+ days had taken their toll.
But everybody is tired of excuses. Tech basketball should be he hottest ticket in town.
I actually enjoy watching these guys and think we're headed in the right direction....but having them struggle after watching all the kooky things our program has been through the last 20+ years I understand everybody's frustration......but I'll be at every game.....

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I just couldn't stomach watching most of the game today but what I did watch was a team with no identity. We stand around on offense and can't finish at the rim. I can't understand how we can miss so many shots at the rim without drawing fouls. Our only interior player is Banks and our perimeter players can't seem to spot up for open 3 point shots. As tight as UGA was playing the perimeter we should have been able to spread and drive with kick outs. I am beginning to believe we have a problem with our assistant coaching. Pastner better evaluate his staff and his recruiting is not getting it done this year. I'm tired of waiting til next year.
Missing Hardy & LaBarrie.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Really rough game to watch today. We have few shooters and even fewer playmakers. Devoe, in my opinion, will be our best player next year... he shows flashes, but he’s got a lot of growing to do.

Without a strong piece in this recruiting cycle, which it appears we’ve missed out on, 19 and 20 aren’t going to be much better.

At least we are almost done with Hewitt (finally!), and the athletic department is on better financial standing. Hopefully that leads to a quality hire after another weak year in 2019.

slugboy

Staff member
Alvarado was 3 for 20 FGs today. Pastner should have seen that coming and benched him. I mean, Alvarado was 9 for 15 against ARK, so it was totally predictable, right? Completely Pastner's fault.

Some of you are amazing.

I understand the point you’re making, but unless you have a transformational player, you don’t want all your eggs in one basket. We need a plan B for the games where Jose isn’t shooting well.

Jose is as at least as important as a ball distributor as he is as a shooter. We need someone or multiple someones to pick up the scoring slack when he has a bad shooting day.

We could also use a scheme that puts our players in a position to make easier shots. One of the easiest ways to get hot is to start off with easy challenges and get into the zone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Missing Hardy & LaBarrie.

Yes, we do. If I understand correctly, Bobinski helped CJP hire both of them, as the assistants he had at Memphis were suspect. Then when they left, Pastner hired the ones we have now basically on his own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Basketball is easier to rebuild than football in that you really only need one or two players to make a difference. There is so much talent in ATL that it is really hard to be as bad as we are right now. CJP needs to show some of that recruiting prowess, because there aren't any difference makers on this team. Alvarado, Devoe, and Banks are good players. They are contributors on an NCAAT team, but if those are your very best, recruiting must be pretty bad and it is.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
So much wrong with GT basketball:
We fired an average coach that could recruit somewhat.
We hired an average coach that can't recruit.
Someone painted the basketball floor pea green.
The Thriller-Dome is gone. It died a slow death and people didn't even realize it.
Todd Stansbury will send season ticket holders a letter stating that all is well and he fully backs the current coach.
Expect Josh Pastner to get a contract extension. It will be reasoned that recruits won't come here if they know the coach won't be around. That is Tech's business model. Throw good money after bad.
Tech worn new jerseys today. I kept seeing the word wreck on the front. I agreed.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Alvarado and some of the other players so don't blame them and I feel for them - but for several reasons I am really down on this coach and it started with the Bell thing. I also rarely hear anyone say GT "got a good one". Recruiting and coaching obviously have been weak. He let last year's team be destroyed by Bell bad press all year and also resulted in two of our players being suspended - just ridiculous the whole thing and I have little sympathy to Pastner for the whole affair. It was just awful judgment and worthy of being fired over. I'm just a fan but wonder if within recruiting circles he is laughed at for being a goofball.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I really want(ed) Pastner to be successful, but the Ron Bell thing is an obvious black eye for the program, and it has to be an easy target for negative recruiting. I imagine that fiasco has definitely impacted Pastner's recruiting success over the last year.