Fire CJP + State of the Program

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
GT has won in the past in baseball , basketball , & football . We’ve won natl titles & were runners up . I can’t figure out why that in the last few years people want to make excuses of why we’re not winning in b-ball & baseball anymore . If the academics & money are keeping us from it then maybe we should join Ivy League & stop making excuses

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
GT has won in the past in baseball , basketball , & football . We’ve won natl titles & were runners up . I can’t figure out why that in the last few years people want to make excuses of why we’re not winning in b-ball & baseball anymore . If the academics & money are keeping us from it then maybe we should join Ivy League & stop making excuses

To be fair, the landscape is significantly different these days. Doesn't mean we shld be as bad as we've been. But it isn't an apples to apples comp even to as recently as the last Final 4 team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, the landscape is significantly different these days. Doesn't mean we shld be as bad as we've been. But it isn't an apples to apples comp even to as recently as the last Final 4 team.

One of the things that I will always struggle to understand is how some can respond as if the playing field was constant, let alone fair.

Bobby found success, and them the influence of the shoe money changed the playing field. In the last 10 years, may have had a zimilar effect. However, more than that, the money and coverage has lessened the strength of recruiting to the ACC in Basketball.

Who knows what factors are ultimately decisive.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
If we think our ultimate comp and/or target school is UGA we are in more trouble than I even thought we were.
We should strive to beat uga every year in every sport ! Not saying that’s the ceiling though, but lately we haven’t been able to accomplish it

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Not saying this to argue at all , but really to ask why ! I feel like things have changed over the last 10 or so years to make us being competitive harder , but what has changed ? The academic restrictions , $$, etc ? I
Don’t understand it . Every institute of higher learnings’ main objective is academics , but nothing wrong with us striving for greatness in sports . We’ve got a ton of tradition & history in b-ball & it’s ridiculous to see how it’s gone down the drain

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner is a dead man walking. He thought he could come to the ATL and recruit like he was at a **** school like Memphis. GT donors are nothing like Memphis donors. And the Georgia Institute of Technology is nothing like the University of Memphis. Major career miscalculation on the part of Josh Pastner and his agent....

I think we are in the midst of understanding what the Memphis faithful were speaking about when GT took CJP off their hands. It was some of the happiest times for them since the days of Dana Kirk.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
By the realities of his contract - and the expectations agreed with the then AD - Year 4 is when it is fair/reasonable/expected/makes any difference to start judging him. Although I do recognize that many are already judging him based on the attendance numbers for these OOC games.

Until then I expect some more of these really bad oh gradu games combined with what I hope are some solid wins (nice if they started the next 2 games). But with the talent we have right now I don't expect to get past middling of the ACC - unless there is a really major jump by Devoe or Haywood next year.

Striking out this recruiting period is a huge deal. Yea there are players who are or will become available that can help make up the difference - and I am not one who is averse to signing grad transfers, one and dones, transfers or whatever - but we have a real pattern of signing projects over players and that has to change if we are going to move up the food chain. This much more than an abysmal loss to GW will likely be the ultimate downfall of CJP which is strange given his rep as a recruiter coming in.

Projects are fine as long as the staff is willing AND capable of making them better. Unfortunately, as an outsider looking in, the current staff doesn't appear to be doing a very good job of making anyone look good.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
What about Reveno (sp?) and big men? I think they have improved. Am I nuts?

The coaches (maybe Reveno) seemed to work wonders with AD last year. He could barely put one foot in front of the other at the beginning of the season and by the end of the season he had some nearly unstoppable moves in the low post. I have no idea what has happened to all of that previous improvement this season. He can't even get on the court this season. I know Banks has been a pleasant surprise, but I don't understand what has happened to AD. Pastner has yet to impress with his ability or desire to manage/split minutes, so maybe that is it.

slugboy

Staff member
AD is definitely in our top 8 players. I think he’s 6 or 7 in real plus minus.

We don’t use AD and Banks at the same time. I guess we don’t want to play zone on defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We play a ton of zone already. So that is not the issue. They don’t want to play them together on offense. However we have started to play A 3 out 2 in system which we do for Moses a lot now. It would not be hard to do that with AD and banks at the same time.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We play a ton of zone already. So that is not the issue. They don’t want to play them together on offense. However we have started to play A 3 out 2 in system which we do for Moses a lot now. It would not be hard to do that with AD and banks at the same time.

I would like to see some of that, but even without it, why can't AD get on the court? Banks has been trending up towards 35 minutes per game, and last game against ugag, he looked gassed at the end of the 2nd half.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are in the midst of understanding what the Memphis faithful were speaking about when GT took CJP off their hands. It was some of the happiest times for them since the days of Dana Kirk.
To be fair, Memphis hasn't looked much better since he left

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see some of that, but even without it, why can't AD get on the court? Banks has been trending up towards 35 minutes per game, and last game against ugag, he looked gassed at the end of the 2nd half.

Personal opinion and recognize CJP does not have me on speed dial ;)

I think Banks should be the starter and should get the majority of minutes. However, I do not see the gap between Banks and AD as the same level as Lammers and AD (mostly AD is better) so I agree that Banks trending toward Lammers level 35 minutes is an issue/not warranted.

I think CJP sees Banks as the shiny new toy. He has gotten real improvement from the 5 spot and wants more of it. And as has been stated, he is noted for his desire to ride players as hard as he possibly can. He talked about going deeper in the bench but I haven't really seen it. I think it is simply part of his DNA. FWIW K has the same DNA so it isn't defacto a bad thing.

To add to your point about being gassed, I went back and watched the UGA game again. One thing I noted is that Banks doesn't hold his spot on the block well or long at all. UGA took a page from St Johns and really went after him physically which meant he almost always got the ball a step or 2 off the block. Each step reduces your percentage of success by half. It is huge to get pushed out like that. It also takes a ton of energy and want to in order to hold that position. If I know I am playing 30 - 35 minutes I am in energy saver mode a lot and that is a great way to do that is not fight on the block. Too much energy. I would much rather see him playing 25 minutes or so and battling like hadies to stay on the block.

FWIW I would also like to see us use Banks in high pick and role a lot more than we do. In reality he isn't strong enough to play block to block and has to get movement in order to make things easier for him. Also should get him some switches / mismatches to make things easier. Not all the time but would love to see us work that a fair amount. It would help him and force some rotations we are not forcing right now.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

And they were happy with his replacement, who has already been fired. Memphis fans are delusional and a significant part of the problems that memphis faces.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
And they were happy with his replacement, who has already been fired. Memphis fans are delusional and a significant part of the problems that memphis faces.
They have Penny now..... They went the “we need one of our own” route, ala St. John’s and Georgetown. Who knows. We might have been better off with Mark Price and Noodles at this point. Not sure if it could be any worse. And yea I know we won today. But had no idea we played until my phone alerted me.....

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
They have Penny now..... They went the “we need one of our own” route, ala St. John’s and Georgetown. Who knows. We might have been better off with Mark Price and Noodles at this point. Not sure if it could be any worse. And yea I know we won today. But had no idea we played until my phone alerted me.....

It could be worse. We could still have gregory.