Fall Camp Thread

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Makes me wonder if camp thought this was a post and Quan thought it was an out. Or, hopefully not, just a horribly thrown ball.

On the downside, No. 6 had no clue where the ball was.

Yeah looks like it was intended as back shoulder throw on the out. The defender had a lot of time to try and find the ball and make a play based on when Camp turned to locate it, but he still probably wouldn't have been able to stop it.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yeah looks like it was intended as back shoulder throw on the out. The defender had a lot of time to try and find the ball and make a play based on when Camp turned to locate it, but he still probably wouldn't have been able to stop it.

Players running around chasing people is not my personal experience of good football and therefore I hate man coverage, but a certain amount is necessary in todays game at this level, especially for the CBs. At some point the defender has to give up the chase and find the ball...not an easy task and something we have traditionally not been so good at (i.e. poor to avg pass defense especially when combined with no pass rush). Maybe the new D with more predictable pressure on the passer will give the DBs some help in improving their technique and performance. I am really looking forward to the change in the D and am very optimistic about it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Makes me wonder if camp thought this was a post and Quan thought it was an out. Or, hopefully not, just a horribly thrown ball.

On the downside, No. 6 had no clue where the ball was.
Looks like he was trying to throw a back shoulder pass with the CB on the inside and he just threw it too far to the outside shoulder.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Players running around chasing people is not my personal experience of good football and therefore I hate man coverage, but a certain amount is necessary in todays game at this level, especially for the CBs. At some point the defender has to give up the chase and find the ball...not an easy task and something we have traditionally not been so good at (i.e. poor to avg pass defense especially when combined with no pass rush). Maybe the new D with more predictable pressure on the passer will give the DBs some help in improving their technique and performance. I am really looking forward to the change in the D and am very optimistic about it.

Well, I've never played organized football nor coached it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Under those constraints, it's hypocritical to call out #6, but he seemed to not be needing to make up too much ground, and when the receiver turns around to locate the ball, that's usually your cue to do the same. Sometimes a good route, good throw, and good timing just burns you. Here there were deficiencies in at least 2/3 but still likely to get burned, but I would have liked to see some better attempt to locate the ball. It's also unfair to highlight one bad play.

Anyway, I like man coverage a reasonable part of the time. There is hopefully safety help, QB pressure, and selectivity based on game situation. Either way, you gotta mix up your coverages some and get pressure some or no matter what coverage your'e in you'll get burnt, I hated the big cushion zone schemes when we couldn't even make the QB sweat, as even bad teams can find a soft spot in the zone and rhythm if don't disrupt anything.

I also hate to hear announcers harping on single man coverage on the outside in our system as every QB's dream. We never seem to complete a high % of passes despite that theoretical advantage. Even with poor coverage and no pressure it's hard to execute a deep throw and hit a guy in perfect stride to take it to the house.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Looks like he was trying to throw a back shoulder pass with the CB on the inside and he just threw it too far to the outside shoulder.
Will be glad to Not here the word Throw to describe a ga tech pass. How bout " perfect pass" ? Just kidding .

Maybe we always pass this much but I sure enjoy these photos. Keep practicing.