Fall Camp Thread

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
What violations? Just curious. I’ve never heard that til now lol

It showed a video of coach Sisk giving summer workouts to the freshman, and he said something about showing up to workouts or getting punished. Apparently it's against NCAA rules to require summer activities. We got like the mildest possible infraction, and it was really no big deal. It was just funny that we couldn't even put out a video properly. It's a stark contrast from the stuff we have now that has great production value.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The jack is the rush linebacker, his obvious job is to rush into the line of scrimmage.
The stinger is a hybrid position, he may rush or drop into coverage.

Victor (Jack) & Jalen (Stinger) are perfect for those roles. Too bad they had to wait to be seniors to finally get positions that fit.

Nice to hear about the number of young guys getting noticed. Should have a really fast and versatile defense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From #GTCamp18 Central:
Play of the Day: While the Yellow Jackets held 11-on-11 drills in full pads for the first time on Tuesday, the most impressive plays of the day came during 7-on-7 work earlier in the afternoon. Defensively, true freshman linebacker Quez Jackson made a huge play when he picked off a deflected pass and returned it for a touchdown. Just a few plays later, the offense turned in a big play of its own when senior quarterback TaQuon Marshall found junior A-back Omahri Jarrett streaking behind the secondary and hit him in stride for a long gain.​

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
From #GTCamp18 Central:
Play of the Day: While the Yellow Jackets held 11-on-11 drills in full pads for the first time on Tuesday, the most impressive plays of the day came during 7-on-7 work earlier in the afternoon. Defensively, true freshman linebacker Quez Jackson made a huge play when he picked off a deflected pass and returned it for a touchdown. Just a few plays later, the offense turned in a big play of its own when senior quarterback TaQuon Marshall found junior A-back Omahri Jarrett streaking behind the secondary and hit him in stride for a long gain.​
"hit him in stride"

I hope I read this 1000 times this camp, especially in scrimmages. He really struggled with this last year. We left a lot of big plays on the field because the ball was off the mark, usually underthrown.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think we're getting too hung up on "3-4" "3-3-5" "4-3" "5-2"...etc.

IMO, it's more how each guy is used. Jalen Johnson made reference to the fact that sometimes he might rush, other times he may cover the slot or TE. To me, that screams a defense that's positionally flexible to what the offense is doing. CNW is more concerned with flexibility, and athleticism to do multiple jobs on any given down depending on what the offense presents. I remember watching CNW's guys line up in 3-4 one play, later in the game, the ILB with creep to the LOS (hence bigger LBs on the inside) which in essence became a 4-3, and even giving the offense a 5-2 look before watching the OLBs bring heat at the snap.

That's just a fun defense to watch...and probably even more fun to play in. You could tell in the past with our other DCs how teams took advantage of certain personnel (like making Julian Burnett or PJ Davis cover a 6'5 TE, or lining up in spread and having guys with limited mobility cover the sideline to sideline and vertically). I've always thought GT, given our difficulty recruiting war daddies on the DL should have gone to a 3 DL base defense a long time ago. Unfortunately, Al Groh's time probably turned a lot of us off on that...but practically it makes more sense for us given the constraints.

I know this much: CNW ain't scared to move guys around and experiment. We've seen CPJ do it on the offensive side, and it's fun to watch. I'm already excited to watch it on the defensive side.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
"hit him in stride"

I hope I read this 1000 times this camp, especially in scrimmages. He really struggled with this last year. We left a lot of big plays on the field because the ball was off the mark, usually underthrown.

The numbers for TQM in the pocket and under duress are white staggeringly different. He hit some guys in stride last year (see: VT) but either faced pressure or left the pocket instead of going through his progressions too often. I don't expect our OL to magically give him time, but I do think he can be more patient, he can improve his decision making and footwork when he has to move around, and there is hope for pass blocking to improve a bit. Much of that is also game situation. The numbers might be a whole lot better if the defense and ST step up just a bit. And even better if we can be more reliable picking up yardage on first down.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
The numbers for TQM in the pocket and under duress are white staggeringly different. He hit some guys in stride last year (see: VT) but either faced pressure or left the pocket instead of going through his progressions too often. I don't expect our OL to magically give him time, but I do think he can be more patient, he can improve his decision making and footwork when he has to move around, and there is hope for pass blocking to improve a bit. Much of that is also game situation. The numbers might be a whole lot better if the defense and ST step up just a bit. And even better if we can be more reliable picking up yardage on first down.
Personally, I think TQM got a slight injury around/after midseason. Not bad enough to make him miss games, but enough to affect this throwing mechanics. Looking forward to seeing his improvement, but if he doesn't improve over the last half of last year I hope someone else will get a chance.