Fall Camp Thread

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tifwiw:
Miami, CU, and georgie are the only losses where we did not outscore our opponents' average points/game.

I'm pretty sure that if you take into account the fewer drives/game that Miami would also come off that list.

So, with an average D, our only losses were to teams in the playoffs.

Drink the koolaid

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
From some of the specifics cited by the players I’m inclined to believe the new scheme will be a better fit for us.

I haven’t heard anything of note about scheme changes in the secondary but there have been plenty of comments about Dline reads and gap responsibility, then simpler quicker fits for the LBs based off that.

Pretty clear consensus the focus for Dline Guys is attack the space and penetrate first and foremost.

Tape on App State secondary shows a lot of similar looks that we gave yet still a different style in execution.

Color me a believer. Our guys still have to run, hit, and beat blocks but I think we grabbed a good DC and I think we will have improved results based on that alone.

And I do think our recruiting has improved the last few years and we have more depth now than in a long time. I’d feel even better if some question marks at NG had apparent answers.

I actually think a top 40D is possible this year. I’ll be pretty surprised if we do much better than that. And no I don’t think Roof could get us there if given the chance.

Here’s to hoping my wildest dreams are exceeded and CNW becomes the fan favorite replacement for CPJ when he retires in 10 years.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I know you’re just giving him a hard time, but it’s useful to know where to find these metrics. S&P and F+ are two of the better aggregate predictors out there (plus ELO and some others).
Bill Connolly explains S&P at https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ge-football-advanced-stats-analytics-rankings and a little more at https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/2/9/8001137/college-football-advanced-stats-glossary

It stands for Success and Points

On offense, it’s a combination of factors, adjusted for the opponent and factoring out garbage time. Some of those things are how often you get at least 5 yards on first down (or, on defense, give up less than that). On special teams, pinning the other team back is good and worth points.

Here is how he describes it:

FIVE FACTORS
The Five Factors are the basis for the new S&P+ ratings. They stem from the work done in this post.

But over time, I've come to realize that the sport comes down to five basic things, four of which you can mostly control. You make more big plays than your opponent, you stay on schedule, you tilt the field, you finish drives, and you fall on the ball. Explosiveness, efficiency, field position, finishing drives, and turnovers are the five factors to winning football games.

If you win the explosiveness battle (using PPP), you win 86 percent of the time.
If you win the efficiency battle (using Success Rate), you win 83 percent of the time.
If you win the drive-finishing battle (using points per trip inside the 40), you win 75 percent of the time.
If you win the field position battle (using average starting field position), you win 72 percent of the time.
If you win the turnover battle (using turnover margin), you win 73 percent of the time.
This is from 2013 college football game data. It's very, very similar from year to year.

These are good odds. And they speak to the fundamentals of football itself. You want to be efficient when you've got the ball, because if you fall behind schedule and into passing downs, you're far less likely to make a good play. You want to eat up chunks of yardage with big plays, because big plays mean both points and fewer opportunities to make mistakes. When you get the opportunity to score, you want to score. And when you give the ball back to your opponent, you want to give them to have to go as far as possible.
Aside from their impact on the new S&P+ ratings, the Five Factors will be accounted for in the 2015 season previews in 10 ways -- five adjusted for opponent, five not, and all interrelated:

Efficiency. Success Rate (unadjusted) and Success Rate+ (adjusted). As defined above, success rates examine your efficiency and consistency in staying on schedule and putting yourself in position to move the chains.

Explosiveness. IsoPPP (unadjusted) and IsoPPP+ (adjusted). IsoPPP is the Equivalent Points Per Play (PPP) average on only successful plays. This allows us to look at offense in two steps: How consistently successful were you, and when you were successful, how potent were you?

Field Position. Average Starting Field Position (unadjusted) and FP+ (adjusted). This is mostly self-explanatory, with one important note: An offense is measured by its defense's starting field position, and vice versa. Special teams obviously play a large role in field position, but so do the effectiveness of your offense and defense. So in the team profiles, you'll find Defensive Starting FP in the offensive section and Offensive Starting FP in the defensive section.

Finishing Drives. Points Per Trip Inside the 40 (unadjusted) and Redzone S&P+ (adjusted). Also mostly self-explanatory. These measures look not at how frequently you create scoring opportunities, but how you finish the ones you create. And yes, for the purposes of these stats, the "red zone" starts at the 40, not the 20.

Turnovers. Using both Turnover Margin and Adjusted Turnover Margin (as defined above), we can take a look at both how many turnovers you should have committed (on offense) or forced (on defense) and how many you actually did. This tells us a little bit about quality and a lot about the Turnovers Luck idea defined above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in the company of those much more learned than I. I DID NOT KNOW what S & P stood for but you have educated me and doubtless many others. The "IFs" you cited add up to winning football games to be sure. Our problem this year will be the first that you list: explosiveness. Unless our wide receivers and A backs get separation and Marshall improves his passing and ability to see the field we will be limited severely in this area. I think we can stay on schedule with the pile driving B backs and our fine set of guards, we can certainly finish drives that is a hall mark of triple option teams, our defense will create more turnovers according to 33 and others who are confident in our latest defense. Field position is in the capable hands or foot of our punter but I am afraid that if we can't get some easy scores like we did in the days of D Thomas, S Hill, Waller and Smelter we will face 7 or 8 defenders in the box all the time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From some of the specifics cited by the players I’m inclined to believe the new scheme will be a better fit for us.

I haven’t heard anything of note about scheme changes in the secondary but there have been plenty of comments about Dline reads and gap responsibility, then simpler quicker fits for the LBs based off that.

Pretty clear consensus the focus for Dline Guys is attack the space and penetrate first and foremost.

Tape on App State secondary shows a lot of similar looks that we gave yet still a different style in execution.

Color me a believer. Our guys still have to run, hit, and beat blocks but I think we grabbed a good DC and I think we will have improved results based on that alone.

And I do think our recruiting has improved the last few years and we have more depth now than in a long time. I’d feel even better if some question marks at NG had apparent answers.

I actually think a top 40D is possible this year. I’ll be pretty surprised if we do much better than that. And no I don’t think Roof could get us there if given the chance.

Here’s to hoping my wildest dreams are exceeded and CNW becomes the fan favorite replacement for CPJ when he retires in 10 years.

Christian Campbell, iirc, said something about the strong safety and stinger calls complimenting each other. So, it sounds to me like the scheme change does affect the secondary.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Christian Campbell, iirc, said something about the strong safety and stinger calls complimenting each other. So, it sounds to me like the scheme change does affect the secondary.

If its anything like a 3-5 stack with rovers ( basically your outside backers are also both technically SS's and you blitz ALOT) we will have a lot of single high safety looks and be doing a good amount of cover 3 against teams that go 2-2 or 2-1 personnel.

Calls basically work like this in a system.

You have your line call. something like " lazer, razer, or tango" This tells your down lineman which way they are stunting, either left, right or some sort of twist stunt. You then have backer call, that might be as simple as which backer is blitzing, this call is off of the line call with special packages potentially existing as called plays. Then you have your secondary Call. So a full defense call might be

Lazor, rip Over 2 Drop. Which is line slanting left, linebackers bringing a blits form teh right inside backer, safties rolling into cover 2, and corners dropping.

A simple check liek " Check RAZER" , would act like saying RAZER Luke Over 2 Drop and it would flip the play, telling everyone to roll inverted to what they just said. This check would come from the Linebacker. The linebacker makes the call for the line and the backer. If a secondary member checks coverage, he would only check that and it would apply to the non blitzing backer. This means there are two callers on the field, and they feed off of each other. The safety might read 4 verts and go ( " MAN MAN MAN Stinger Drop ) which woudl still have the stunt only the MLB might know to either flip the blitz from the strong or the slant from the strong.

This is simplistic and probably not what we are doing but this is a method for calling an attacking defense with minimal checks.

You probably also have a defense of the week bound to a call liek " BASE" which will reset it it to probably a man up cover 2 with a minimal stunt. Something that can be called if the offense presents something new or the LB or Safety recongizes the current call won't work.

Milwaukee

Banned
If its anything like a 3-5 stack with rovers ( basically your outside backers are also both technically SS's and you blitz ALOT) we will have a lot of single high safety looks and be doing a good amount of cover 3 against teams that go 2-2 or 2-1 personnel.

Calls basically work like this in a system.

You have your line call. something like " lazer, razer, or tango" This tells your down lineman which way they are stunting, either left, right or some sort of twist stunt. You then have backer call, that might be as simple as which backer is blitzing, this call is off of the line call with special packages potentially existing as called plays. Then you have your secondary Call. So a full defense call might be

Lazor, rip Over 2 Drop. Which is line slanting left, linebackers bringing a blits form teh right inside backer, safties rolling into cover 2, and corners dropping.

A simple check liek " Check RAZER" , would act like saying RAZER Luke Over 2 Drop and it would flip the play, telling everyone to roll inverted to what they just said. This check would come from the Linebacker. The linebacker makes the call for the line and the backer. If a secondary member checks coverage, he would only check that and it would apply to the non blitzing backer. This means there are two callers on the field, and they feed off of each other. The safety might read 4 verts and go ( " MAN MAN MAN Stinger Drop ) which woudl still have the stunt only the MLB might know to either flip the blitz from the strong or the slant from the strong.

This is simplistic and probably not what we are doing but this is a method for calling an attacking defense with minimal checks.

You probably also have a defense of the week bound to a call liek " BASE" which will reset it it to probably a man up cover 2 with a minimal stunt. Something that can be called if the offense presents something new or the LB or Safety recongizes the current call won't work.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
It certainly seems that regardless of performance, the new defense will be more fun for the players and more fun to watch. That alone is a positive as well as possibly being positive for defensive recruiting as well. After Alcorn I am sure we will have people providing examples both as to why it will be no better than the past and others pointing out why it will make us ACC champs this year. Time will tell, but it is great to see the team excited about the changes.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
After Alcorn I am sure we will have people providing examples both as to why it will be no better than the past and others pointing out why it will make us ACC champs this year. Time will tell, but it is great to see the team excited about the changes.
Agree. I've been thinking the same thing. It would be interesting if someone creates in a new thread asking what everyone's measures of success will be for the new D. Everyone can define their own parameters... whole season, game-by-game, metrics, eye test, etc.

slugboy

Staff member
This guys is not buying the new defense... but I am not buying what he is selling...

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check...woody-attacking-style/BQO7ghFW9eHra3izDrTnPK/

I remember Wommack coming in with a good (but not amazing) reputation. Groh had a Super Bowl ring. Roof’s reputation was in the middle, but we had hope because he was one of us.
I don’t mind someone saying “prove it”. It’s been a while since we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I've noticed in all the interviews is how positive the DLs sound.

If I had to put this down to anything, I think I'd pick that they all know they'll play. It won't be a matter of one player playing most of the game at any position; they'll all get a shot. This, from my experience back in the Dark Ages, does wonders for morale. There's nothing a DL dislikes more then sitting on the bench.

This, I like. We'll see how it actually works out.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
There was a bit of a cheshire cat grin from CPJ (as close as you are gonna get anyway) when he talked about the NT spot.

I hope Adams is progressing at nose as well. KCH and Adams would be a good combo at NT. There hasn’t been much talk about Adams throughout camp though.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Scrimmage notes from RamblinWreck.com:
  • The intrasquad scrimmage saw the offense and defense square off for a total of 13 series and just under 100 total plays.
  • The offense scored three times (one touchdown and two field goals):
    • Touchdown
      • 35-yard touchdown run off the right side by A-back Nathan Cottrell (drive: six plays, 70 yards)
    • Field Goals
      • Brenton King – 35 yards
      • Wesley Wells – 23 yards
    • The offense also missed a 53-yard field goal attempt which sailed wide right of the upright.
    • The offense totaled five plays of 20-yards or more for the day and had eight series go six plays or more, highlighted by a field goal drive consisting of 15 plays.
    • The defense recorded four three and outs and forced two turnovers.
      • Turnovers
        • Interception by DB Jaylon King at the defense’s 20-yard line
        • Fumble recovery by the defensive line on the offense’s 35-yard line
      • The defense also tallied 10 tackles for loss, five pass breakups and four sacks for the contest

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
And a few 42 -10!
By the way I was at a restaurant that had dining room with ND football memorabilia.
During their championships in the 40s and 50 s they went virtually unscored upon. In 66 they had some early games that had 3 total touch downs then it was zero except for the 10 10 Michigan tie.
Ditto , After their offense got rolling, the last 7 games was 40 -50 plus to zero.

Imo this type defense is or best chance of beating a well coached factory school.
20180818_132539.jpg

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
And a few 42 -10!
By the way I was at a restaurant that had dining room with ND football memorabilia.
During their championships in the 40s and 50 s they went virtually unscored upon. In 66 they had some early games that had 3 total touch downs then it was zero except for the 10 10 Michigan tie.
Ditto , After their offense got rolling, the last 7 games was 40 -50 plus to zero.

Imo this type defense is or best chance of beating a well coached factory school.
View attachment 3955

That McGuire’s in Destin, FL? We ate at the same table this summer!

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
I went to the bookstore today and ended up running jnto AJ Gray. Very impressive and respectful young man - he mentioned the gear the guys got at camp this morning and even asked me where my season tickets are. Said he would watch for us at the game. Our student athletes are impressive people.