Fall Camp Thread

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Martins comments about the D in the past were interesting. To me it always seemed we were playing two gap, although the alignment might not look that way. Martin confirmed this in what he said, in this D they are only worrying about 1 gap, in prior years it was “1 gap” but they still worried about the other gap, so imo not a true 1 gap. I know these guys are confident and of course want to be good, but having two guys say they think they can be the best gets my hyped. Although that’s a very long shot, I honestly think they see a MAJOR change in how much better they have gotten. If this D can be top 30, we will should have a very very very good season.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Brant sounds totally different if you heard the tape. No more "lost like a golf ball in high weeds" comment or feel. He sounds totally different than last year!

I do think, and I mean think, he had a hard time with the coaching change. I also think he is 100% bought into the new system now.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
IMO regardless of the defensive scheme you run, two things are important.

1. You have to be able to teach it.

2. You have to be able to fix it.

I don't think we have had a defense in the CPJ tenure where both items were true. Sometimes great talent on the other side of the ball leaves you with too many holes to fill and you get beat, but you shouldn't get beat because the defense doesn't understand what they are supposed to do or where they are supposed to be. I don't see how you have a 4-3 defense where the D is trying to defend two gaps. It just doesn't make sense to me and leads me to believe the players really didn't understand what we were trying to accomplish.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Mitchell's interview is really telling to me, particularly the part where he's talking about the secondary.

It relates back to the concept of EVERYBODY flies to the ball, and he says that Coach Woody teaches them to be ultra aggressive, and not to worry about missing the tackle, because other guys are flying to the ball behind you, and if you miss, they'll take care of it. He says "and if you do make it, even better".

I LOVE this attitude. I'm of the opinion that many more plays are missed due to hesitation than due to over aggressiveness.

Yeah, occasionally you'll give up the big play. I can live with that.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Mitchell's interview is really telling to me, particularly the part where he's talking about the secondary.

It relates back to the concept of EVERYBODY flies to the ball, and he says that Coach Woody teaches them to be ultra aggressive, and not to worry about missing the tackle, because other guys are flying to the ball behind you, and if you miss, they'll take care of it. He says "and if you do make it, even better".

I LOVE this attitude. I'm of the opinion that many more plays are missed due to hesitation than due to over aggressiveness.

Yeah, occasionally you'll give up the big play. I can live with that.
Prime example of this is the first defensive play from App State against UGA.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me or does Brant kinda sound like Stone Cold Steve Austin in his interview? I see why everyone is mentioning him as a leader and go to guy. He got me juiced just from the first comment in his interview!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
One way to counter UGA’s ridiculously massive OLine is with a quick fast Dline.

Pray they can defeat blocks.

And another way is for our offense to go on 8 min drives or longer ( and score )

BlueIllustriousHylaeosaurus-small.gif

5gx5ss