Execution

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Some of those things are knowledge based. Knowing what to do and where to go at what time and with what spacing. However, many of the other things you mentioned require you to overcome your matched up opponent. Making blocks ( getting off blocks for our defensive players) for example, are much harder to do against guys who are bigger,faster, stronger and/or quicker than you are. Making the correct pre-snap reads are much harder against teams that are well-versed against our offense and moving around pre-snap like Clemson. Heck, our timing and spacing, things that are required for optimal flow of the offense, can be easily disrupted by a penetrating defense.

As I said earlier, our offense will go as our offensive line goes. If we can move the line of scrimmage forward instead of backward we will win this game. That is the direction it was going the last two games, not so much for the ones prior.

PS. Giving up 14 points on kick off returns is a dealbreaker.

The highlighted item is where my disagreement with you is in regards to the statements about "execution". I don't believe that when the coach and the players say they what they need to worry about is "execution" and not the opponent they are saying every body must destroy the person they are blocking. They are saying that the team must "execute" their part of the scheme. It is harder to completely block a mike linebacker who is NFL caliber. However even just getting to that level and making him redirect can be the difference between a 3 yard loss and a 3 yard gain. Timing and spacing can be messed up if someone makes it directly to the backfield. However, in the Clemson game there were pitch guys who were either very close to the QB or were behind the QB. I believe on one of the fumbled pitches the pitch man was due South of the QB. There is no reason from what anybody on the defense was doing for him to be in that position. If you watch the @Longestday review of the offense it isn't too hard to tell when an offensive player is just beaten and when he just flat out does the wrong thing.

There are even execution things that can be highlighted about the defense. In the @Ibeeballin review of the Louisville game there is a play in which the linebacker that should shoot toward the gap slides sideways. He gets in the way of the linebacker who is supposed to slide sideways. A runner gets through the gap and one blocker is able to interrupt both linebackers because the "shoot" LB is already in the way of the "slide" LB.

For special teams, in the USF game, @Ibeeballin pointed out the issues with where the cover team was. The people that were supposed to stay back charged forward. That left only one level of coverage. When the returner got past the single layer of coverage it was easy at that point to score the TD. The cover team did that twice in a row.

Even if the LBs are in position a super player could beat them. In 1980 a Tennessee LB was in perfect position and lined up for a perfect form tackle when the mutt RB just flat out ran over him. Even if the kickoff cover team is on the correct level a super returner could beat both levels and score a TD. Even if an offensive lineman goes to the second level a super mike LB could get ahead of or around him and make a tackle. However, if the Tennessee LB had not even been there, the mutt RB would have been guaranteed a TD without having to make a super play. If the cover team collapses to one level, the make it easy for the returner to score a TD. If the linemen don't even attempt to block the mike LB, then he is guaranteed to make tackles for a loss.

It seems to me that your issue is with the word "execution". If they said "If everyone sticks to their assignment we have a chance to win", would you disagree with that? That is what I believe they are saying when they use the word execution.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Talking about falling apart. The defense has played well, and our offense cannot do anything but fumble the game away. Really tired of losing to Duke. Really really tired of it!
The people that can make a difference don’t care though