Execution

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
The thing that puzzles me about our seeming tendency to fade during adversity is this : Usually good teams , led by experienced players, will take on the characteristics of their head/assistant coach. CPJ and Woody appear to be tough as nails , with a strong determination to figure out a way to win. It's easy to have leadership when you are beating opponents badly. When we took the 2nd half KO and marched at will against Louisville , you could just see them cave. They weren't really prepared for our TO, though. At times in tough games against evenly matched opponents , we seem to be able to come back and even take a lead , but then can't finish with a long(er) game ending drive or a D stop. Looking /hoping for that this week. Can TQM take charge ? Can Anree make a critical sack to end a drive ? No CRITICAL fumbles by a senior ? We HAVE senior leadership. They need to step up !!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We scored TDs on 3 of 4 drives in first half against Duke last year. The one we didn't score was a tip drill interception of a screen pass.

Duke scored on every drive, 2TDs 2FGs, in the 1st half including TD drive starting with 1:40 left.

They then scored a TD to start 2nd half. We crapped the bed, and they scored again, up by 14.

Down by 2 scores in a game with only 4 drives each in 1st half, we tried to catch up and lengthen clock by passing. We didn't get it done, and they kept scoring.

So, it is not that they really shut us down doing what we do.
I disagree - slightly. Part of " doing what we do " MUST be having a viable passing threat at times, especially with our inexperienced ( but improving, IMO ) defense.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We scored our 1st TD vs Duke last year on a long pass, iirc.

I agree that doing what we do includes passing within the system. When we're forced to pass primarily, we are no longer doing what we do.
But later in the game, if we try going back to what worked in the 1st quarter, and they have adjusted- we got nuthin..... I am hoping to see a more confident TQM that can check into better plays at the line and keep drives going. He was probably not able to do that last year.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
What does "execution" mean? Within our Offense, I think it means:

- OL getting to the next level and making contact with their man
- OL being able to pull, run mid-line, belly series, etc.
- OL picking up the A gap blitz
- QB reading the D and getting us going with the right play in the right direction
- QB making good reads (enabled by good blocking in front of him)
- B backs blocking, running on the correct side of the quarterback and hitting the right hole
- Abacks and WR blocking downfield, and catching the ball when thrown
- The quarterback forcing the defender to commit and then pitching the dang ball
- Don't put the ball on the ground, don't get called for a 15 yard penalty or hold

We didn't do a lot of these things well against Alcorn. We did these things very well against Louisville. We won both games easily, but in my opinion there was a very big difference in "execution".

/

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
After this game when someone asks PJ what he thought about the team's execution, I hope that the team doesn't give him reason to say "I'm all for it". And that we all agree. :)

That said...Go Jackets. We need this one badly.
I believe it was John McKay at USCw and the quote was when asked what he thought about his team's execution said " I'm in favor of it ".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Computers and software are helping our regular opponents scout us making execution difficult.

They have learned to disguise their coverage making adjustments of on field blocking assignments .

In this last half of his 11 th season it's time for coach to show that "he can execute adjustments against good coaches" to give players better opportunities to execute on the field.

That his scheme is fine and only needs execution is no longer a fact to be accepted.

I like the new ol style and have high hopes for being victorious against the middle of the pack ACC.

This scheme against the top acc and
Uga is looking like "the charge of the light brigade"
Coach says we’re not doing anything different on the OL.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

- QB reading the D and getting us going with the right play in the right direction
- B backs blocking, running on the correct side of the quarterback and hitting the right hole
- The quarterback forcing the defender to commit and then pitching the dang ball
- Don't put the ball on the ground, don't get called for a 15 yard penalty or hold

We didn't do a lot of these things well against Alcorn. We did these things very well against Louisville. We won both games easily, but in my opinion there was a very big difference in "execution".

/
Some of those things are knowledge based. Knowing what to do and where to go at what time and with what spacing. However, many of the other things you mentioned require you to overcome your matched up opponent. Making blocks ( getting off blocks for our defensive players) for example, are much harder to do against guys who are bigger,faster, stronger and/or quicker than you are. Making the correct pre-snap reads are much harder against teams that are well-versed against our offense and moving around pre-snap like Clemson. Heck, our timing and spacing, things that are required for optimal flow of the offense, can be easily disrupted by a penetrating defense.

As I said earlier, our offense will go as our offensive line goes. If we can move the line of scrimmage forward instead of backward we will win this game. That is the direction it was going the last two games, not so much for the ones prior.

PS. Giving up 14 points on kick off returns is a dealbreaker.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

/
Would add, hitting the wide open pass in stride when we have it!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
We faced “a bit” of adversity against l’ville And overcame it. Having thing cut a 3 TD lead to 10, and then having them go down the field in us just b4 the end of the half felt like adversity to me. Maybe not the level of gut wrenching - in the trenches - adversity we will face in the upcoming schedule but we certainly had the opportunity to fold and didn’t. Strength of the opponent notwithstanding I am hoping we have built a little confidence in the last two weeks and not have some “good” past experiences to pull from when things get tough going forward. We will see soon enough. This team is more talented than last years team overall. We have a better defensive scheme. The OL is much better/deeper/healthier. Hopefully all we need is a healthy does of confidence.

GO JACKETS

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Coach says we’re not doing anything different on the OL.

I think CPJ can give that answer or he can give the recent one he gave about injuries/who is going to start: " there is no advantage to us to give that info to the opposition". IMO we are doing much more downfield shielding off rather that attempting to cut. The runners are cutting off the blocker's tail as the blocker turns 90 degrees and does a block not unlike pass protection. You can see this with several plays during the last game. I think this is an outcome of the new 5 yard no cut rule. I do not see any change in the pre-snap spacing between the OLinemen.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hope we're ready to execute a passing game if need be against Duke. We ran hog wild over Louisville and didn't need to throw, but Army only got 160 yards on the ground (half their usual number) against Duke while throwing 21 passes for 197. They usually throw about 6 passes a game. Also, I think Duke is missing their starting CB and a starting linebacker got hurt Wednesday and won't play. Meanwhile, two of their D-linemen are back.