Execution

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m about done hearing our players, coaches and fans say:

1. “It’s all about us not the other team.”
2. “We just need to execute.”
3. “If we don’t turn it over, make stupid penalties or miss assignments, we got a chance.”

WE DON’T OPERATE IN A VACUUM!

Of course the quality of the opposition matters greatly. All those things listed above are way easier against lesser opponents. So it’s not just about us. Expect us to struggle against better defenses. It’s ok. It doesn’t mean the last two weeks were a fraud.

That said, we need to hold our own. We need to show we won’t completely fall apart when the opposition wins a play or 3. I wanna see some mental toughness. I wanna see us respond to adversity with a doubling of our effort, resolve and focus. When things go south, and it’s bound to happen at some point Saturday, how are we gonna respond?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’m about done hearing our players, coaches and fans say:

1. “It’s all about us not the other team.”
2. “We just need to execute.”
3. “If we don’t turn it over, make stupid penalties or miss assignments, we got a chance.”

WE DON’T OPERATE IN A VACUUM!

Of course the quality of the opposition matters greatly. All those things listed above are way easier against lesser opponents. So it’s not just about us. Expect us to struggle against better defenses. It’s ok. It doesn’t mean the last two weeks were a fraud.

That said, we need to hold our own. We need to show we won’t completely fall apart when the opposition wins a play or 3. I wanna see some mental toughness. I wanna see us respond to adversity with a doubling of our effort, resolve and focus. When things go south, and it’s bound to happen at some point Saturday, how are we gonna respond?

I think you are reading too much into those statements. I don't think anyone was trying to say that if GT executes well that Alabama would be an easy win. It is more that the GT players need to concentrate on doing what they are supposed to do. If they play half-hard against lower competition it won't help them against better competition. They should attempt to do what they are supposed to do regardless of whether the opponent is good or not. With the offense, of course if the defensive players are better, they will beat some blocks even if every assignment is played correctly. If GT executes well, then they will have a chance against good opponents, even factory opponents. If they don't execute well, then they don't even have a chance.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If GT executes well, then they will have a chance against good opponents, even factory opponents. If they don't execute well, then they don't even have a chance.
This is exactly what frustrates me. Execution depends on the matchup just as much as knowing where to go and what to do. Therefore, the tougher the matchup the lesser the execution. It’s almost a given.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I mostly agree cheese. But if we played “clean” on O vs USF and Pitt we are probably a one loss team right now.

Conversely, a couple of (maybe 3) turnovers vs L’ville and maybe we don’t get that W after all.

The opponent certainly matters. The better they are the more perfect we have to be. I’m with you in hoping our guys aren’t feeling like they can just roll their helmets on the field and score on every possession this week. That ain’t gonna happen vs Duke. And it’s why our D needs to play their best game yet.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke has a 30 power ranking and we have a 55.

We have to win the turnover battle to win. Overall, we aren't bigger, stronger and faster than Duke; probably about the same.

So I agree that whoever "executes" better will win. At least we are at home where we usually play better.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly what frustrates me. Execution depends on the matchup just as much as knowing where to go and what to do. Therefore, the tougher the matchup the lesser the execution. It’s almost a given.

Fwiw, I think CPJ uses "Execution" differently. In the same interviews, he concedes Clemson just beat us some.

The point is that our scheme depends less on winning individual battles than others, but it's not removed entirely. So, Navy can beat ND some years when they execute well as a team but not every year, especially when they lose too many ind battles.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

What the coach is saying is that they need to keep to their assignments and not put the ball on the ground. Even if every blocker sticks to his assignment against Clemson, many of the blocks will be beaten. GT can have zero missed assignments against Clemson and still lose the game. If they miss many assignments and put the ball on the ground 6 or 8 times, they will definitely lose the game.

Execution depends on if you are talking about "execution of the system" or individual execution of blocks. I take it as execution of the system. If a player goes to the right place and attempts to block the correct person, he is executing the system. If the person he is supposed to block is twice as big, twice as fast, and twice as strong then he probably won't effectively block him. However, if he is in the right place at the right time and at the right person, then he is executing the system. I believe that is what the statements are about. The GT offense needs to operate the system correctly. If they do not operate the system correctly, they will not have any chance against a factory type defense. Even if they do operate the system correctly it is possible for a factory type defense to beat them. But there is nothing for the offensive players to do differently if the defensive players are better. They need to operate(execute) the system.

Agreed and that's when Sr. Leadership needs to take over. Think JT vs Duke 2016 or vs Southern 2014, etc.

Someone needs to step up and take charge.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I think CPJ uses "Execution" differently. In the same interviews, he concedes Clemson just beat us some.

The point is that our scheme depends less on winning individual battles than others, but it's not removed entirely. So, Navy can beat ND some years when they execute well as a team but not every year, especially when they lose too many ind battles.
This is what I was going to reply with. I haven't heard CPJ say "had we executed better we'd have beaten Clemson." He clearly has stated, however, that they whipped us.

I think when CPJ says “We just need to execute.” he's just saying we need to take care of the things we can control. We can of course plays to the best of our abilities and still lose, but I don't think that is something CPJ is concerned with.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's not forget the special teams debacle...executing or lack thereof of cost us the USF game... maddening

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Computers and software are helping our regular opponents scout us making execution difficult.

They have learned to disguise their coverage making adjustments of on field blocking assignments .

In this last half of his 11 th season it's time for coach to show that "he can execute adjustments against good coaches" to give players better opportunities to execute on the field.

That his scheme is fine and only needs execution is no longer a fact to be accepted.

I like the new ol style and have high hopes for being victorious against the middle of the pack ACC.

This scheme against the top acc and
Uga is looking like "the charge of the light brigade"

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I want to see us "execute" against an aggressive, attacking defense. I think we execute best against a team that kind of sits back and waits for us. The teams that throw blitzes and split gaps are the ones that we seem to struggle with.

I totally agree that sometimes, even with execution, there may be a player that "over-matches" us just with talent alone, and in that case, execution will not suffice.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Computers and software are helping our regular opponents scout us making execution difficult.

They have learned to disguise their coverage making adjustments of on field blocking assignments .

In this last half of his 11 th season it's time for coach to show that "he can execute adjustments against good coaches" to give players better opportunities to execute on the field.

That his scheme is fine and only needs execution is no longer a fact to be accepted.

I like the new ol style and have high hopes for being victorious against the middle of the pack ACC.

This scheme against the top acc and
Uga is looking like "the charge of the light brigade"
I agree there have been improvements on scouting against our offense. We like to think playing against us is still a nightmare. It is very difficult for teams like Louisville with no experience and a short week. I think it takes more time than other teams to prepare for us, but hardly a nightmare. IMO , they "let " us eat the clock until we get in the red zone and then they change it up and make it much more difficult to figure out their D, resulting in no/less TDs or a ( missed ? ) FG. So they use the TOP against us , especially when they can use their TOP to score. CPJ knows that other teams will know the plays that are coming at times, but we must not only execute the play by going to the right place , but we must win the individual battles by each player more often.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I want to see us "execute" against an aggressive, attacking defense. I think we execute best against a team that kind of sits back and waits for us. The teams that throw blitzes and split gaps are the ones that we seem to struggle with.

I totally agree that sometimes, even with execution, there may be a player that "over-matches" us just with talent alone, and in that case, execution will not suffice.
Exactly ... the guard gets to the LB and must block him , but the LB sheds the block quickly and stops the play for little or no gain. 11 individual battles each play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We scored TDs on 3 of 4 drives in first half against Duke last year. The one we didn't score was a tip drill interception of a screen pass.

Duke scored on every drive, 2TDs 2FGs, in the 1st half including TD drive starting with 1:40 left.

They then scored a TD to start 2nd half. We crapped the bed, and they scored again, up by 14.

Down by 2 scores in a game with only 4 drives each in 1st half, we tried to catch up and lengthen clock by passing. We didn't get it done, and they kept scoring.

So, it is not that they really shut us down doing what we do.