Execution

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I blame everyone. The defense had the chance to stop them from scoring after those turnovers, didn’t they?

This team is bad. All around bad. Offense, defense, and special teams. It is what it is man. We will be lucky to get one more win.

The sad news is we know what many of our problems are and we are not fixing them. Such as:
No passing game by anybody anytime anywhere
Can't get enough third down stops even on 3rd and 12
DBs can't cover the short passes and yet we let receivers continually get behind us
We can't return a KO
We can't cover a KO
WE can't stop fumbling
We do not seem to be ready to play when the game starts
WE forgot how to get one yard when we need it
Bad tackling
Gramism calls from the sidelines including those involving STs
Not building any AB depth for 2019
OLine merry-go-round
LB play
Too late D calls from the sideline
Late D substitutions with confusion abundance
Slow walking during hurry up O
Mental mistake penalties
WE too often seem unable to rise to the occasion to make a play when we really need it on O or D

These things are driving me nuts and I think we managed to touch all of them this week against Duke. There are some positives: Long snapping and punting and punt catching and some good blocking and running sometimes. Also we ado not quit and our players are playing hard (just not executing). What is really concerning about our leadership is we just starting playing C Thomas a significant amount on D and he looks like the best player we have except for ASA.

RiseUpATL

Banned
I am reminded of the need for perfection of ONE PLAY ... and of course ... Lombardi:

"For a decade, Vince Lombardi's Power Sweep dominated pro football. It used minimum deception and maximum effort, "four yards and a cloud of dust," perfect for Green Bay's ball-control offense. The power sweep was pure Lombardi: fundamental; few frills; teamwork.

Lombardi told his team: "Gentlemen, if we can make this play work, we can run the football." The Green Bay Packers did make it work, through constant drill and practice.

Lombardi.jpg
"You think there's anything special about this sweep? Well, there isn't. It's as basic a play as there can be in football. We simply do it over and over and over.There can never be enough emphasis on repetition. I want my players to be able to run this sweep in their sleep. If we call the sweep twenty times, I'll expect it to work twenty times...not eighteen, not nineteen."

That is the kind of discipline we don't have. IMHO.

Great post! And couldn’t agree more. We just aren’t playing sound football. Paul Johnson can not make the money appear out of thin air, but what he can do is control practice and ensure the football being played is sound. It might not be the most exciting football in the land but by golly we take care of the football, we don’t get penalized often and we get after it on defense and special teams. That’s what his job is. It’s not to worry about the haves and have-nots.

If OL are confused on line calls, then take that power from them and call basic plays that work and have been repped to death in practice. That’s the only reason we beat VT in 2016 with Jordan because PJ was forced to call a simple game but it worked because the design was simple. We played an extremely clean game that night.

Cut out the loyalty to QBs and play the one that gives you the best chance to win. PJ hamstrings himself in the coaching department lately. The amount of fumbles, penalties and miscommunication are a direct result of it. Our team lacks toughness. Can’t finish the drill.

Another indoor practice facility and a nicer office for PJ ain’t gonna fix that.

Like Bradley mentioned in his article. Within the last 5 years GT has gotten new locker rooms and a great indoor practice facility. That’s more than UGA has done in terms of facilities. Quit focusing on the fact that that kid over there has more candy in his pumpkin and focus making what we have at GT right now the best it can be. That’s my problem. GT isn’t devoid. They aren’t being maximized by the coaches.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Great post! And couldn’t agree more. We just aren’t playing sound football. Paul Johnson can not make the money appear out of thin air, but what he can do is control practice and ensure the football being played is sound. It might not be the most exciting football in the land but by golly we take care of the football, we don’t get penalized often and we get after it on defense and special teams. That’s what his job is. It’s not to worry about the haves and have-nots.

If OL are confused on line calls, then take that power from them and call basic plays that work and have been repped to death in practice. That’s the only reason we beat VT in 2016 with Jordan because PJ was forced to call a simple game but it worked because the design was simple. We played an extremely clean game that night.

Cut out the loyalty to QBs and play the one that gives you the best chance to win. PJ hamstrings himself in the coaching department lately. The amount of fumbles, penalties and miscommunication are a direct result of it. Our team lacks toughness. Can’t finish the drill.

Another indoor practice facility and a nicer office for PJ ain’t gonna fix that.

Like Bradley mentioned in his article. Within the last 5 years GT has gotten new locker rooms and a great indoor practice facility. That’s more than UGA has done in terms of facilities. Quit focusing on the fact that that kid over there has more candy in his pumpkin and focus making what we have at GT right now the best it can be. That’s my problem. GT isn’t devoid. They aren’t being maximized by the coaches.

The only thing that really ever hamstrings Paul’s O is lacking a QB that can pass well enough when needed.

Duke week we repped the hell out of base plays focused to counter what we knew Duke would do. A large portion of breakdowns came from two players imo.

One because of youth, inexperience, and MAYBE a lack of want to when blocking. This was a hard fix without having Camp or the proper quality of depth at WR.

The other....I dont know how or why that didn’t get fixed better or faster. That’s on CPJ from beginning to end. He has 2 weeks to fix the OL....there should be no problems for us out of that group. Maybe should expect a hiccup or 2 out of Hanson...he’s still young. But the rest of the OL is veteran enough to play sound ball.

As for unforced fumbles....that’s on the players. A couple came from the mesh and I place the blame there primarily on our veteran qB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that really ever hamstrings Paul’s O is lacking a QB that can pass well enough when needed.

Duke week we repped the hell out of base plays focused to counter what we knew Duke would do. A large portion of breakdowns came from two players imo.

One because of youth, inexperience, and MAYBE a lack of want to when blocking. This was a hard fix without having Camp or the proper quality of depth at WR.

The other....I dont know how or why that didn’t get fixed better or faster. That’s on CPJ from beginning to end. He has 2 weeks to fix the OL....there should be no problems for us out of that group. Maybe should expect a hiccup or 2 out of Hanson...he’s still young. But the rest of the OL is veteran enough to play sound ball.

As for unforced fumbles....that’s on the players. A couple came from the mesh and I place the blame there primarily on our veteran qB.
Now the vets are practicing or even sharing time w 2 deep. They know the plays so maybe this extra time will help young guys.

In a spiral down on ol we start young guys.
I for one see the push to let ol redshirt fresh, soph, and walk ons start as weird.

The acc coastal teams have figured out the easy things and are making the reads more complicated. To ask a soph rg to make those calls is... ?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

The resources CPJ harps on are the human kind not facilities. Specifically, he’s referring to recruiting staff. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have the smallest recruiting staff on the conference.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The sad news is we know what many of our problems are and we are not fixing them. Such as:
DBs can't cover the short passes and yet we let receivers continually get behind us
We can't return a KO
We can't cover a KO
WE can't stop fumbling
Bad tackling
OLine merry-go-round
LB play
Mental mistake penalties
WE too often seem unable to rise to the occasion to make a play when we really need it on O or D

These things are driving me nuts and I think we managed to touch all of them this week against Duke. There are some positives: Long snapping and punting and punt catching and some good blocking and running sometimes. Also we ado not quit and our players are playing hard (just not executing). What is really concerning about our leadership is we just starting playing C Thomas a significant amount on D and he looks like the best player we have except for ASA.

That about sums it up...

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
We can't return a KO
We can't cover a KO
WE can't stop fumbling
Bad tackling
OLine merry-go-round
LB play
Mental mistake penalties

This really puts it all in perspective. We are definitely overachieving this year. We should be 0-7, but we're actually 3-4.