ESPN: Georgia Tech restoring football program to former glory

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
So making stuff up to make yourself look good is okay in your book. :rolleyes:
Keep drinking the koolaid.

What are you even talking about. The guy is selling the program. We’re starting over with a whole new staff/offense/image. The koolaid analogy doesn’t even fit.

I’m a staunch defender of CPJ. And CGC has been noticeably respectful of the previous era. But if you’re not gonna let the guy sell the program then what the hell are we even doing here?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What are you even talking about. The guy is selling the program. We’re starting over with a whole new staff/offense/image. The koolaid analogy doesn’t even fit.

I’m a staunch defender of CPJ. And CGC has been noticeably respectful of the previous era. But if you’re not gonna let the guy sell the program then what the hell are we even doing here?

I'm a staunch CPJ supporter as well but I see what CGC is doing and I appreciate it. It's necessary.

Simply recognizing the need to sell the program/rebuild is not "kool-aid drinking" and anyone who thinks it is just wants to complain about something. Lookin' at you @Animal02 ;)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
When he was growing up.........Top ten every year? News Years Day Bowl game, Competing for ACC championships?

Let's see....he was born in 1971, so from then until he was 21, Tech was in the Top 10 in 1990 and as preseason #8 in 1991. Played in ONE News Years Day Bowl Game.

I somewhat heard that to mean, when he was growing up that was his recollections from those telling him about GT.

But I like the vision.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Just a bunch of koolaid drinkers.
CGC can do no wrong in their eyes........might has well award Tech the NC right now. :rolleyes:
There it is. Trashing people that are excited about the direction of the program. You must be related to CPJ to think his time here was so good, but we have nothing to show for it. No one outside of GT has cared about our Orange Bowl win since the day we won the Orange Bowl. It's a consolation prize that says "you were good, but not good enough" and in the immortal words of Ricky Bobby "If you ain't first, you're last." There's a reason we tell uGA fans "1990" and "4>2". National Championships are what actually matter. CGC witnessed us achieve that and wants to get us back to that level. I would happily accept 10 winless seasons of GT football to witness us win a national championship. I was born in 1990 so I don't remember the last one, and sometimes I fear I will never actually get to see the team I love more than anything hoist the thing that actually matters.

bishopbee

Jolly Good Fellow
Just a bunch of koolaid drinkers.
CGC can do no wrong in their
7595b906a311af46e97096438d2f3604.jpg
eyes........might has well award Tech the NC right now. :rolleyes:

Animal02

Banned
I'm a staunch CPJ supporter as well but I see what CGC is doing and I appreciate it. It's necessary.

Simply recognizing the need to sell the program/rebuild is not "kool-aid drinking" and anyone who thinks it is just wants to complain about something. Lookin' at you @Animal02 ;)
The kool aid drinking is the posters that believe CGC can do no wrong..........that making up stuff is OK if it "sells the program"
There is a vast difference between hyping the program....wanting to improve it and fabricating false narratives.
It is comical that the koolaid drinkers here think the "Glory days" were one NC, one New Years game and an overall record of 113 -107- 7
Guess you are really setting the bar low.

Animal02

Banned
I somewhat heard that to mean, when he was growing up that was his recollections from those telling him about GT.

But I like the vision.
I listed to it several times trying to figure out if he was trying to say something different but didn't get that out of it.
If that was the case, it would have been far simpler to mention the Dodd era.

And I will add.....your comment is a reasonable response........unlike the kool -aid drinkers completely expected response.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The kool aid drinking is the posters that believe CGC can do no wrong..........that making up stuff is OK if it "sells the program"
There is a vast difference between hyping the program....wanting to improve it and fabricating false narratives.
It is comical that the koolaid drinkers here think the "Glory days" were one NC, one New Years game and an overall record of 113 -107- 7
Guess you are really setting the bar low.

Yeah ... you're just looking to complain, brolio. You think he should've gone on a diatribe about Heisman's years instead? How much time do you think they gave him? And, if you didn't think the years he mentioned were relevant, why would you think the 30's and 40's, or whatever period you preferred he mention, were relevant at all?

Listen to me, A02. I'm your friend. Just do like all the CPJ haters have done over the years. Wait on the sidelines. Then, as soon as anything goes wrong, chime in with your "I told you so's". :ROFLMAO:

Until then, just let us have a week a day a month a second of just "Go Jackets!" time. Deal?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So, I think you are missing the whole point of this. Per multiple recruits, before the new branding, they saw GT as having no excitement and no energy. We had no momentum. Since the peak of PJs success at GT, we have had the following:

1. Losing season and bowl streak snapped in 2015
2. Zero players drafted in 2017 and 2018 drafts
3. Losing season in 2017
4. Beat UGA in 2016
5. Not at all competitive against Clemson or UGA in the last two years

We had no momentum and 2 of the worst years record wise since Bill Lewis.

Collins has to change the message and he is doing everything he can. Whether you want to admit it or not, recruits did. It view the triple option as relevant. Always be recruiting. Recruits aren’t going to immediately hop online and fact check CGC. They see that on ESPN and they take as gospel and form their opinions. They see a Coach who is branding GT as on the rise. And he isn’t lying about GT being at a low. Record wise over the last 4 years it has been the lowest in decades. Recruiting was stagnant. We didn’t really have many prospects. Fan support low. See the UVA game last year. Absolutely no sidewalk fan presence.

Recruits and sidewalk fans don’t know our history and not do they care. They care about what’s happening right now and where we will be going forward. CGC’s messaging is spot on in getting their attention in that regard.

He isn’t a politician. I’m not here to call him a liar or fact check him. I am here to support him and GT football and the message he is sending is what the program needs. He doesn’t need to be standing up there and talking about how “great” GT was under PJ because that would be a lie too.
Nobody asked him to talk about how great GT was with Johnson. Believe me, we all know the records. But one must be careful before more claims are just dismissed as more rhetoric. We already have enough problems with alternate facts without a football coach chiming in. If he is going to compare eras, then get it right. It ain't that hard: he wants to quote the Dodd years as he apparently remembers from reading, because the years of his childhood were not very good. But let it go, he screwed up, so stop screwing up. . But to your point about not being competitive with Clemson the last two years: who has been? You're looking at NC contenders there. Georgia? A powerhouse the last two years. Now 2015 and 2017 probably greased the runway for Johnson and I wouldn't argue. And in terms of being competitive, I was more exercised about the Minnesota bowl debacle.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Back to drinking the koolaid comments!!! Amazing how negative some posters are!! Guess they are GT fans & not trollers, but rarely do they have anything positive to say about Collins! I guess Collins should say that we will be mediocre for the next 5 years, never achieving Paul Johnson’s success... We should also forfeit to Clemson, because we have no chance, so why get players hurt!?! Is that negative enough for some of you!?!
I bet that the negative posters are ready for Collins to be a failure so they can say”told you so!,,”
SAD!!!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Two things are extremely apparent about a certain subset of posters on this board

1) they have zero idea of how to sell or market.
2) they are bigger CPJ than Tech fans.

There is another group. This group

1) understands the need to relentlessly market GT right now (in a way that frankly, CPJ did not)
BUT
2) are cautious about assuming CGC will have more on-the-field success than CPJ until they see it, and don't enjoy the national media (and CGC at times) downplaying the success of the last regime.

This group thought CPJ was the perfect fit for GT, could've done more to endear himself to the general public, but appreciated the quality of football produced, and they are cautiously optimistic about the new direction under CGC. Basically there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Or... maybe it's just me.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for proving he was taking shots at CPJ.
Got it.
I don't see anything in that video as "taking shots at CPJ," he's just trying to change the national narrative about Georgia Tech football. He's not fabricating false narratives, I think you're just looking at the end of year rankings. Keep this in mind, he was at Georgia Tech from 1999-2001 and then again in 2006. Here are those years:

1999 - Ranked in the top 17 all season long, ranked in the top 10 for 7/12 weeks.
2000 - In the last 4 weeks GT climbed from ranked 24th to finishing ranked 15th.
2001 - Ranked all but 3 weeks, was ranked 10th, 11th, 10th, and 9th for the first 4 weeks.
2006 - Ranked 9/13 weeks, hit a high of 13th.

In his personal experiences as a Georgia Tech staff member, he's seen Georgia Tech ranked in the top 25 for 35 out of 41 weeks (~25% of those were in the top 10). It's actually kind of remarkable that he was around during a lot of our best seasons in the last 40 years. That's not counting any other time growing up when he probably fondly remembers GT being a top ranked team (1990-1992). And Paul Johnson had a lot of undeniably great seasons and was ranked at least one week in 6 of his first 8 seasons. Though as a big CPJ supporter, one of the biggest surprises for me this offseason was when someone reported the stat that GT has not been ranked in the top 25 since week 4 of the 2015 season. The national perception of GT has been low the last 4 seasons and I don't think it's wrong for Collins to juxtapose those seasons next to his experiences as a GT coach. He may be stretching the truth a bit to sell the program, but he's not really incorrect.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i dunno about yuse guys but... im a buckeye fan too so i have a basis for comparison. gt has been snake bit as a program imo. and or the ncaa has taken a dislike to gt for some reason.

the good news is i just have a fn feeling that this season is going to turn out to be a great season. not good but great. after all the bad luck we have had... karma is on our side. we are on an up tick.

i do think gt is a sleeping giant. And we finally have the best fit coach for gt. he is doing a great job as ceo and as a coach. im really impressed so far.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nobody asked him to talk about how great GT was with Johnson. Believe me, we all know the records. But one must be careful before more claims are just dismissed as more rhetoric. We already have enough problems with alternate facts without a football coach chiming in. If he is going to compare eras, then get it right. It ain't that hard: he wants to quote the Dodd years as he apparently remembers from reading, because the years of his childhood were not very good. But let it go, he screwed up, so stop screwing up. . But to your point about not being competitive with Clemson the last two years: who has been? You're looking at NC contenders there. Georgia? A powerhouse the last two years. Now 2015 and 2017 probably greased the runway for Johnson and I wouldn't argue. And in terms of being competitive, I was more exercised about the Minnesota bowl debacle.
In a post talking about accurate history the statement about "not being competitive w clemson" is classic disinformation.
We are way beyond not competitive.
We are their Alcorn who is beaten like a drum for 3 quarters then let us run out the clock while getting above 10 points.

The average end 3rd quarter score for last 2 years is about 35 to 5 and then we win 4th. Pitifully bad it the truth.

Then this last season we played in bowl game w nothing but pride on the line. Again pitifully bad.

The players and ex coaches won't go public but the sewak thing ended pitifully bad. If public it would be a stain.

If this guy cgc can't coach in games , we will have to hire him help. Lets Roll