ESPN: Georgia Tech restoring football program to former glory

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It’s branding man. How many people are going back to fact check that kind of statement. He’s selling the image of Tech being a sleeping giant about to dominate. More power to him.

What’s to fact check? It was a Trumpian overstatement. Anyone who knows even a little about Tech over the past 40 years knows that.

If he had said former glory and left it at that there wouldn’t be much to pick at. Can he get us where he wants us? It’s possible. If he does he will be ranked along with Dabo and Saban, and Heisman and Dodd for that matter. And then Tech will have to try and keep him.

Toe meets leather soon. His legacy will be pretty well established in the next 4 years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Man I can’t wait for Thursday. We’re going to put up a much better fight than most people think on here. You think we’re a hype machine now, just wait until Friday morning.

That’s my prediction. We’ve got a talented OL, good selection of QBs, that newfangled TE position, WRs that don’t have to block any more, etc. On D, we’ve got coaches that know how to utilize talent. Special teams is a bigger threat than last year.

In summary, you got better-better-better. How can it not be better?

If Braun has stayed a sb Connor Hanson was healthy....and if Clayton had been granted a waiver and big Brandon Adams was still with us I’d probably share your high hopes.

I think we have some great skill guys that will give some teams fits. And with a bit of luck in a game or 2 we could really surprise some.

But our line of scrimmage on both sides looks very shaky compared to the better teams out there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lord knows I hope Collins is successful, but hoo boy, it’s easy to be optimistic when you haven’t been hit.

He could do a lot better than saying he needs to rebuild the culture. And if he’s going to go down that road, he really should elaborate.
Cpj once said concerning a Syracuse coach getting replaced - If the fans think they can get a top program by changing the coach without changing the underlying problem, they will soon be disappointed. Gt scrach head and assume he is not taliking to them. (Cpj got little $ help - the guy was exhausted.)

Cgc says we need to change the culture and the same fans think he is talking about the players.

They both say in order win consistently, the fans need a culture change.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I can't like that statement enough times. It's just not the school, players, athletic department, and coaches....but FANS also need a culture change. I think we're seeing it first hand as some fans are fighting tooth and nail about anything and everything that isn't the same anymore. Some of our fans are resisting the expectations to be elite. Some fans are resisting the change in updating our unis. Some fans are resisting the change in the message our coaches are trying to convey. It's every aspect our program is trying to change, and some of our fans just throw shade.

It's exhausting sometimes because you hope ALL GT fans want what's best for GT.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is a Top 5 coach at Tech all time still, but there’s no reason to hold him to the goat status some of you do.
What people forget -
Paul Johnson beat VT and Miami in the same season only twice in his 11 years here.
Paul Johnson went 0-6 VS Miami and VT from 2010-2013.
In his last 5 seasons, CPJ beat Duke 1 time.
Paul Johnson lost to Air Force, Middle Tennessee St and Kansas.
Two Orange bowls, and Two Seasons with no Bowl.
Best Season he ever had was followed with his worst. (It’s Almost like the players we had in 2014 were important not just the coaching job he did. )
Lost to the worst Georgia team he ever played but won an ACC title that year.
All his great accomplishments can be leveled out with his failures, which is why I think he’s a little overrated in some of your eyes. I have no hate for him, he’s the reason I’m this big of a Tech fan, but I think it’s time for some of YALL to stop drinking the CPJ Kool Aid and remember everything about him not just him beating Georgia.

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ is a Top 5 coach at Tech all time still, but there’s no reason to hold him to the goat status some of you do.
What people forget -
Paul Johnson beat VT and Miami in the same season only twice in his 11 years here.
Best Season he ever had was followed with his worst. (It’s Almost like the players we had in 2014 were important not just the coaching job he did. )
All his great accomplishments can be leveled out with his failures, which is why I think he’s a little overrated in some of your eyes. I have no hate for him, he’s the reason I’m this big of a Tech fan, but I think it’s time for some of YALL to stop drinking the CPJ Kool Aid and remember everything about him not just him beating Georgia.

Some truth in here...good post.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I can't like that statement enough times. It's just not the school, players, athletic department, and coaches....but FANS also need a culture change. I think we're seeing it first hand as some fans are fighting tooth and nail about anything and everything that isn't the same anymore. Some of our fans are resisting the expectations to be elite. Some fans are resisting the change in updating our unis. Some fans are resisting the change in the message our coaches are trying to convey. It's every aspect our program is trying to change, and some of our fans just throw shade.

Cgc was posting tweets early this year with a lot of stuff about 404 etc IT WAS TO THE CURRENT AND FUTURE RECRIUTS,,, BUT SOME FANS THOUGHT it was aimed at them and they called it hype. If they dont understand , the defsult to the worst.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What people forget -

Paul Johnson did all that by himself?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

And some fans are seeing that not much has changed yet foundationally. Small incremental improvements aren’t going to help the current coach reach his potential either.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Cpj once said concerning a Syracuse coach getting replaced - If the fans think they can get a top program by changing the coach without changing the underlying problem, they will soon be disappointed. Gt scrach head and assume he is not taliking to them. (Cpj got little $ help - the guy was exhausted.)

Cgc says we need to change the culture and the same fans think he is talking about the players.

Excellent post!!! I don't think many people understand this. Us guys who really loved the option and enjoyed having cpj as coach are not boo hooing CGC when we defend CPJ when posts like this are made (referring to OP). This is what we are talking about. Why the hell is it so hard for some people to get that you could have liked the old coach and feel optimistic about the new one at the same time. If CGC is successful, I will have the same admiration for him that I had got CPJ. Time will tell, but damn you hit the nail on the head. Us fans is where the culture change needs to happen.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
As soon as I saw the headline I knew some losers on this board would crap all over it.

You know, why don't you just go someplace else with that crap? So you want to call other Tech fans losers because they have a different opinion than you? Be careful who you call losers, they just might call you out and put you in your place. Oh, that's right...this is the internet so you can pretend to be a big boy here. :rolleyes:
---
Great video and super pumped about the season and new direction. Despite having to roll my eyes at some Tech fans who need to grow up a bit.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Only 2 old guys that work alone and post a lot care that he doesn't speak like he is a boring Christian Apologist.

Its like they dont see cgc is relentless at driving process and relentless effort.

Why post gotcha look how moral/ smart i am posts ?

Imo, i think cgc by his actions and words wants to be consistent with the long goal to be "CONSISTENTLY VERY VERY GOOD (Dodd)".

Oh look. Another bigoted post. It must be a message board. How quaint.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There are going to be a small set of our "fans" very upset if Coach Collins is successful this year. :ROFLMAO:
This has been going on since 2002 when we hired Chan. Some hated his NFL approach & couldn’t wait for him to lose enough to get fired. CPJ came along & we flipped a switch. Another group of haters emerged, much more vocal than the last. Now we’re on to Coach #3. Frankly, I don’t see the hate but I don’t have a thin skin. I do see a lot of “I’ll wait & see”.

I’m in the I’m not a hype fan category. It doesn’t do anything for me. When I played albeit at a lower level, I didn’t jump around or talk smack so it doesn’t resonate with me. I just hit people as hard as a I could and tried to avoid being hit. If you’re not focused & thinking, you play worse. Just my opinion.

I understand why people like the hype & the fact it’s not appealing to me does not mean it’s not great for GT. It’s helping with the branding & generating excitement for the program. Good things. I remain cautiously optimistic it will work out for the best because the reality is bad GT football is bad for GT. Some people that have wished ill of our program the last 1-2 decades are insufferable. You all know who you are.