ESPN: Georgia Tech restoring football program to former glory

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I don't see anything in that video as "taking shots at CPJ," he's just trying to change the national narrative about Georgia Tech football. He's not fabricating false narratives, I think you're just looking at the end of year rankings. Keep this in mind, he was at Georgia Tech from 1999-2001 and then again in 2006. Here are those years:

1999 - Ranked in the top 17 all season long, ranked in the top 10 for 7/12 weeks.
2000 - In the last 4 weeks GT climbed from ranked 24th to finishing ranked 15th.
2001 - Ranked all but 3 weeks, was ranked 10th, 11th, 10th, and 9th for the first 4 weeks.
2006 - Ranked 9/13 weeks, hit a high of 13th.

In his personal experiences as a Georgia Tech staff member, he's seen Georgia Tech ranked in the top 25 for 35 out of 41 weeks (~25% of those were in the top 10). It's actually kind of remarkable that he was around during a lot of our best seasons in the last 40 years. That's not counting any other time growing up when he probably fondly remembers GT being a top ranked team (1990-1992). And Paul Johnson had a lot of undeniably great seasons and was ranked at least one week in 6 of his first 8 seasons. Though as a big CPJ supporter, one of the biggest surprises for me this offseason was when someone reported the stat that GT has not been ranked in the top 25 since week 4 of the 2015 season. The national perception of GT has been low the last 4 seasons and I don't think it's wrong for Collins to juxtapose those seasons next to his experiences as a GT coach. He may be stretching the truth a bit to sell the program, but he's not really incorrect.

Yep. As a big CPJ fan, I see nothing off/odd by what Collins said. Also as a big CPJ fan, the two things CGC said need to be fixed are things that CPJ wasn’t great at. Whether we like it or not, the TO was bad for our national perception. I say that as someone who loves the TO. CPJ’s biggest weakness, in my opinion, was his firm belief in results speaking for themselves. Follow American politics for one week and you’ll know that is, unfortunately, not the case. He should have sold the TO better. Or hired someone to brand it in a way that could come off cool...or at least tried.

I’m too young to remember ‘90, so CPJ gave me some of my fondest memories as a Tech fan. I’ll always be his fan, but I’m a bigger Tech fan and I hope CGC ends up being an even better coach.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I listed to it several times trying to figure out if he was trying to say something different but didn't get that out of it.
If that was the case, it would have been far simpler to mention the Dodd era.

And I will add.....your comment is a reasonable response........unlike the kool -aid drinkers completely expected response.

for arguments sake we admit your right. whats the next step in your plan? should we have cgc fired? fined? publicly ridiculed???? make him sleep with the dwags? what?

its hype a2. its like the beloved mohammed ali calling himself the greatest. its not often that we get a moment like this.

marquee game of week 1 against the national champion on their field in front of 80,000+ fans on a national stage... kicking off the start of a brand new network. the accnetwork. with a new coach. a new staff. a different offense. a different defense. and a team going through a complete make over.

one can either 'nit pick' and gripe or

ONE CAN SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE MOMENT.

i chose the latter. ;)

LibertyTurns

Banned
Man I can’t wait for Thursday. We’re going to put up a much better fight than most people think on here. You think we’re a hype machine now, just wait until Friday morning.

That’s my prediction. We’ve got a talented OL, good selection of QBs, that newfangled TE position, WRs that don’t have to block any more, etc. On D, we’ve got coaches that know how to utilize talent. Special teams is a bigger threat than last year.

In summary, you got better-better-better. How can it not be better?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s my prediction. We’ve got a talented OL, good selection of QBs, that newfangled TE position, WRs that don’t have to block any more, etc. On D, we’ve got coaches that know how to utilize talent. Special teams is a bigger threat than last year.

So simply having a TE will make us better? Also, if our WRs don't block, we won't do anything in the run game. I'll give you the D coaches argument. ST remains to be seen although we've got the same playmakers there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Now, no teasing. Seriously. That is one of the things on par with "If you only knew the truth ..." So let's hear it.
U post half truths , then i call u out, then u change the subject.

Then expect me to post text messages given in confidence after yesr of relatioship building.

I get it you feel free to infer i am a liar.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Just the "facts" as I see them -fot what it is worth - from drinking koolaide - or drano.

- if CPJ had not retired the level of disinterest in our program would have gone off the charts. Same sewak, same CPJ pressers, same lack of ticket sales, same or worse record as last year

- AI2020 would have been impossible to raise money for.

- lose 5 of last 6 to puke?

- Recruiting same if not worse

None of us know what the record will be this year. But I do think we know we are raising more $, recruiting better, getting better media coverage, are better using the talent we have.

So that koolaide is refreshing to me.

I am thankful I have the chance to watch my team for the 59th straight year.

TML baby!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
U post half truths , then i call u out, then u change the subject.

Then expect me to post text messages given in confidence after yesr of relatioship building.

I get it you feel free to infer i am a liar.
I implied no such thing. And please note my "half truths," though I do not believe there is such a thing. They either are or are not. (I consider the lesson I learned playing service baseball when as a boy recently out of high school I questioned a strike call: "That was pretty close, ump." No, he said: "There ain't no close. They either are or they ain't. Swing.") We obviously view things differently. If I take a communication "in confidence," then all of it remains "in confidence," though I may itch to spread it around. On the contrarian side if I am told something but it is not to be attributed, then okay. But I don't think characters ought to be assassinated because we don't like the character. You can tell me Sewak was a lousy O line coach and point to the results for your case. You shouldn't really imply some dark, sinister character flaw.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ya'll are focusing on some dumb sh!t.

This is what I got out of the video:

Malachi Carter is gonna be a BAD@SS WR for us.
James Graham is looking like a passer...and throws lazers.
Our players are looking long, lean, and physically more imposing.
Guys are having fun every second of practice. Saw a LOT of smiles as they were busting their butts.
Atlanta is awesome. Other cities can suck it.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
There is another group. This group

1) understands the need to relentlessly market GT right now (in a way that frankly, CPJ did not)
BUT
2) are cautious about assuming CGC will have more on-the-field success than CPJ until they see it, and don't enjoy the national media (and CGC at times) downplaying the success of the last regime.

This group thought CPJ was the perfect fit for GT, could've done more to endear himself to the general public, but appreciated the quality of football produced, and they are cautiously optimistic about the new direction under CGC. Basically there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Or... maybe it's just me.
No, it's NOT just you. I , and I venture to guess MANY others, feel exactly the same way.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Man I can’t wait for Thursday. We’re going to put up a much better fight than most people think on here. You think we’re a hype machine now, just wait until Friday morning.

I really like your optimism. We absolutely do have a shot at beating them in what would be a MONUMENTAL upset. IMO, as much as I would love that, I just cannot realistically think- with my head- that it will happen. Their QB and WRs will have way too much time to pick us apart -due to a sub par pass rush. Clemson will run well on our D, and if we load the box they will make us pay for that by passing. Our O may not see the field too much, and they will make us play mistake free - no penalties, dropped passes, missed blocks, etc.
I agree we will give them a fight, but I cannot see it being closer than say 17 points. I hope I am wrong.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I implied no such thing. And please note my "half truths," though I do not believe there is such a thing. They either are or are not. (I consider the lesson I learned playing service baseball when as a boy recently out of high school I questioned a strike call: "That was pretty close, ump." No, he said: "There ain't no close. They either are or they ain't. Swing.") We obviously view things differently. If I take a communication "in confidence," then all of it remains "in confidence," though I may itch to spread it around. On the contrarian side if I am told something but it is not to be attributed, then okay. But I don't think characters ought to be assassinated because we don't like the character. You can tell me Sewak was a lousy O line coach and point to the results for your case. You shouldn't really imply some dark, sinister character flaw.
Now u change subject and lecture.

Not the media to convince.

At least cheese PM me and i gave him some facts - which he said he appreciated.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wanna go on record as saying I don't mind a little truth stretching in the interest of selling the program. But....

The whole "player coach" model is still unproven at GT. Yes, it worked wonders at Clemson, but it failed miserably at FSU. I'm giving CGC the benefit of the doubt until our record can speak for itself.... and I'm not giving him a full pass on this season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wanna go on record as saying I don't mind a little truth stretching in the interest of selling the program. But....

The whole "player coach" model is still unproven at GT. Yes, it worked wonders at Clemson, but it failed miserably at FSU. I'm giving CGC the benefit of the doubt until our record can speak for itself.... and I'm not giving him a full pass on this season.

Don't you give him a full pass this season, but less next and maybe none in the third season? I do this year and hope to be wrong in that he does better.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Lord knows I hope Collins is successful, but hoo boy, it’s easy to be optimistic when you haven’t been hit.

He could do a lot better than saying he needs to rebuild the culture. And if he’s going to go down that road, he really should elaborate.