ESPN: Georgia Tech restoring football program to former glory

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech went to more New Years Day Bowl games than Tech did when CGC was "growing up" and was ranked in the top 10 the same number of times.
It doesn't pass the BS meter.

So, I think you are missing the whole point of this. Per multiple recruits, before the new branding, they saw GT as having no excitement and no energy. We had no momentum. Since the peak of PJs success at GT, we have had the following:

1. Losing season and bowl streak snapped in 2015
2. Zero players drafted in 2017 and 2018 drafts
3. Losing season in 2017
4. Beat UGA in 2016
5. Not at all competitive against Clemson or UGA in the last two years

We had no momentum and 2 of the worst years record wise since Bill Lewis.

Collins has to change the message and he is doing everything he can. Whether you want to admit it or not, recruits did. It view the triple option as relevant. Always be recruiting. Recruits aren’t going to immediately hop online and fact check CGC. They see that on ESPN and they take as gospel and form their opinions. They see a Coach who is branding GT as on the rise. And he isn’t lying about GT being at a low. Record wise over the last 4 years it has been the lowest in decades. Recruiting was stagnant. We didn’t really have many prospects. Fan support low. See the UVA game last year. Absolutely no sidewalk fan presence.

Recruits and sidewalk fans don’t know our history and not do they care. They care about what’s happening right now and where we will be going forward. CGC’s messaging is spot on in getting their attention in that regard.

He isn’t a politician. I’m not here to call him a liar or fact check him. I am here to support him and GT football and the message he is sending is what the program needs. He doesn’t need to be standing up there and talking about how “great” GT was under PJ because that would be a lie too.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
CGC certainly has installed the branding, marketing, and advertising infrastructure to attract wide public attention to Georgia Tech’s football program.

It all needs to be reinforced in reality by a lot of wins on the gridiron—and at a high level on a consistent annual basis.

I believe a minimum of five years is a realistic timeframe to determine whether CGC’s vision is achievable.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Got a problem with returning to former glory header. First let me say I'm happy with the change at HC but CPJ was a damn good coach and we weren't the f'ing doormat of the ACC while he was here. We won an orange bowl in 2014 for the first time in 60s years..... Hope the new regime can improve on the previous staff's successes and make us an annual top 25 team. Coach Collins definitely seems like the man for the job!

The header is correct IMHO. For me, former glory refers to the teams of Dodd & Alexander and Heisman.

CPJ, O'Leary and Gailey were all good but not as good.

image.png

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
When he was growing up.........Top ten every year? News Years Day Bowl game, Competing for ACC championships?

Let's see....he was born in 1971, so from then until he was 21, Tech was in the Top 10 in 1990 and as preseason #8 in 1991. Played in ONE News Years Day Bowl Game.
I didn't realize CGC was as old as he is... He looks about 10 years younger.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I loved PJ but he was out of energy and had placed a negative brand in the minds of all the 18 year olds needed to fuel this program. I have no problem with the moves made to change our program so far. Collins is the driver of this machine that has certainly attracted a lot of attention from all over. I see a strong up tic in our 2020 class but more importantly realize none of the transfers would have come here to play under Paul. We are certainly a work in progress but this perception thing is working. I have no problem with him reflecting on George O and B. Ross and concentrating on 1990 and the 3 in a row against the Dwags and Joe Ham making a run for the H. I have selective memory too. I fondly choose to only remember PJ playing Ga 3 TIMES!

Animal02

Banned
So, I think you are missing the whole point of this. Per multiple recruits, before the new branding, they saw GT as having no excitement and no energy. We had no momentum. Since the peak of PJs success at GT, we have had the following:

1. Losing season and bowl streak snapped in 2015
2. Zero players drafted in 2017 and 2018 drafts
3. Losing season in 2017
4. Beat UGA in 2016
5. Not at all competitive against Clemson or UGA in the last two years

We had no momentum and 2 of the worst years record wise since Bill Lewis.

Collins has to change the message and he is doing everything he can. Whether you want to admit it or not, recruits did. It view the triple option as relevant. Always be recruiting. Recruits aren’t going to immediately hop online and fact check CGC. They see that on ESPN and they take as gospel and form their opinions. They see a Coach who is branding GT as on the rise. And he isn’t lying about GT being at a low. Record wise over the last 4 years it has been the lowest in decades. Recruiting was stagnant. We didn’t really have many prospects. Fan support low. See the UVA game last year. Absolutely no sidewalk fan presence.

Recruits and sidewalk fans don’t know our history and not do they care. They care about what’s happening right now and where we will be going forward. CGC’s messaging is spot on in getting their attention in that regard.

He isn’t a politician. I’m not here to call him a liar or fact check him. I am here to support him and GT football and the message he is sending is what the program needs. He doesn’t need to be standing up there and talking about how “great” GT was under PJ because that would be a lie too.
Not missing the the point at all. He made a statement that was not even close to being correct.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
More positive-ish coverage ..

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/collin...complete-transformation-215023493--ncaaf.html

I agree this smells like sellin' combined with BSPN needing to hype their upcoming game or w/e but may as well enjoy it while it lasts.

.... or we can nitpick and turn on each other Lord of the Flies style, as usual.

The choice is yoursssss ... you can get with this, or you can get with that, you can get with ... this, or you can get with that. You can get with this, or you can get with that. I think you'll get with this ... 'cause this is where it's at.

90's rap break over. :cool:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Good video for us and first positive thing about us from ESPN in years. It's good to get some positive press after the complete stagnation we'd been dealing with previously. Heck, we might even get an ESPN Gameday on the Flats for the first time since the Gailey years. Either way, it's a better overall message for recruits than what we'd been trotting out the past few years.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
This is branding hype video for the program. What's he supposed to say?

"I'm from Atlanta, I love Atlanta. Okay, well, I'm actually from Conyers, but it still counts, right? Hashtag OTP. Anyway, when I was growing up, we were in the top 10 maybe once or twice. We've won the ACC, like, what? 3 times? Wait, sorry, 2009 was vacated. Let's say 2.5 times (laughs). We won a share of the national championship once, but it was largely a flash in the pan year. Couldn't be replicated today, our academic restrictions are way tougher now. We've been a pretty mediocre program overall the last 50 years and I sure hope I can be just a tad bit better than mediocre. Go Jackets!"

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Who cares? The point as multiple others have said, is messaging to fans and recruits that we can be better.
Only 2 old guys that work alone and post a lot care that he doesn't speak like he is a boring Christian Apologist.

Its like they dont see cgc is relentless at driving process and relentless effort.

Why post gotcha look how moral/ smart i am posts ?

Imo, i think cgc by his actions and words wants to be consistent with the long goal to be "CONSISTENTLY VERY VERY GOOD (Dodd)".

Animal02

Banned
This is branding hype video for the program. What's he supposed to say?

"I'm from Atlanta, I love Atlanta. Okay, well, I'm actually from Conyers, but it still counts, right? Hashtag OTP. Anyway, when I was growing up, we were in the top 10 maybe once or twice. We've won the ACC, like, what? 3 times? Wait, sorry, 2009 was vacated. Let's say 2.5 times (laughs). We won a share of the national championship once, but it was largely a flash in the pan year. Couldn't be replicated today, our academic restrictions are way tougher now. We've been a pretty mediocre program overall the last 50 years and I sure hope I can be just a tad bit better than mediocre. Go Jackets!"
Thanks for proving he was taking shots at CPJ.
Got it.