Dukes & Bell

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The media is vital towards, ding perception. He also ran a GT coach out of town.

No he didn't. He was simply talking as a GT coach was rightfully relieved of his duties. Shiiii, most of the folks here were simply talking as a GT coach was rightfully relieved of his duties. Does that mean we ran him out of town? Don't give that clown more credit than he deserves.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Mark Bradley’s opinion of the program. Ouch

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...gatech&utm_medium=social&utm_source=gatech_fb

“I know Ross won the UPI national championship in 1990. I know O’Leary shared an ACC title in 1998. I also know that together they had three seasons of nine-plus wins. Johnson has had four. Do I believe his program has suffered a downturn? Duh. Do I think he bleeds eight wins from this regular season, given that he’d have to go 7-1 from here? No. Do I feel Stansbury should begin to ponder alternatives? Yes.

But now to the heart of the matter: Do I believe the next Tech coach would fare better? Probably not. That’s not because I consider Johnson an untouchable. It’s because I doubt that Tech has the wherewithal to land a clear upgrade. For Georgia after Richt, there was a way up. Should Tech choose to part with Johnson, I’m not sure there is.”
This is what a number of us have been saying. Could a new coach move us back up from 5-7 to 7-5? Yeah, probably. Could he elevate us to national rankings? Nope. The university is simply not that interested in it to make it happen.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just ripped Paul Johnson and the GT program. I don’t think I’ve heard any straight up call out Paul Johnson to be fired. Well line in the sand was drawn.

To summarize
If GT fans want them to talk GT football then;
Become relevant.
Get rid of the junk service academy offense that half your fan base hates.
It’s been a decade of inconsistent football.
They want for GT to win. Make GT a winner and they’ll talk about GT.
Either change your philosophy or drop down a division.

Piss on em

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Here you go again. Nobody will ever take you seriously when you talk out of your butt like that.

rRANRE.gif

Oh,dear.

Not being taken seriously by some people that have an excuse for everything, that think winning 50% vs real comp is wonderful, that whine at every thing others " do to us" instead of fixing the problems, that care for one man more than the program.

I don't care if those accepting losing, 2nd class branding, having no legit radio coverage take me seriously or not.

They are the same people who would have no problem with ccg still being here if it meant an invite to a Donkey Balls Bowl in Venezuela.

Deleted member 2897

Oh,dear.

Not being taken seriously by some people that have an excuse for everything, that think winning 50% vs real comp is wonderful, that whine at every thing others " do to us" instead of fixing the problems, that care for one man more than the program.

I don't care if those accepting losing, 2nd class branding, having no legit radio coverage take me seriously or not.

They are the same people who would have no problem with ccg still being here if it meant an invite to a Donkey Balls Bowl in Venezuela.

You are world class at putting words into other people’s mouths. I never said any of those things.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the “God’s gift to sports radio” team of Dukes and Bell will find time to talk about the 1-3 Falcons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty ridiculous comments... CPJ has been coach of the year what, 4-7 times in his career? His offense that you hate so much put 63 on Bowling Green, 50 on South Florida... in years past its put 56 on NC State, 49 on Mississippi State, 56 on Pittsburgh, 68 on North Carolina, 56 on Virginia, 56 on Syracuse, etc..

The defense is the current problem, has nothing to do with the offense. The offense would be even more productive if the defense put them on the field more, created more turnovers, field position, etc.

People need to be very careful about this kind of thing... Don't make the Texas or Nebraska mistake, and many other programs have made it too. Nebraska fired a guy with a 75% win percentage and have been a total dumpster fire with like 8 different coaches since. They are 0-4 this year and are lucky they aren't 0-5 because another game got cancelled. They went out and hired the next big guy, Scott Frost, out of UCF.

Kentucky is an interesting model to look at. Stoops has been there 6 years... He gets an automatic one year contract extension any time he wins 7 games in a year. They are committing to football. They have recognized he is a good coach and are with him for the long haul apparently, and I will bet that pays off for them.

Georgia Tech has a great coach. Its not even disputable. The accomplishments speak for themselves. Stick with it..

On top of all that.. the talent on the team leads me to believe they are poised for BIG things in the next two years.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Pretty ridiculous comments... CPJ has been coach of the year what, 4-7 times in his career? His offense that you hate so much put 63 on Bowling Green, 50 on South Florida... in years past its put 56 on NC State, 49 on Mississippi State, 56 on Pittsburgh, 68 on North Carolina, 56 on Virginia, 56 on Syracuse, etc..

The defense is the current problem, has nothing to do with the offense. The offense would be even more productive if the defense put them on the field more, created more turnovers, field position, etc.

People need to be very careful about this kind of thing... Don't make the Texas or Nebraska mistake, and many other programs have made it too. Nebraska fired a guy with a 75% win percentage and have been a total dumpster fire with like 8 different coaches since. They are 0-4 this year and are lucky they aren't 0-5 because another game got cancelled. They went out and hired the next big guy, Scott Frost, out of UCF.

Kentucky is an interesting model to look at. Stoops has been there 6 years... He gets an automatic one year contract extension any time he wins 7 games in a year. They are committing to football. They have recognized he is a good coach and are with him for the long haul apparently, and I will bet that pays off for them.

Georgia Tech has a great coach. Its not even disputable. The accomplishments speak for themselves. Stick with it..

On top of all that.. the talent on the team leads me to believe they are poised for BIG things in the next two years.

Did you post this where you intended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmonty71

Banned
To those that think the media doesn't matter, you could not be more wrong. To us, the fans, meh... You're right, it doesn't , to a point. To the student, choosing schools , it does. To the coaches, trying to get those recruits, it matters. In order to remain competitive , it matters. But, again, for you , personally , it may not matter. Yet . until the program slips further into mediocrity .

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
To those that think the media doesn't matter, you could not be more wrong. To us, the fans, meh... You're right, it doesn't , to a point. To the student, choosing schools , it does. To the coaches, trying to get those recruits, it matters. In order to remain competitive , it matters. But, again, for you , personally , it may not matter. Yet . until the program slips further into mediocrity .

The hundreds to thousands of prospects out of ear shot from the Atlanta sports media have no idea the Atlanta sports media exists.
Beyond that, if you're talking about ESPN, they talk Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, maybe Georgia and then mention your program if it's face planting, like Nebraska. They're not talking Va Tech or NC State and both those teams and programs are doing pretty well for themselves this year.
The most important thing is for college coaches, especially the assistants, to have good connections and good relationships with high school coaches. The ones I know down here love McCollum. And that's big.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Mark Bradley’s opinion of the program. Ouch

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...gatech&utm_medium=social&utm_source=gatech_fb

“I know Ross won the UPI national championship in 1990. I know O’Leary shared an ACC title in 1998. I also know that together they had three seasons of nine-plus wins. Johnson has had four. Do I believe his program has suffered a downturn? Duh. Do I think he bleeds eight wins from this regular season, given that he’d have to go 7-1 from here? No. Do I feel Stansbury should begin to ponder alternatives? Yes.

But now to the heart of the matter: Do I believe the next Tech coach would fare better? Probably not. That’s not because I consider Johnson an untouchable. It’s because I doubt that Tech has the wherewithal to land a clear upgrade. For Georgia after Richt, there was a way up. Should Tech choose to part with Johnson, I’m not sure there is.”
The article is as clear as can be from a writer that utilizes the term “duh.” Bradley’s point is that Tech’s football program has a systemic issue that is not the fault of the coach. Therefore, changing the coach is not going to solve the issue.

I’m not sure where you are directing your comment of “Ouch,” but, based on the article, it seems that it should be directed towards Tech more than Johnson.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How many high school football players do you think are listening to the radio from 2pm-7pm every day?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
How many high school football players do you think are listening to the radio from 2pm-7pm every day?

How many of their coaches are? Their parents?
These personalities have social media accounts. But sense the media doesn’t matter why care??

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The hundreds to thousands of prospects out of ear shot from the Atlanta sports media have no idea the Atlanta sports media exists.
Beyond that, if you're talking about ESPN, they talk Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, maybe Georgia and then mention your program if it's face planting, like Nebraska. They're not talking Va Tech or NC State and both those teams and programs are doing pretty well for themselves this year.
The most important thing is for college coaches, especially the assistants, to have good connections and good relationships with high school coaches. The ones I know down here love McCollum. And that's big.
Yes. I made this point earlier. And here's some evidence:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/230903/listeners-of-all-sports-programs-usa/

Yep. About 1.5% of all the 18 - 34 year olds listen to sports radio with any kind of attention; the actual stat is explained in the URL. And this has been consistent over time for the last 8 years. I agree that better advertising (some here call it "branding".) would be a good idea, but the idea that young people are drawing their impressions of football programs from sports talk radio is not credible. TV is another story, but there the main attention os given to the "Top 10" programs; even the rest of the 25 get marginal attention. There's a lot to this - most tv coverage is ephemeral in its result too - but there is a reason why coaches put so much emphasis on personal contact and Swamp has put his finger right smack dab on it.

Mind, social media may be different. I looked, but I suspect to nobody's surprise, I found nothing on this, not even anecdotes.

Jmonty71

Banned
The question is, how many of those high school football players' parents listen to that show or hear about the show, is a better question. Do you not think the parents have input?

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It is not about the radio recruiting players....it is about the radio ( and other mass media) creating a "buzz" that gets people interested and coming to games....that creates revenue and game day atmosphere which are two of the big things that end up recruiting players to a program.

We have little to no "buzz" even in the good years because the vehicle for unaffiliated fans to learn about us instead treats us worse than second class citizen. We have the misfortune of being the archrival to a bigger, richer, more popular program that is the darling of the same media we need to spread our message.
Game over.