Dukes & Bell

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I have to say that, while I sometimes might have given him tongue-in-cheek grief for posting the same comment in several threads, I have been a big fan of @MikeJackets1967.

After the last few weeks, I am off the @MikeJackets1967 train.

Also, I consider the OP in a GT forum the equivalent of calling in to a CPJ radio show and barking.

That's not a personal attack. Imo, sports radio is market driven. In Atl, the whiny dwag fanbase will always drive the baseline market. GT winning doesn't move the baseline. It just changes the news for the moment.

You want to actually change Atl sports radio? Become a fanbase 4x your current size. You want to be a GT fan? Don't use dwag radio as the basis of your post.

Btw, I say that because of the reference to our offensive scheme in the op. No reasonable assessment of our team would conclude our O scheme is the problem.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I have to say that, while I sometimes might have given him tongue-in-cheek grief for posting the same comment in several threads, I have been a big fan of @MikeJackets1967.

After the last few weeks, I am off the @MikeJackets1967 train.

Also, I consider the OP in a GT forum the equivalent of calling in to a CPJ radio show and barking.

That's not a personal attack. Imo, sports radio is market driven. In Atl, the whiny dwag fanbase will always drive the baseline market. GT winning doesn't move the baseline. It just changes the news for the moment.

You want to actually change Atl sports radio? Become a fanbase 4x your current size. You want to be a GT fan? Don't use dwag radio as the basis of your post.

Btw, I say that because of the reference to our offensive scheme in the op. No reasonable assessment of our team would conclude our O scheme is the problem.
Yawn:yawn::rolleyes:

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want to see another, “GT lacks media coverage” post in here again, since it doesn’t matter.

If we are going to have this discussion, let’s be honest and fair. I rarely listen to local sports radio, but when Tech is having a great season of doing something exceptional, I will often tune in to see what is being said. I can still remember when GT beat Okl St at the buzzer to make the national championship in basketball in 2004 and I literally did not hear three minutes of talk about Tech that night or the following morning on any local station. I even found Dennis Scott’s show and he only gave them a shout out without any discussion. There was way more discussion on the national shows. Same basic story in our ACC championship and Orange Bowl football seasons.

To suggest that local radio would spend any significant time talking about Tech if we would just win is disengenuous at best. It just is. I have tried. They don’t.

I like the fact that our program is under the radar. That majority of sidewalk fans in Georgia are automatically baptized into the redneck school east of us instead of us. It takes special reasons to become a Tech fan (family was alum, family took you to Tech games when you were young, or you simply don't like human beings barking like dogs) and I'm all glad for it.

This is a loser mentality. We are under the radar because in general we suck. If we had 3 or 4 consecutive years of 2014/2016 type seasons, then we wouldn't be under the radar anymore and it would be a lot better for the program. Being under the radar means we have done anything consistently enough to be on the damn radar, and that sucks.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I could give two ****s what some radio folks say about our team, but I want to win and I want to win now. I am tired of feeling like we are one play from losing every game. I don't care how Stansbury goes about getting it done, I just care that he does. I will have a hard time spending any money, but will begrudgingly keep buying my tickets.

All of this can change with a few wins. String together a few wins in a row and I forget how much it sucks to spend an entire day/weekend to watch my team lose. Winning cures all. If the team builds some confidence they may be able to turn it around. I don't feel that this could happen with TM at the helm, but I could be wrong at that too.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree with @AE 87 about the fact that media is audience driven.

Only solution is to grow the fan base significantly.

Only way to do that long term is with winning football, and great marketing.

Jmonty71

Banned
I agree, to a point, when a team isn't winning, there is little to no attention placed upon them. Face it, not are a lot of fans band wagon chasing junkies, so are reporters and radio shows. They are going to report and do what brings the most ratings. I cannot count the number of "new" Bama fans, that before Saban, were never that much of a Bama fan. Same can be said for UGA and just about any other winning program (pro or college). I remember once when the Hawks were relevant. Until this year, you hardly heard anything about the Braves. Point is, losing programs generate very little interest to the public. Therefore; media outlets don't spend much, if any time, on them.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Uga is a good story because its simple.

EXCELLENCE
DEMAND IT
Had a winning coach and fired him because he couldn't beat Ala.
ACTION TO ACHIEVE IT
Hired the top assistant from Alabama.
LOYALITY TO ACHIEVE IT
Had great year where top PRO prospects came back for senior year.
RECRUIT TO ACHIEVE IT
This recruiting class they have 8 of the top 32 in nation.
SO FAR WINNING BIGLY.

Thus simple story line iij s made radio.

Our story is too complicated until like Navy says- we start winning.

AS TO UGA- THE GAPPY PHASE WILL SOON END
And they have yet to beat Alabama. Come to think of it most former assistants have yet to beat Saban. Seems like a poor plan.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I didn’t know if you were just insulting BO (Big Orange) or if that was code for someone else speaking. Thanks for calling me smart, although you might be in the minority with that opinion on this board.
It's the same as the elected President, which is why before taking office he was referred to as President - Elect.

Milwaukee

Banned
For any of you college football junkies all you need for sports radio is Bill King Radio. He's out of Nashville and talks NOTHING but cfb 3hrs a day 5 days a week. His voice sounds like a 70yr old man but I don't think he's nearly that old. He covers cfb better than anyone who has ever been in the industry. You'll thank me. I stream his show on Soundcloud daily.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
For any of you college football junkies all you need for sports radio is Bill King Radio. He's out of Nashville and talks NOTHING but cfb 3hrs a day 5 days a week. His voice sounds like a 70yr old man but I don't think he's nearly that old. He covers cfb better than anyone who has ever been in the industry. You'll thank me. I stream his show on Soundcloud daily.
Thanks i saved that and will listen to it tomorrow:cool: Bill King knows what he's talking about(y)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You mean people actually listen to sports radio?

I keed, keed. But, really, nobody listens to sports radio; they turn on sports radio shows to get stirred up. Almost all talk radio - which, btw, reaches a surprisingly small number of people - is like that and not much use as a consequence. It's sort of like the big network weekend "news" shows. You get a bunch of people who generally don't have a clue about what they are talking about but who appeal to the predilections of parts of the listening audience to sit together and talk over one another. Feckless activity, in almost every instance.

Now, I know there's a substantial "Perception is reality! Salesmanship is everything!" faction here and there's no denying that making a good pitch in an entertainment business like college football is something to pay attention to. Oth, worrying about how sports talk radio shows treat Tech sports is not worth the time.

Here endeth the lesson.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Mark Bradley’s opinion of the program. Ouch

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...gatech&utm_medium=social&utm_source=gatech_fb

“I know Ross won the UPI national championship in 1990. I know O’Leary shared an ACC title in 1998. I also know that together they had three seasons of nine-plus wins. Johnson has had four. Do I believe his program has suffered a downturn? Duh. Do I think he bleeds eight wins from this regular season, given that he’d have to go 7-1 from here? No. Do I feel Stansbury should begin to ponder alternatives? Yes.

But now to the heart of the matter: Do I believe the next Tech coach would fare better? Probably not. That’s not because I consider Johnson an untouchable. It’s because I doubt that Tech has the wherewithal to land a clear upgrade. For Georgia after Richt, there was a way up. Should Tech choose to part with Johnson, I’m not sure there is.”

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...gatech&utm_medium=social&utm_source=gatech_fb

“I know Ross won the UPI national championship in 1990. I know O’Leary shared an ACC title in 1998. I also know that together they had three seasons of nine-plus wins. Johnson has had four. Do I believe his program has suffered a downturn? Duh. Do I think he bleeds eight wins from this regular season, given that he’d have to go 7-1 from here? No. Do I feel Stansbury should begin to ponder alternatives? Yes.

But now to the heart of the matter: Do I believe the next Tech coach would fare better? Probably not. That’s not because I consider Johnson an untouchable. It’s because I doubt that Tech has the wherewithal to land a clear upgrade. For Georgia after Richt, there was a way up. Should Tech choose to part with Johnson, I’m not sure there is.”

image.png

C'mon ATL. Stop listening (reading) to these clowns' thoughts.

That's a dumb opinion for Bradley to have: "Yes, GT should consider getting a new coach but no, they won't find one better than CPJ."

No wonder some refer to him as Bark Madley. Guy's a *******.