Duke Postgame

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I've got no problem with that. The guys need to learn to execute those plays before even thinking about another play. If they can't execute those plays, we're not going to win anyway. Running 4 verts the whole time only really works in NCAA14.

On the flip side, he should be adjusting. Either the blocking or the play calls. Calling five consecutive, identical plays and them not working is probably not putting your team, and its strengths, in a position to win. Not sure what our strengths are though...

This really sucks no matter how you slice it.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Give me a break. I doubt that has anything to do with this.
Explain how we seemed better coached at almost everything last year then? No way our offensive line got that bad in a season. Pj was the coach we hired him to be last year. Not as stubborn..he was cocky. Now he looks clueless on game day

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
On the flip side, he should be adjusting. Either the blocking or the play calls. Calling five consecutive, identical plays and them not working is probably not putting your team, and its strengths, in a position to win. Not sure what our strengths are though...

This really sucks no matter how you slice it.

Better to learn now and lose. Then maybe you have it figured out well enought to beat Pitt and UVA.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are a lot of things frustrating about the game today. Probably the most frustrating thing for me is how our defense got pushed around early. Why? We showed for over a half of football that we could pretty much stuff them. Why did we come out so flat and let them push us out of our gaps and downfield 4 yards after contact, before getting our bearings once it was a two score difference? We seem to have a focus problem. Are we already pressing? Are we tight? I am not blaming the defense for the loss. This was a team loss, all around in all phases. However, Duke looked like they could be shut down today.

Also, I hesitate to even bring this up because it sounds so bad, like excuse making, but are we having trouble deciding what cleats to wear? This is the second week in a row that our opponents appeared to have better footing than we did. What is up with that? On a wet track it is absolutely essential to have the right cleats. We just seem to slip and slide while they get off the line well and make cuts. I see our guys getting up from a pile and their cleats don't look that long to me. Did anybody check the weather? Do we even have the right gear?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
A full team of 5 stars executing like we did won't win. The recruiting has very little to do with this. Players simply aren't executing. I think we actually played worse today than against ND. Somehow the line play was much worse.
That's coaching bro

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Explain how we seemed better coached at almost everything last year then? No way our offensive line got that bad in a season. Pj was the coach we hired him to be last year. Not as stubborn..he was cocky. Now he looks clueless on game day

So your position is that he simply doesn't care anymore? Or somehow a contract has made him stupider? The line did ok against ND. I think there's a great deal of frustration in the players there.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
A full team of 5 stars executing like we did won't win. The recruiting has very little to do with this. Players simply aren't executing. I think we actually played worse today than against ND. Somehow the line play was much worse.
Would a team of 4 stars have won today?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Where has the O line gone that drive blocked Georgia and MSU 3 to 5 yards down the field. I have to assume LB are plugging the holes like ND.

Where has the secondary tackling gone that was so good at end of last year. On O line we lost one guy. On D we lost 2. real step backwards it seems.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Where has the O line gone that drive blocked Georgia and MSU 3 to 5 yards down the field. I have to assume LB are plugging the holes like ND.

Where has the secondary tackling gone that was so good at end of last year. On O line we lost one guy. On D we lost 2. real step backwards it seems.

I watched the ND videos from @apcarrick. We got good movement up front. The problem is that everyone has to be in sync.

Declinometer

Banned
FWIW my two takeaways
CPJ just called to bad games in a row
It appears protecting JT in camp scrimmages was a mistake. It looks as though he is not operating at real game speed.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not on the same bandwagon as so many of our surrender monkeys...that being said I'm not yet sure what to make of our D. They played good today but I'm not sure the Duke offense doesn't suck also.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Well they won't win all the time, but the odds go up a darn good bit... My guess is that they'd have beaten Duke today.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's pretty clear what happens when you lose all those senior a-backs that let you operate effectively(by blocking the right guy!) on the perimeter. When you lose that, the o-line is forced to try to push the DL the whole game. I think they just got tired and lost focus trying that the whole game. They started missing assignments.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
So your position is that he simply doesn't care anymore? Or somehow a contract has made him stupider? The line did ok against ND. I think there's a great deal of frustration in the players there.
Idk.just seemed better prepared on game day. I can't explain it

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
AB...BB...WR. All gone from last year. Where are all the fans that thought JT was doing it by himself last year?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it's pretty clear what happens when you lose all those senior a-backs that let you operate effectively(by blocking the right guy!) on the perimeter. When you lose that, the o-line is forced to try to push the DL the whole game. I think they just got tired and lost focus trying that the whole game. They started missing assignments.

I may be missing your point. But we sucked at blocking from the get go. In fact may be was worse in q1 than q3. I think its way more than tired. Pressing. Loss of ab. We look clueless and how thats possible with 4 returning on the ol baffles me. I get sometimes messing up. Sure. But this is 8 quarters of bad.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That's because of the senior A-backs, B-backs, and WRs, along with a senior RG to anchor the line. These guys just don't know what to do and they aren't learning fast enough.

So you are saying this explans why the center and gaurds look bad. 78 who is a senior had a really rough day. Burden didnt do much. It seems deeper than the edge guys. We still have 4 back on the ol. You would think at least the left side of the line would be ok. Its not either