Duke Postgame

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A big part of being a major college head coach is recruiting--I'd say it's the most important part. The first two years Johnson was playing with Gailey's talent, which is not a complete measure of Johnson's ability as a head coach. The first two years showed that Johnson the OC is very talented. The last 5 1/3 are a better measure of Johnson the head coach. By the 3rd year, the coach "owns" the program.

Bobby Ross is an example. His last 3 years are a much better measure of Ross as a head coach than his first 2 years.

Actually, 5 1/3 years is not an "interval". It is a continuous period from 2010 to present. An interval would be comparing years 3-6 of Johnson (and leaving out 7 and 8) with years 3-6 of Gailey, since Gailey was fired after year 6.

If you want an interval, years 3-6 were worse. Johnson's FBS record for the 3-6 year interval: 23-25. For a comparison: Gailey: 27-21. O'Leary: 34-14. And Johnson makes almost 3 times as much as the other two made.

If anyone has an agenda, it's the people who say "Johnson has won more games in his first X years than anyone else". He has also played more games. But even more, he has padded his GT win record with 9 FCS wins (in 8 years). No other GT coach has come close to playing that many FCS teams.
OK. Thanks for that. Fair enough. The one part of your assessment I would challenge rather strongly is the part dealing with winning using other coach's players. CPJ came in here and completely changed the system to something not even remotely related to what was being done before, whether the players were good for the system or not. We plugged square pegs into round holes all over the place. That was not a great situation necessarily. Eliminating that interval (correctly used this time I think), to me, smacks a little of convenience rather than earnest argument.