Duke postgame

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The son and I went to the game. Where he informed me that we would need 5 tickets next year because the daughter-in-law and the two sisters all wanted to geo to the games and felt left out. Well, it's only money. My impressions:

• Tech got its mojo back. I don't think there was any doubt who had the most talent on the field, but talent isn't much use if you can't use it. The key here was to have both Jamal and Alexander returned to health. Turns out from post-game interviews that fonts here who thought Haynes was hurt appear to have been right; he was himself late night and it made all the difference. And when he needed a breather Alexander came is and, as usual, moved the pile. (How he does that at 185 is a mystery, but some backs just have the knack.) That's what won the game; we Ran The Ball and had more plays and almost twice their TOP. Against a team with limited offensive power that did it.

• Well, that and a good D performance against the run; we had 5 TFLs and held them to 3.7 YPC. That'll do against a team with an inexperienced QB. And, yes, the second PI call was a complete travesty; there was no way either player could get to the ball. But I digress; the D performance was about as good as you could hope for. I was particular pleased by Lockett's performance. That young man gets push.

• I thought King looked like he might be hurt as well. His runs were more tentative then usual. Still, it's hard to complain about 197 yards of total offense and a 74% completion rate on his throws. The usual competent game, though I thought a couple of his throws were e bit risky.

• Why, merciful God, are we still running WR screens when every DC in the country knows they are coming and coaches for it? Ok, sometimes they work for big plays and we can get at least some yards from them. Maybe that's all Buster/Weike are expecting. But I'd like the O more if we were ruining some double options to the edge to get Jamal or King into the open. Maybe we can't make that work and there was nothing to complain about in the run game last night. But then I watch an Army game and get unsatisfied. Maybe it's just mw.

• Last word = our next opponent is a dangerous one. The Holes have the best RB in the conference and know how to use him. They are scoring almost at will and then can't stop anybody. (Why am I not surprised?) A performance like we had last night will do the job, but we'll have to get more out of the O to win. We'll see. If we can get to 5 -2 the ND game will be big.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Are Upper East Tickets way overpriced? The sightlines are really good for those seats and it's strange to see them so empty
They were senior and grad student seats when I was there. Great seats. Back then the students would start stomping and create a stadium rumble during important downs. They are very steep and no hand rails for older fans though.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’ve seen a lot of complaints about the screens, and while I’d like to see some winkles off them or even some more rocket toss style plays, I’m just glad we got the ball moving wide of the tackle box. It opens everything up.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is easy to say after a win but I thought the officiating mostly balanced out. I didn’t think they were a good crew but I thought their mistakes didn’t cost either team the game. Though the timeliness of the roughing call was devastating for Duke as they never recovered from that.
I agree that there appeared to be some makeup calls. The PI before the half against us was very questionable but so was the offensive PI against Duke in Q3. Also they called delay of games on both defenses. So I think the calls did even out overall. My big concern on penalties remains how many holding calls we get on offense. Seems to be a problem each week. But at the end, we played a very good Q4 and got the win.