Disappointment

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
My problem with the "juice", the money down, the dancing, in fact all the gimmickry is that it needs to be done when you have done something...like maybe winning a few games...then dance away with the juice and monopoly money flowing.

I have posted this elsewhere but as a high school coach I know told me, all that stuff are fine. But if you ain't winning, it come off as just gimmicks.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
From what I could tell, it was a they said - they said situation. Both OL commits claimed that they hadn't heard from GT. GT claimed that they were honoring all commitments.

I think it's up to each person to determine what they think most likely happened. It doesn't do any good for anyone to publicly speculate, imo.

CGC and crew were expressly told they will honor the commitments PJ's staff had gotten.
In essence, they didn't pull the offers but having no contact is tantamount to telling a kid directly you might want to think about going somewhere else. Especially that late in the recruiting cycle.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What makes you believe that there is a multitude of 4-5 star players that want to MAJOR in one of the few degree offerings that Tech offers AND put up with the academic rigors required to stay eligible on their way to the NFL?
Coach is not trying to Recruit multiple 4 and 5 stars. We are tying to out recruit Duke, Pitt, UVA, VT and hang With Miami and UNC which will give Tech a chance to win Coastal and hang with UGA and Clemson every year.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
You might have meant something else by “returning starters”, but we have a bit of O Line turnover from last year.

This time last year, our starters were
LT Quinney (back)
LG Braun (gone)
C Lee (Injured) backup Morgan
RG Bryan (gone)
RT Marshall (gone)

At the QuickLane bowl, we had
LT Quinney (back)
LG Braun (gone)
C Cooper (injured) or Lee (injured)
RG Hansen (back)
RT Marshall (gone) or Lee (injured)

The way I look at it, we have two starters back on the OL, out of five. Last year, the line was OK, but I don’t think it was one of our stronger lines. If it had been, we’d have had a better season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say right now. It was CGC inherited what would have been a complete starting offensive line returning. Lee Braun Cooper Hansen and Quinney. All by your statement returning starters. He had that on day one of his regime and a couple of months into it.
I wasn't talking about October. I was talking about when CGC got here and when he got the first signing class completed. So he did in fact inherit a complete starting offensive line. The point wasn't what does have now from that but what he had then from that.

Animal02

Banned
Coach is not trying to Recruit multiple 4 and 5 stars. We are tying to out recruit Duke, Pitt, UVA, VT and hang With Miami and UNC which will give Tech a chance to win Coastal and hang with UGA and Clemson every year.
LMAO if you think we will "hang with Clemp and UGA" like that. And that doesn't even consider the crap game day coaching displayed so far.

Animal02

Banned
CGC coming in really didn't have an effect on the big money boosters coming in. That's what I was told by someone who talked to someone way up in administration at Tech.
We can't understate just how much damage MBob did. He did everything on the cheap (remember the air freighter with jump seats he was supposed to be in favor of for the Dublin trip)?
I did have someone high up in administration tell me two years ago that the locker room/players lounge was "(bleeping) embarrassing." And that was on MBob. You want to bring in recruits and have sofas that have stuffing coming out of them? Because that's what we had under MBob.
But but but, according to many...it was all CPJ. :rolleyes:

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
LMAO if you think we will "hang with Clemp and UGA" like that. And that doesn't even consider the crap game day coaching displayed so far.
Why wouldn’t we be able to hang with Clemson with consistent top 30 classes? Which is what a class would rank most years if we finished 4th or 5th in the ACC. We haven’t even been remotely close to Challenging Clemson in 5 years, they’re a great team but having negative yards after a quarter is inexcusable and straight up lack of talent which falls back to terrible recruiting. Clemson gets played close by multiple teams every year but they have **** down our throats every time since 2014. I prefer at least trying to recruit at a high level instead of accepting mediocrity and the rare lightning in a bottle season with no sustained success because of... Bad Recruiting every 4 out of 5 classes.
Also it’s funny people love to talk about Paul’s ability to scheme and coach players up but his best teams 2009 and 2014 seen multiple players drafted, and were both lead by a 4 Star QB, it’s almost like talent is important.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Why wouldn’t we be able to hang with Clemson with consistent top 30 classes? Which is what a class would rank most years if we finished 4th or 5th in the ACC. We haven’t even been remotely close to Challenging Clemson in 5 years, they’re a great team but having negative yards after a quarter is inexcusable and straight up lack of talent which falls back to terrible recruiting. Clemson gets played close by multiple teams every year but they have **** down our throats every time since 2014. I prefer at least trying to recruit at a high level instead of accepting mediocrity and the rare lightning in a bottle season with no sustained success because of... Bad Recruiting every 4 out of 5 classes.
Also it’s funny people love to talk about Paul’s ability to scheme and coach players up but his best teams 2009 and 2014 seen multiple players drafted, and were both lead by a 4 Star QB, it’s almost like talent is important.

What teams played Clemson close in 2018? No. 16 Texas A&M did in the second game of the year at Texas A&M with about 105,000 Texas A&M fans. No. 15 Syracuse did, at Syracuse, when Clemson's 3rd string QB had to play most of the game.

Undefeated No. 5 Notre Dame lost handily. Undefeated No. 2 Alabama lost handily.

If you look at 2018 team ratings, Clemson's defense ranked between 2 and 4. Clemson's offense ranked between 5 and 7. I don't disagree with you that GT hasn't been competitive with them in the last few years. However, I think you are downplaying just how good Clemson has been to the CFP four years in a row. The only team they have lost to in the CFP is Alabama, once in the playoff game and once in the championship game. Basically for the last four years the college football championship has been between the winner of the Alabama and Clemson game.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
CGC coming in really didn't have an effect on the big money boosters coming in. That's what I was told by someone who talked to someone way up in administration at Tech.
We can't understate just how much damage MBob did. He did everything on the cheap (remember the air freighter with jump seats he was supposed to be in favor of for the Dublin trip)?
I did have someone high up in administration tell me two years ago that the locker room/players lounge was "(bleeping) embarrassing." And that was on MBob. You want to bring in recruits and have sofas that have stuffing coming out of them? Because that's what we had under MBob.

I don't have any inside information, but from what I understand and can see publicly you are half way correct. AI2020 was started early in 2018 and had already been funded very well before CPJ left, so funding was getting better already. However, there is at least one big money donor that supposedly wasn't donating that is now reported to have made at least one large donation this year. I would say that TStan has been more responsible for the uptick in funding than anyone else.

EDIT: It also appears that MBob was intentionally trying to sabotage the football team in order to gain support to fire CPJ. Internal shenanigans like that from the head of the athletic department are bound to have lasting affects for several years even after the coach is replaced.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
The sad part is that even though we will not lose that many players off this team we can hardly afford to lose many of those. We lost just a couple of linemen from both sides of the ball and it created an immediate crisis.
Adams loss was both sad and extremely impactful. Not much CGC could do about that. Other decisions, failures to execute if you will, that’s on him. You have to understand the importance of your lines & manage depth effectively at this level to have any kind of success. That should have been #1 of the #1 priorities out of the gate.

LibertyTurns

Banned
EDIT: It also appears that MBob was intentionally trying to sabotage the football team in order to gain support to fire CPJ. Internal shenanigans like that from the head of the athletic department are bound to have lasting affects for several years even after the coach is replaced.
This is a business and when you rely on external funding, as we do heavily, to support the business you cannot disregard you revenue streams.

I think everyone one here understands just how much animosity there was to the old regime. Maybe CPJ caused it by the manner in which he interacted with certain segments of the fanbase? I really don’t know. I’ve got better insight into what it was like at the Academy & it was night & day at GT. I’ve had many a discussion with them (some of the more high profile alums & football players) & they really could not & can not understand the CPJ situation here. Frankly, many of them think we’re freaking nuts for the way we managed him and this whole thing played out.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
History. We have had one class of 4 star talent (top loaded) nfl talent and one retroactive 5 star. Some of the NFL talent there also being not as highly rated. STH degrees are helping us a little with this because that can be spun as a comm or type of education major even though it isn't. Roddy's really helping us out with his success in broadcasting. But the truth is that most people don't even want to go to school for business (silly if i were planning to be a professional athlete that is exactly the major i'd want) and calculus scares people even though it shouldn't. (we should be teaching calculus in 10th grade. but we have to reteach algebra and stuff because schools suck).

Johnson could get by with less talent and still win some games, spike when he had age or nfl talent at a few key positions and have a good season. Running what we want to run now you really need it at all positions. I am just not sure we can recruit that way with our limitations.

Give us a legit education degree though? Or some form of BS in excercise science? Hell yeah we could.

Your argument...what’s it based off of? Do you know any 4*s and 5*s?

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Having an AD who refused to allow our coach more than 2 recruiting staff while our competitors were in the double digits is a pretty solid reason. TStan is going to be responsible for an improvement in our recruiting more than CGC is, because our previous AD was a joke who was crippling our program.

Quit making excuses for someone that was extremely poor at recruiting.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Miami fans have set up some kind of GoFundMe thing to buy a banner calling for the firing of Manny after 5 games. Supposedly, the funding was secured in just a couple of days to be flown before the UVA game. I much prefer to be patient and see if Coach Collins all in approach to recruiting will be successful. Someone posted that this approach has been tried before and failed. It has been tried before but not to the degree that Coach Collins has invested. It might be that the recruiting obstacles are such that it will ultimately prove a failure but I for one am willing to give it a chance for no other reason than we have no choice. Maybe, Miami has the money to fire coaches on a whim but we certainly don't. Personally, I am somewhat skeptical that recruiting by itself will prove to be a game changer unless it is accompanied by the hard work of player development and recruiting the right players meaning linemen not receivers, nor running backs, nor defensive backs and certainly not anymore option style athletes pretending to be quarterbacks.

you do realize we have coaches that can coach Em up, don’t you?

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a business and when you rely on external funding, as we do heavily, to support the business you cannot disregard you revenue streams.

I think everyone one here understands just how much animosity there was to the old regime. Maybe CPJ caused it by the manner in which he interacted with certain segments of the fanbase? I really don’t know. I’ve got better insight into what it was like at the Academy & it was night & day at GT. I’ve had many a discussion with them (some of the more high profile alums & football players) & they really could not & can not understand the CPJ situation here. Frankly, many of them think we’re freaking nuts for the way we managed him and this whole thing played out.
I worked for the 3 star Super that hired CPJ at the academy and he said something very similar.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
you do realize we have coaches that can coach Em up, don’t you?

I can only assume that they can "coach em up" but the results from The Citadel and Temple games are not encouraging. We will see. I do know that Coach Johnson for all his faults at being warm and fuzzy with recruits could in fact get more out of less than any Tech coach in living memory. You might say he could "coach em up" in a manner of speaking.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we should have a little more sympathy for what the coaching staff is dealing with

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...h-freshmen-sophomores/FhDhelcwHRjZ1m1TbUaiaP/

Indeed, it is one of the most challenging rebuilding jobs in Tech history with the possible exception of what Bill Curry faced circa 1980. However, the flip side is that we need to have a little more sympathy for what Coach Johnson was facing with the hostility of two athletic directors and a segment of the fan base controlling the money that was unnecessary and counter productive.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of us are disappointed because of the off season hype and enthusiasm of the new staff. The players seemed excited as well. The lack of big plays from our QB has been a problem. Now that the position is more stable we may see improvement.