Disappointment

slugboy

Staff member
I didn't say right now. It was CGC inherited what would have been a complete starting offensive line returning. Lee Braun Cooper Hansen and Quinney. All by your statement returning starters. He had that on day one of his regime and a couple of months into it.
I wasn't talking about October. I was talking about when CGC got here and when he got the first signing class completed. So he did in fact inherit a complete starting offensive line. The point wasn't what does have now from that but what he had then from that.

Even by stretching things, you can’t really say that. Certainly it’s not in the spirit of returning an entire starting line.

Braun was in the transfer portal regardless of Johnson staying or any new coach coming in. You can’t count him as returning. He had graduated and he was gone.

Cooper and Lee both played center. Lee only moved out to provide relief at tackle because we were thin last year.

When you discuss returning an entire starting line, it means bringing back the same 5 guys who played together through a significant part of the season, keeping the same positions, and building up a rapport with each other so they all know what to expect.

There’s not a preseason sports magazine in the world that would say we had an entire returning starting offensive line. There’s not one that would say we were returning a loaded line.

Last year, we had a stable side of the line with Quinney/Braun/Cooper, and you could kind of call it strong because of Braun. It still had problems. The other half was patchwork and the starting tackle there graduated.

The offensive line last year wasn’t strong even in the CPJ era. 2014 would be an example of a gelled offensive line. And we only returned part of last year’s line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Quit making excuses for someone that was extremely poor at recruiting.
I can’t believe I am going to dignify such a dismissive response with my own.

Claiming that we spend and invest less than our competitors is not making excuses. If I were to give you $500,000 to hire a team and build a competitor to YouTube, I would be an idiot to think you failed because you were bad at your job (maybe you are maybe aren’t, I don’t know). If you were set up to underperform from the start, you will under perform more. Maybe CGC would have recruited better under our limitations, we will never know because TStan isn’t someone who puts his head in he sand and blame CPJ like some of our fans.

TStan saw the state of our recruiting staff and helped address it immediately. TStan saw his predecessor let the program spending drop below Duke, and immediately began to change it. I don’t care who our coach is. I want us to succeed. To succeed we need to address fundamental bottle necks of our program. TStan seems to recognize that, what’s your excuse for not?

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. I don’t care who our coach is. I want us to succeed. To succeed we need to address fundamental bottle necks of our program. TStan seems to recognize that, what’s your excuse for not?

calling for a head coach's head on a platter anonymously on the internet is easy to do. Donating, attending games, buying tickets requires time and energy and $. We all like a quick fix. however, with our training we should be better at root cause analysis. WTBS, I think the message boards tend to draw a more intense, passionate and even irrational type of fans. Most of my friends who are GT fans and/or alums have a more sober, rational thought process regarding GT athletics consistent with their education and careers that has been relatively unchanged over the (too many) years. Most have never been involved in any of the popular forums and perhaps even unaware of their existence.

Only during the Lewis era was the mood and thought process over the coach been uniformly consistent and tbh, I don't think the message boards even existed at the time (thank God). If you thought Gailey or Johnson or Collins exposed or exposes the lunatic fringe of our fan base I can't imagine what the posts and boards would have looked like back then.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Your argument...what’s it based off of? Do you know any 4*s and 5*s?

Well trying this again because im not sure what wasn't relevant to answering your question directly in the last post and we have a trigger happy mod it seems.

Do i know any current five stars? No. However if you look historically at how we've recruited going back to dodd i used that.

I also did participate in the recruitign game in 05-06 due to when I was personally getting recruited and played with a guy that didn't consider tech because of major selection and ended up in the nfl. For what its worth I don't think the academics are as big of an issue for anyone with motivation but it doesn't make it easier when compared to other schools.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Coach is not trying to Recruit multiple 4 and 5 stars. We are tying to out recruit Duke, Pitt, UVA, VT and hang With Miami and UNC which will give Tech a chance to win Coastal and hang with UGA and Clemson every year.

I have to agree with Animal on this one. We might can recruit well enough to compete with Pitt, UVA, Duke, VT, and UNC. We already did compete with them fairly well without recruiting as well, but for us to "hang with UGAG and Clem's Son", the recruiting you are talking about will have to include a whole lotta great preparation and game day coaching, and I am not sure we have that right now. I hope we do.

On a sidenote, if the coaching isn't great, then we will still probably lose to Duke, VT, etc. anyway. But, we can be competitive just by recruiting as well or a little better than them.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of us are disappointed because of the off season hype and enthusiasm of the new staff. The players seemed excited as well. The lack of big plays from our QB has been a problem. Now that the position is more stable we may see improvement.

I think you can argue that Collins could have tempered expectations a bit, but that doesn't seem to be in his nature. And it's not like we would have listened if he did. I remember before 2015, PJ tried to drop several clues that he didn't think we were going to be good. "You should see these guys practice", he said in one preseason presser. But to be fair, the offseason hype and enthusiasm never really came with set expectations, just that we would put in tremendous effort and get better throughout the year. We filled in the blanks with expectations of our own. Collins was careful to dodge any questions about expected wins and losses.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Even by stretching things, you can’t really say that. Certainly it’s not in the spirit of returning an entire starting line.

Braun was in the transfer portal regardless of Johnson staying or any new coach coming in. You can’t count him as returning. He had graduated and he was gone.

Cooper and Lee both played center. Lee only moved out to provide relief at tackle because we were thin last year.

When you discuss returning an entire starting line, it means bringing back the same 5 guys who played together through a significant part of the season, keeping the same positions, and building up a rapport with each other so they all know what to expect.

There’s not a preseason sports magazine in the world that would say we had an entire returning starting offensive line. There’s not one that would say we were returning a loaded line.

Last year, we had a stable side of the line with Quinney/Braun/Cooper, and you could kind of call it strong because of Braun. It still had problems. The other half was patchwork and the starting tackle there graduated.

The offensive line last year wasn’t strong even in the CPJ era. 2014 would be an example of a gelled offensive line. And we only returned part of last year’s line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know that we ever had two tackles on any offensive line that Coach Johnson was happy about. It seemed like we had productive guards and centers coming out of our ears at times but tackles were hard to come by. Last year, he got so mad at Zach when he jumped offsides in a game, I thought he was going to have a heart attack. No matter what the offensive scheme is, its always the same. Offensive linemen get little, if any, of the glory and have to work the hardest and get yelled at the most. It is a wonder some of them don't start playing soccer or something.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think you can argue that Collins could have tempered expectations a bit, but that doesn't seem to be in his nature. And it's not like we would have listened if he did. I remember before 2015, PJ tried to drop several clues that he didn't think we were going to be good. "You should see these guys practice", he said in one preseason presser. But to be fair, the offseason hype and enthusiasm never really came with set expectations, just that we would put in tremendous effort and get better throughout the year. We filled in the blanks with expectations of our own. Collins was careful to dodge any questions about expected wins and losses.

Yes, we as fans always buy into the hype whether it is put out by the coaches, the players or the media. You would think we would learn. Coach Collins tried to tell us but its not in his nature to be dour and tamp down expectations. One year Vince Dooly was hosting his post game show on Sunday and was talking about the Dwags playing Vanderbilt. What could he say? Vince, being Vince, talked about Vanderbilt's kickers and how the guy punting could place a ball anywhere he wanted with any kind of spin and showed replays to build them up. My dad turned to me and said "He ought to be good at punting, he gets lots of practice"

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have to agree with Animal on this one. We might can recruit well enough to compete with Pitt, UVA, Duke, VT, and UNC. We already did compete with them fairly well without recruiting as well, but for us to "hang with UGAG and Clem's Son", the recruiting you are talking about will have to include a whole lotta great preparation and game day coaching, and I am not sure we have that right now. I hope we do.

On a sidenote, if the coaching isn't great, then we will still probably lose to Duke, VT, etc. anyway. But, we can be competitive just by recruiting as well or a little better than them.

There is no excuse for allowing Duke, in particular, but others as well to come prancing into metro Atlanta schools and steal recruits right out from under our nose. We are smack dab in the middle of what has to be a top 10 recruiting area for the entire country and there is no reason why we cannot out recruit every team in the Coastal with the exception of Clemson and yes that includes Miami because south Florida is not as productive as it once was.

Animal02

Banned
There is no excuse for allowing Duke, in particular, but others as well to come prancing into metro Atlanta schools and steal recruits right out from under our nose. We are smack dab in the middle of what has to be a top 10 recruiting area for the entire country and there is no reason why we cannot out recruit every team in the Coastal with the exception of Clemson and yes that includes Miami because south Florida is not as productive as it once was.
It is not stealing when you can offer 100+ majors that Tech does not offer and create an easy path to the NFL for the 2% that make it. Not everyone wants to be an engineer or business major.

Animal02

Banned
I don't know that we ever had two tackles on any offensive line that Coach Johnson was happy about. It seemed like we had productive guards and centers coming out of our ears at times but tackles were hard to come by. Last year, he got so mad at Zach when he jumped offsides in a game, I thought he was going to have a heart attack. No matter what the offensive scheme is, its always the same. Offensive linemen get little, if any, of the glory and have to work the hardest and get yelled at the most. It is a wonder some of them don't start playing soccer or something.
Too much running back and forth in soccer for the big O line types.;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Is the objective to win football games or to run your system regardless of the outcome ?

Welcome to the forum.

It's a good question. I thought I knew the answer.

Seriously, though, I think Collins is doing his best to do both. I may question whether his best is good enough, but I'm hopeful that he proves me wrong.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It is not stealing when you can offer 100+ majors that Tech does not offer and create an easy path to the NFL for the 2% that make it. Not everyone wants to be an engineer or business major.

That may be true but there were times not too long ago when the thought of Duke getting players we wanted was anathema to Tech fans. Now it is becoming all to commonplace.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Duke doesn't have a single commit with a Tech offer according to 247.

Not now they might not but check their roster they have a bunch of players from metro Atlanta. There is a reason they have beating us lately and it is not just Coach Cut though he has a lot to do with it. They are recruiting better.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Which is why I think everyone should be excited moving forward, if Collins isn’t the guy I think Tech is eager to find him. The Money is here all of the sudden, we have to capitalize.
Which is also bs, because where was this money when we've been begging the last 8 years for it. Could have had a decent DC with this money or even enough support staff so we could actually recruit.

People forget all too quickly that at the peak of recruiting staff, we had 4 and that was like 2 years ago at the earliest!! Other teams have dozens of them!!!

We wouldn't spend money on a future Hall of Fame coach, but we'll spend it on an unproven coach. We are Georgia Tech, we are supposed to be smart.