Demetris Robertson

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: Where will Demetris Robertson transfer? High-school coach doesn’t know
Chumley said he had not heard from coaches from any of those schools, though he also said he didn’t expect to hear from them. Chumley did allow that “Tech, Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame – I imagine they’re all still interested.”

Two other possible destinations that were floated by college football media were Ole Miss and West Virginia, as former Cal assistants who worked with Robertson are now at those schools.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if this kid is still planning on civil engineering. He may have changed direction once he got into classes at Cal. Tough to balance engineering and football at big time programs. There are a lot of big universities like UT that offer CE but not nationally ranked like Cal or GT.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if this kid is still planning on civil engineering. He may have changed direction once he got into classes at Cal. Tough to balance engineering and football at big time programs. There are a lot of big universities like UT that offer CE but not nationally ranked like Cal or GT.
Yeah Tennessee offers Civil Engineering also

https://catalog.utk.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=23&poid=9760

If this link doesn't work or has security issues try removing "https://" from the beginning

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If he must sit out a year, then Tech’s starting QB in 2019 might figure into his decision-making. Assuming he has a conversation with Tech’s coaching staff, I wonder what they would say in that regard...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If he must sit out a year, then Tech’s starting QB in 2019 might figure into his decision-making. Assuming he has a conversation with Tech’s coaching staff, I wonder what they would say in that regard...

A lot of speculation on here, but has anyone heard any actual information as to why he is leaving Cal? The only statement I have seen said that he is not continuing football or education at Cal, but doesn't actually say he is transferring. I doubt he is finished with either football or education. If there was any actual indication about his reasons for leaving Cal, it might provide insight into where he might go to. He could be leaving because education is tough. He could be leaving because he misses his family. He could be leaving for athletic reasons. He could be leaving because of some personal issues with Cal.

He has no obligation to tell the public what his reasons are. Some are assuming he is leaving and still wants a rigorous educations, but we don't have any idea if that is true. Some are assuming he is leaving purely for athletic reasons, but we don't have any idea if that is true. Basically all of the speculation in this thread is even less informed than in his recruiting thread a few years ago.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A lot of speculation on here, but has anyone heard any actual information as to why he is leaving Cal? The only statement I have seen said that he is not continuing football or education at Cal, but doesn't actually say he is transferring. I doubt he is finished with either football or education. If there was any actual indication about his reasons for leaving Cal, it might provide insight into where he might go to. He could be leaving because education is tough. He could be leaving because he misses his family. He could be leaving for athletic reasons. He could be leaving because of some personal issues with Cal.

He has no obligation to tell the public what his reasons are. Some are assuming he is leaving and still wants a rigorous educations, but we don't have any idea if that is true. Some are assuming he is leaving purely for athletic reasons, but we don't have any idea if that is true. Basically all of the speculation in this thread is even less informed than in his recruiting thread a few years ago.

I read in a Cal blog that he was homesick, but who knows?

Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you...

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I doubt there is anything to see here as far as we are concerned. He had already eliminated GT from consideration before his cake ceremony. I mean, by all means, the staff could gauge if there is any interest, but I think its going to be a nothing burger for us.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Romo was from Eastern Illinois and was undrafted. Drew Pearson from Tulsa was undrafted. Adam Vinatieri from South Dakota State was undrafted. James Harrison from Kent State was undrafted. Antonio Gates from Kent State was undrafted. He was from a (now) P5 school, but Warren Moon went undrafted.

Warner did try out for the Packers after college but was competing against Farve, Mark Brunell, and Ty Detmer. Would Warner have ended up as good as he was without taking the path he took? I can't answer that. He might have been Farve's backup or third string QB for a long time and never started.
Good research. Or memory. If memory you worry me. But in other words, if you can play sometimes they won't find you. Wasn't Johnny Unitas in kind of the same category?

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
If you're a great player NFL Scouts will find you no matter where you play......................................................................................................................................i'm just sayin';)
Isn’t this like saying, why go to GT if you want to be an engineer, the engineering firms will find yo no matter wher you go to school.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t this like saying, why go to GT if you want to be an engineer, the engineering firms will find yo no matter wher you go to school.

If that were true, then yes, it is the same. But I doubt it is anywhere near the same thing.

Who you play for, if it is against power 5 competition, is pretty much the same at Alabama as Tech. I'll wager our schedule is at least as difficult as Alabama's on average. So you're playing against the same level of opponent, and the skill set required to excel is the same. The bottom line is that a receiver here or at any power 5 team who has the skill sets required by the NFL will get his shot. Superior blocking is one of those skill sets, by the way.

Although there are the inevitable exceptions, as a rule getting a degree in Engineering at a sub-par Engineering school is a quite different thing altogether, and will probably not get you a look from a top-notch firm because of all the people in line ahead of you who have degrees from, say, Georgia Tech, Caltech, or MIT. Different kettle of fish altogether.