Demetris Robertson

Oh, you are talking about JUSTIN Thomas. I thought you were talking about DEMAYRIUS Thomas. However, Justin was not a 5-star either, neither at DB nor at QB ..... "Four-star athlete Justin Thomas (Prattvile, Ala./Prattville) is following his heart. All he wants is a chance to play quarterback at the next level. This 5-foot-11 and 180-pound athlete committed to Alabama many months ago with the hope at one day becoming the signal caller in Tuscaloosa." That from a UPI report on another online site.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
You never know. I read on a Cal blog that he's leaving Cal because he's homesick, so there could be a good chance of him ending up in Georgia, but if he's serious about Civil Engineering he'll choose the GT Civil Engineering program over that of UGA. And the NFL likes GT receivers because they know how to block. Maybe wishful thinking, but maybe we've got a shot at this guy.
He didn't pick GT then and I doubt he'll pick a team that just had a losing season and missed a bowl now over a team that just barely lost the natty. No chance he comes to Tech imo.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
So two guys out of many, many transfers. Got it.

It doesn't seem all that uncommon that top QBs get overlooked one way or another or simply develop. Those were a couple of guys that popped into my mind is all.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He didn't pick GT then and I doubt he'll pick a team that just had a losing season and missed a bowl now over a team that just barely lost the natty. No chance he comes to Tech imo.

You are probably correct, but that's something I don't get about a lot of these players. Speaking strictly for myself, I'd rather play for a team where I would stand out as somebody who could be a really big addition, rather than someplace where I'm just latching onto a team where 5-star players are a dime a dozen - somewhere they could take me or leave me, whatever. But no doubt what you say applies to the vast majority of these prospects.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You are probably correct, but that's something I don't get about a lot of these players. Speaking strictly for myself, I'd rather play for a team where I would stand out as somebody who could be a really big addition, rather than someplace where I'm just latching onto a team where 5-star players are a dime a dozen - somewhere they could take me or leave me, whatever. But no doubt what you say applies to the vast majority of these prospects.
Most of us wouldn’t have gone to GT if we used your logic. We’ve have gone to Awbarn, Bammer or Clemson where we could have been valedictorians.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Oh yeah, that's a perfect analogy. Brilliant thinking there.

Maybe a bit over the top, but I think the analogy makes sense. Athletes want to go to the "best" situation where they can develop their skills and compete against others with similar skill sets. Think about how many of these guys (sadly) think of the NFL as their final destination.I think top tier students use similar logic when selecting a school for academics. This is why Bama and OSU and a few others can stockpile so much talent. A kid that signs there shows up with the type of competitive mindset that he will beat out whoever is already there. While that doesn't always work out, that type of mindset is, imo, a good leading indicator. I am always a bit leery of the guy who is looking to avoid competition and seeking the path of least resistance to early playing time.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What we debate so heatedly in the off season is hilarious. We really need an “x’s and o’s” guy to start some real football talk pronto!

If CPJ believes that "physical superiority trumps theories or schemes" or wtte, then perhaps off season events, specifically as it relates to athletes and their recruitment, may be as important (if not more so) than the actual X's and O's. (not saying this kid is critical to our future success or anything like that, just that football games are won as much by "off season" events as they are by schemes and the like.)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Tough to get a 5* WR to come here with a coach that only throws 10 times a game. Coach looks for single coverage opportunities to hit the big play or to try and come from behind without much clock. These guys are looking to get into the NFL. They want to be featured in an offense. He already tried the academic route. Now it looks like he wants the best NFL chance.

This argument seems kind of pointless to me. Don’t you think if we had a dynamic playmaker with good hands (ie what a “5[emoji294]️” receiver is expected to be) that our coaches would make sure to get the ball in their hands more than we do now? We even have a template for what it looks like (Bay Bay in 2009)...lots of deep open shots, a healthy number of smoke routes, and a MASSIVE impact on the flow of the game. Oh, and there’s also the fact that even our non-playmaker WRs can still get an NFL shot (K. Cone), so even if things don’t work out ideally you can still have a path to a football career. With what we offer, it’s always surprising to me that more big playmaker WRs aren’t looking hard at us.
Edit: Another benefit that I think is under-sold is the idea that our WRs get to deliver hits to unsuspecting DBs in the run game. Most other teams WRs just have to absorb hits all game, our guys are able to get some payback.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ believes that "physical superiority trumps theories or schemes" or wtte, then perhaps off season events, specifically as it relates to athletes and their recruitment, may be as important (if not more so) than the actual X's and O's. (not saying this kid is critical to our future success or anything like that, just that football games are won as much by "off season" events as they are by schemes and the like.)
Pining for a transferring diva former 5 star wr who passed on us previously and then turning the thread into a trash fest of the offense is not what you just described. Btw, I think our current receiving corps combined with a sr qb in his second year as starter plus a more seasoned OL is gonna make some noise this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of wr's, this dude is itchin' to break out. In fact, I'm gonna call it now!

12718807.jpeg