Demetris Robertson

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe a bit over the top, but I think the analogy makes sense. Athletes want to go to the "best" situation where they can develop their skills and compete against others with similar skill sets. Think about how many of these guys (sadly) think of the NFL as their final destination.I think top tier students use similar logic when selecting a school for academics. This is why Bama and OSU and a few others can stockpile so much talent. A kid that signs there shows up with the type of competitive mindset that he will beat out whoever is already there. While that doesn't always work out, that type of mindset is, imo, a good leading indicator. I am always a bit leery of the guy who is looking to avoid competition and seeking the path of least resistance to early playing time.

I see your point but that's not what I'm talking about. What I mean is that I would rather go somewhere I could help turn a losing team into a winner, somewhere I could make a difference, rather than just go someplace where they could do with or without me. If I'm a 5 star guy and I go to 'Bama, yes it's a challenge to see if I can start ahead of all the other 5 stars. But on the other hand, if I weren't there, there would just be some other 5 star to take my place. As far as the pros are concerned, if you've got the tools you are going to get your shot, no matter what power 5 team you play for in college. And it would be a CHALLENGE to go someplace where they had a losing record and see if you can help pull them up. If he came here, I have a feeling we'd be throwing the ball a bit more, and mostly to him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I see your point but that's not what I'm talking about. What I mean is that I would rather go somewhere I could help turn a losing team into a winner, somewhere I could make a difference, rather than just go someplace where they could do with or without me. If I'm a 5 star guy and I go to 'Bama, yes it's a challenge to see if I can start ahead of all the other 5 stars. But on the other hand, if I weren't there, there would just be some other 5 star to take my place. As far as the pros are concerned, if you've got the tools you are going to get your shot, no matter what power 5 team you play for in college. And it would be a CHALLENGE to go someplace where they had a losing record and see if you can help pull them up. If he came here, I have a feeling we'd be throwing the ball a bit more, and mostly to him.
What you are missing is the prestige factor. A lot of guys want to go where their egos will be stroked day and night, where there’s a good chance they’ll make Sports Center each week. That doesn’t happen at a place like tech.

LibertyTurns

Banned
What you are missing is the prestige factor. A lot of guys want to go where their egos will be stroked day and night, where there’s a good chance they’ll make Sports Center each week. That doesn’t happen at a place like tech.
If you want to improve your draft potential you should go to the place with the best coaches and try to learn as much as you can.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If you want to improve your draft potential you should go to the place with the best coaches and try to learn as much as you can.
If you're a great player NFL Scouts will find you no matter where you play......................................................................................................................................i'm just sayin';)

If they are really as good as they believe, don't you think they would probably get even more Sports Center coverage if they really stood out at a school like Tech than they would by just being one of the pack at a factory school?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If they are really as good as they believe, don't you think they would probably get even more Sports Center coverage if they really stood out at a school like Tech than they would by just being one of the pack at a factory school?

You are thinking like a guy who picked a school to get the best education you could. Not like a guy who is picking a school because you are really good at football. These are two different sets and the intersection of them is infinitesimally small. You can look at the rosters of GT, Duke, NW and Stanford for the people who exist in both parts of the Venn diagram.

You are thinking like a guy who picked a school to get the best education you could. Not like a guy who is picking a school because you are really good at football. These are two different sets and the intersection of them is infinitesimally small. You can look at the rosters of GT, Duke, NW and Stanford for the people who exist in both parts of the Venn diagram.
I totally understand your point, but to me that just points out the niavete of these kids.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of wr's, this dude is itchin' to break out. In fact, I'm gonna call it now!

12718807.jpeg
I already beat you to it lol. I’ve said a bold prediction that he gets 1000 yards. On a more realistic note I’d say he could get 700 yards on around 35 catches.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If you're a great player NFL Scouts will find you no matter where you play......................................................................................................................................i'm just sayin';)
I know people say that, and I know people -- including Paul Johnson -- believe that. But I am curious: how do we know that? It might just be an urban legend. Recruits have to be told something, after all. (I remember a story about Lefty Driesell recruiting Moses Malone in HS. Malone was ready to go pro. Driesell actually tried to convince him he would get better competition and be be better prepared, and should turn down the multi-million offer from the 76ers I think it was. Lefty was good but not that good. Story was midway through the pitch Malone scoffed and started laughing. And did very well in the pros.)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I know people say that, and I know people -- including Paul Johnson -- believe that. But I am curious: how do we know that? It might just be an urban legend. Recruits have to be told something, after all. (I remember a story about Lefty Driesell recruiting Moses Malone in HS. Malone was ready to go pro. Driesell actually tried to convince him he would get better competition and be be better prepared, and should turn down the multi-million offer from the 76ers I think it was. Lefty was good but not that good. Story was midway through the pitch Malone scoffed and started laughing. And did very well in the pros.)
Well, the fact that guys get drafted from some smaller schools that aren’t D1 shows that talent can be found and if your good enough for the most part you will be found. Now, coaching can definitely help your cause but Some guys are just very good and will be found at most any school they go to.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Moses Malone played for the Utah Stars of the ABA out of High School in 1974. He was a power forward starting off in pro basketball.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, the fact that guys get drafted from some smaller schools that aren’t D1 shows that talent can be found and if your good enough for the most part you will be found. Now, coaching can definitely help your cause but Some guys are just very good and will be found at most any school they go to.
It was intended as a more whimsical approach than factual. But seriously, there might be dozens of NFL talents who played at Defiance or Bluffton or Kalamazoo Teachers Aide State University. How do we know differently? How does one prove a negative? But on a serious note, I have always thought that were i seen as an NFL tailback prospect out of HS, I would be silly not to go to the school running an offense that I think fits my skill set. Same with WRs and definitely QBs. It doesn't bother me when GT misses out on some of those guys, and I don't think "better recruiting" would get them. It just makes sense for everybody.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
In one of the Sunday Night NFL games last year there were three starters from DII teams. Last year DII West Georgia had two players drafted. Jessie Tuggle of the Falcons was from DII Valdosta State.

Someone could argue that more NFL players come out of DI than DII, but there are many more NFL caliber players in DI than DII. The fact that for a long time NFL teams have found good players in DII tells me that if a player has what it takes they will find him.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It was intended as a more whimsical approach than factual. But seriously, there might be dozens of NFL talents who played at Defiance or Bluffton or Kalamazoo Teachers Aide State University. How do we know differently? How does one prove a negative? But on a serious note, I have always thought that were i seen as an NFL tailback prospect out of HS, I would be silly not to go to the school running an offense that I think fits my skill set. Same with WRs and definitely QBs. It doesn't bother me when GT misses out on some of those guys, and I don't think "better recruiting" would get them. It just makes sense for everybody.
I agree with your last statement 100%

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
But on a serious note, I have always thought that were i seen as an NFL tailback prospect out of HS, I would be silly not to go to the school running an offense that I think fits my skill set.

Karl Brown who played basketball at GT got invited to a tryout for an NFL team at mini-camp because they liked his hip speed and wanted to try him at corner. NFL coaches and scouts look at much more than the fans. More intricate details and many more players. They might not be impressed or interested in a player who makes some incredible plays that fans are all excited about. They also might be interested in a defensive lineman that fans have never heard of for reasons that the fans don't understand. I highly suspect that the 32 NFL teams spend much more money combined on scouting than the entire 129 FBS teams do combined on recruiting. Also they are scouting several hundred teams instead of the 14,000 plus high school teams that colleges recruit. More money scouting fewer players should mean they do a better job at finding players they are interested in no matter where they are.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Karl Brown who played basketball at GT got invited to a tryout for an NFL team at mini-camp because they liked his hip speed and wanted to try him at corner. NFL coaches and scouts look at much more than the fans. More intricate details and many more players. They might not be impressed or interested in a player who makes some incredible plays that fans are all excited about. They also might be interested in a defensive lineman that fans have never heard of for reasons that the fans don't understand. I highly suspect that the 32 NFL teams spend much more money combined on scouting than the entire 129 FBS teams do combined on recruiting. Also they are scouting several hundred teams instead of the 14,000 plus high school teams that colleges recruit. More money scouting fewer players should mean they do a better job at finding players they are interested in no matter where they are.

No argument. At the same time, though, I wonder: was Kurt Warner the only Kurt Warner nobody knew about? Or about whom everything they "knew" was wrong? (Okay, that's it. My nuclear option. I got nothing else. I admit it. But it is a pretty good one.)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No argument. At the same time, though, I wonder: was Kurt Warner the only Kurt Warner nobody knew about? Or about whom everything they "knew" was wrong? (Okay, that's it. My nuclear option. I got nothing else. I admit it. But it is a pretty good one.)

Romo was from Eastern Illinois and was undrafted. Drew Pearson from Tulsa was undrafted. Adam Vinatieri from South Dakota State was undrafted. James Harrison from Kent State was undrafted. Antonio Gates from Kent State was undrafted. He was from a (now) P5 school, but Warren Moon went undrafted.

Warner did try out for the Packers after college but was competing against Farve, Mark Brunell, and Ty Detmer. Would Warner have ended up as good as he was without taking the path he took? I can't answer that. He might have been Farve's backup or third string QB for a long time and never started.