Deion/ GT having discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Desperation and panic seldom lead to anything other than more of same. True for the market, true for the corporate world, true in a fire or most dangerous situations, and apparently true the last time we hired a coach. Bobby Ross and Paul Johnson were proven entities when we hired them, so shouldn't we learn from our successes ?
If you can’t have both, in today’s world which pathway leads to greater success - good recruiting or good coaching…

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
If you can’t have both, in today’s world which pathway leads to greater success - good recruiting or good coaching…

Based on the last three years, I would say coaching. Obviously, recruiting his critical as well, but I think coaching will at least get you headed in the right direction.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And we saw how well that worked out for him...
Well, it depends on how you look at it. He made more in three years than I have made in my entire life. I would say that part worked out pretty well.

Also, I think the question was how long a "stepping stone" coach lasts. I don't think it makes any difference to Temple what Diaz did after he left. They thought they had a coach, and then they no longer had a coach.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Well, it depends on how you look at it. He made more in three years than I have made in my entire life. I would say that part worked out pretty well.

Also, I think the question was how long a "stepping stone" coach lasts. I don't think it makes any difference to Temple what Diaz did after he left. They thought they had a coach, and then they no longer had a coach.

Temple made out like bandits financially. Got a buyout for Collins and Diaz. Not so much on the field. (8-5, 1-6, 3-9)

Stepping stone would likely be 2-4 years. Enough to show you can turn it around.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Coaching. Hands down. Every day of the week and twice on Saturday!
Good coaches know how to assemble and use talent to the best of its ability.
Talent rarely knows how to work toward common success without some level of guidance.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Coaching. Hands down. Every day of the week and twice on Saturday!
Good coaches know how to assemble and use talent to the best of its ability.
Talent rarely knows how to work toward common success without some level of guidance.

Yep. That's what I was trying to say.

Reactions: CEB

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He works Every. Single. Day. With relentless effort so he can’t be lazy.

(And no, I would not ever think him or call him lazy. He’s just not good at his job)
Not arguing the point but just an observation from watching people work over many decades. If you don’t get better at your job you are lazy. Industrious people put in the work to get better. If you have a set way of doing things, don’t work to improve areas where you are deficient and don’t take constructive criticism, you are lazy.

I’m not saying CGC is lazy, just saying not getting better at your job is a sign of laziness no matter how many hours you are putting in.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Based on the last three years, I would say coaching. Obviously, recruiting his critical as well, but I think coaching will at least get you headed in the right direction.
Have to say I agree.

Problem is we have had well over a decade of Tech fans complaining about recruiting, saying we have to have better recruiting or we will never be able to compete.

So if recruiting is now our top priority then Deion is the way to go.

But don’t get me wrong, I would go back to a Johnson style coach in a heart beat if I thought Tech fans were ready to be more reasonable.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Have to say I agree.

Problem is we have had well over a decade of Tech fans complaining about recruiting, saying we have to have better recruiting or we will never be able to compete.

So if recruiting is now our top priority then Deion is the way to go.

But don’t get me wrong, I would go back to a Johnson style coach in a heart beat if I thought Tech fans were ready to be more reasonable.

I think if you look at our history, our best coaches have been our best COACHES. Johnson, O'Leary, Ross, Dodd. I think if you can get a few winning years together, the recruiting will, to some degree, take care of itself. The lesser coaches have been those with limited experience or just recent high profile experience, Collins, Lewis, Curry, Pepper to some degree, based on his image moreso, as he really did have experience.

Gailey was likely somewhere in between, an experienced coach with mostly NFL experience and coaching philosophy.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The new cut block rules are making option offences hard to run. You are no longer allowed to block below the knees outside of the tackle box. So now those smaller A backs cannot swing outside an block defenders with a dive. Before this ruling I'd be ok going back to Monken or Bohannan but I think this new rule will significantly change how option offence run.
Very true and most folks probably we're not aware of the new rule except for a some diehards.

Status
Not open for further replies.