Deion/ GT having discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Have to say I agree.

Problem is we have had well over a decade of Tech fans complaining about recruiting, saying we have to have better recruiting or we will never be able to compete.

So if recruiting is now our top priority then Deion is the way to go.

But don’t get me wrong, I would go back to a Johnson style coach in a heart beat if I thought Tech fans were ready to be more reasonable.
I've been ready to be reasonable since we hired PJ. But, I know some are not. And, for that reason, we will continue to struggle, most likely, as the only STEM school attempting to do this, other than academies.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Sanders would come to Tech. It would be a graveyard for him. This isn't meant as a reflection on his skills or his recruiting ability. We don't know about the first yet (and it can't get much worse) and he's good at the second. What I mean is that he would find the kinds of things he would want to do and the kinds of players he wanted constantly constrained. He might be able to live with that; I don't know one way or the other. But I doubt he'd be up for trying when he might get a bid from the pros or FSU if he sits tight.

I continue to think that our fanbase (with some exceptions) wants a pro set and good recruiting as well as good coaching. If Collins fails this year (who knows, part deux), then I think our best bet would be Dan Mullen. He's used to constraints—try selling Starkville—and he knows how to both coach and develop players. He also has a great eye for talent, especially QBs. Finally, I bet he would come to Tech.

Not so much Deion.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
If Collins fails this year (who knows, part deux), then I think our best bet would be Dan Mullen. He's used to constraints—try selling Starkville—and he knows how to both coach and develop players. He also has a great eye for talent, especially QBs. Finally, I bet he would come to Tech.
Yeah because he did such a great job at Florida

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

So what went wrong at Florida? Recruits? Coaching? Both? Other? Pressure? Got Miss. State to a No. 1 ranking in the same division as Saban and kept them pretty solid for a while. What happened?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So what went wrong at Florida? Recruits? Coaching? Both? Other? Pressure? Got Miss. State to a No. 1 ranking in the same division as Saban and kept them pretty solid for a while. What happened?

What went wrong with florida was meddling. Florida boosters are chasing Urban Meyer level success. They want a Tebow, the want to be back in that time again. Everyone they hire gets held to that recently. He pretty much ran the show at Miss St.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

What his did at Florida was why he was hired as a HC. His two defenses were ranked 12th in 2015 and 6th in 2016 in DFEI. Pretty sure we'd kill just to be in the top 30....

This is where having facts helps out @TooTall. Blaming him for an amazing defense on a team that won 19 games while he was there is odd to say the least.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
What his did at Florida was why he was hired as a HC. His two defenses were ranked 12th in 2015 and 6th in 2016 in DFEI. Pretty sure we'd kill just to be in the top 30....

This is where having facts helps out @TooTall. Blaming him for an amazing defense on a team that won 19 games while he was there is odd to say the least.

I thought Mullins was an offensive coach?? What does defense have to do with it? And he was already a head coach at Miss State before 2015??

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
What went wrong with florida was meddling. Florida boosters are chasing Urban Meyer level success. They want a Tebow, the want to be back in that time again. Everyone they hire gets held to that recently. He pretty much ran the show at Miss St.

Always thought he was a good coach. Would he come here?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
From what I hear from UF people Mullin didn’t do a terrible job there. He just hated recruiting and couldn’t land a top 10 class.
Coach Mullins is a good coach but as Juice puts it he hates recruiting. My Florida friends tell me that when you meet him...well, let's just say he does not give off warm, fuzzy, positive vibes. None of them liked him but still thought he was a good coach but the sight of Miami, FSU, and UGA coming into what had been fertile Gator recruiting territory and poaching great players did not sit well with them.

slugboy

Staff member
You mean those things with the holes? Cool but I am too old for them. I will stick with my Sperry Docksiders. I can hear the laughter now.
BEB86D73-1BA5-4003-B62A-A448BE4873FC.jpeg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
While I don't particularly like Collins approach or results, I don't think the comment that he is lazy is fair.
Agree, in last quarter he helped Sims up when he was tackled on the side line. Cgc had already picked up the football to give to the official.

Always Busy in the present moment. What could go wrong.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Coach Mullins is a good coach but as Juice puts it he hates recruiting. My Florida friends tell me that when you meet him...well, let's just say he does not give off warm, fuzzy, positive vibes. None of them liked him but still thought he was a good coach but the sight of Miami, FSU, and UGA coming into what had been fertile Gator recruiting territory and poaching great players did not sit well with them.
Ah. So they were - how shall I put it? - fools. His record at UF was - let me check - 34 - 15 with 3 bowt appearances in 4 years and 2 wins plus 3 years in the top 20. And that doesn't include his years at MSU. He was 69 - 46 there with 8 bowl appearances in 9 years with 3 years in the top 25. Then he goes 5 - 6 and they fire him? I mean I knew the Gator fans were fickle, but firing Mullen was easily the worst mistake in UF football history.

Ah, well. Their loss could easily be our gain. I don't care if the alums or the media like him. All I care about is whether he would win. I don't see much to say he wouldn't if Tech hired him, but let's see how Collins does this year first.

Status
Not open for further replies.