Deion/ GT having discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Well there's been buzz about this before :)

I think it's a really interesting scenario and do believe it could continue to pay dividends in recruiting and raising money. I wonder if there's any likelihood Collins could be talked down to taking DC at less pay? Obviously at face-value he has the upper-hand contract-wise but in terms of future career potential, it'd be in his best interest to hang around in some capacity until things do turnaround compared to a crash, burn, and fired scenario.

No way I’m the world Collins would take a demotion and stay here. None. He’ll take what he’s owed and move on.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
He'd drop ATL for Dallas at the drop of a hat.
Unless my memory is failing me, Deion is all about Deion. I don’t think he would have any kind of lasting relationship with Tech and I could see him bringing recruits with him when he leaves.

Deion is like that really hot girl that you want to date but you know you can’t ever bring her home because momma (The Hill) would never approve.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Unless my memory is failing me, Deion is all about Deion. I don’t think he would have any kind of lasting relationship with Tech and I could see him bringing recruits with him when he leaves.

Deion is like that really hot girl that you want to date but you know you can’t ever bring her home because momma (The Hill) would never approve.

This is exactly true. But you know how it is, date a hot girl once and your street rep gets a permanent lift.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And after his 1st year of a rebuild and going 3-9 how many of you would want to fire him? Look I don't care for CGC and y'all call him a car salesman than had no experience as a head coach and you think Deion is the answer. I would rather have a coach next time. Even if it was someone like the Georgia southern coach.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We all know who Neon Deion is. But do the kids know? Could this be similar to hiring to Leon Hart or Doak Walker back when we were in school? In case you don't know who these guys are, they are Heisman winners from the 1950's. What I am saying here is this....to some of us, we saw Deion in his prime and it seems like not so long ago. But to kids, 30+ years ago is about the same time frame as when dinosaurs walked the earth or Columbus discovered America or the Great Depression (not the one when the housing market crashed or the one we are currently in but the first one).

I say this as a high school teacher. But, thanks unto God or whomever you refer to as your higher power, all the kids I teach know who Led Zeppelin is. So there is some hope for this younger generation yet. Rock on.

When I realized he was 55, I felt old because it seems like he was recently a star.

Ironically, we tried a star before, Pepper Rogers, who was similar.

But this time would be different. Since he also was a star in the MLB, he could help baseball too?

I'm glib about this since I don't see it happening. But could be short term good if it did at the end of the season.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
So a number of people early in this discussion said that the problem with this would be the hill. Is it that Deion would want the hill to change the academic requirements to get into the Institute or that the hill would just not want him? Or something else?

I will say that changing the academic requirements of the Institute is a non-starter.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The original question was hypothetical, right? People are getting pretty literal in their responses about the lack of feasibility of this happening.

Question: If Martian atmosphere were thicker and held more CO2 and nitrogen would you be in favor of adding more oxygen to the atmosphere to support life?

Answer: You can’t do that; Martian atmosphere is too thin.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
And after his 1st year of a rebuild and going 3-9 how many of you would want to fire him? Look I don't care for CGC and y'all call him a car salesman than had no experience as a head coach and you think Deion is the answer. I would rather have a coach next time. Even if it was someone like the Georgia southern coach.
I think that what people look at when comparing Deion to CGC is that Deion would likely be better at the things that CGC has done well at tech (recruit, NIL, etc).

The on the field results can't get much worse than what they have been, so if we trade up for a coach that recuits better, perhaps things improve in general.

I think we can all agree that Leon Sandcastle would be the best pick out of everyone though

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
We all know who Neon Deion is. But do the kids know? Could this be similar to hiring to Leon Hart or Doak Walker back when we were in school? In case you don't know who these guys are, they are Heisman winners from the 1950's. What I am saying here is this....to some of us, we saw Deion in his prime and it seems like not so long ago. But to kids, 30+ years ago is about the same time frame as when dinosaurs walked the earth or Columbus discovered America or the Great Depression (not the one when the housing market crashed or the one we are currently in but the first one).

I say this as a high school teacher. But, thanks unto God or whomever you refer to as your higher power, all the kids I teach know who Led Zeppelin is. So there is some hope for this younger generation yet. Rock on.
Travis Hunter, the number 1 recruit in 2022 new who Deion Sanders was. A lot of the younger generation players know who he was since he is considered an icon in the sport. I dont think it'll be as much of an issue since we live in the digital age where everyone has access to YouTube and the internet.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Travis Hunter, the number 1 recruit in 2022 new who Deion Sanders was. A lot of the younger generation players know who he was since he is considered an icon in the sport. I dont think it'll be as much of an issue since we live in the digital age where everyone has access to YouTube and the internet.
New? Maybe knew?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think he knew more about the bag man than the coach.... 🤑

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I retired from teaching high school in a rural south Georgia school system about 6 years ago after 31 years in the trenches. The strangest phenomena I observed was this obsession with all things having to do with Bob Marley. Those kids were crazy about him for some reason. maybe it was the dreds or the reggae but he was all the rage. Imagine their consternation when I told them he was almost ten years older than me and had died over 30 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.