Deion/ GT having discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about a Deion hire, the more I like it. But I bet we’ll end up with Bill O’Brien.

IMO, Bill O'Brien would be a lot like George O'Leary. Absolute hard@ss of a coach, he would get us back to regular bowl games, win 9-11 games every few seasons, and we would be play good fundamental football on both sides. His hard@ss schtick doesn't play well with NFL players making more money than him, but in college it works. In his six full seasons for the Texans (he was fired 4 games into the 7th season), he finished first in the division four times. Bonus: he would have learned Saban's structure for a college football program and could implement some of it at GT (minus probably the bagmen). At Penn State, he finished 2nd and 3rd in the division with a decimated roster due to the Joe Paterno scandal. He'll develop players to be NFL draft picks, and QBs would line up to play for him. This guy can coach QBs...there's a reason why Bill Belichek wanted him to coach in New England.

Given GT's current predicament, and how many programs will be looking for a coach, GT could do a LOT worse than Bill O'Brien.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
IMO, Bill O'Brien would be a lot like George O'Leary. Absolute hard@ss of a coach, he would get us back to regular bowl games, win 9-11 games every few seasons, and we would be play good fundamental football on both sides. His hard@ss schtick doesn't play well with NFL players making more money than him, but in college it works. In his six full seasons for the Texans (he was fired 4 games into the 7th season), he finished first in the division four times. Bonus: he would have learned Saban's structure for a college football program and could implement some of it at GT (minus probably the bagmen). At Penn State, he finished 2nd and 3rd in the division with a decimated roster due to the Joe Paterno scandal. He'll develop players to be NFL draft picks, and QBs would line up to play for him. This guy can coach QBs...there's a reason why Bill Belichek wanted him to coach in New England.

Given GT's current predicament, and how many programs will be looking for a coach, GT could do a LOT worse than Bill O'Brien.
O'Brien or Mullen are the ones I want Tech to go after, but I'm still hoping Collins will succeed.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I'm hoping for GT's success with or without collins but I'm now convinced collins lacks the gravitas to be a successful head coach in major college football.

Not sure it’s the gravitas. I think it’s just the decision making on a lot of things, like practice schedules, game management, dealing with the press and fans. I’m sure he’s wanted this for a long time and perhaps if he had stepped into a better situation it may have worked better. But three years of slogans and a different way of doing things as compared to 99.9% of other coaches and minimal wins are not a good combination unfortunately.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
O'Brien or Mullen are the ones I want Tech to go after, but I'm still hoping Collins will succeed.
I am not sure either would come to GT based on the money we have to offer. Both were making far more in their last head coaching jobs. Also not sure how much recruiting experience in the South O'Brien has currently.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
So they are paying him $15M buyout rather than waiting three weeks and paying $7.5M? Wow.
$ome $chool$ have acce$$ to alot of money, including TV money, more$o than GT. To them, $7.5 mm i$ a rounding error. uga could probably come up with $50 mm ea$ily if they wanted to do a buyout.

Kudo$ to them for taking action $o quickly!

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes they are. $2.5 mil per week. Guess it’s worth it

With how ludicrous these contracts are, it makes me wonder what ‘effort’ he gave this week? Not trying to slight GSU’s big win, but the writing was on the wall he was a deadman walking. And this loss gave him more more money in 3 weeks than most people make in a lifetime (or multiple lifetimes)

I still cannot fathom why these big contracts don’t include some minimum low-bar performance results as grounds for for-cause termination.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So they are paying him $15M buyout rather than waiting three weeks and paying $7.5M? Wow.
couple of ways to look at it, they are in the Big10 so money may not be a problem. And with the early signing day in Dec gives them time to find a coach and not lose recruits to wait till the end of the season could hurt recruiting.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
couple of ways to look at it, they are in the Big10 so money may not be a problem. And with the early signing day in Dec gives them time to find a coach and not lose recruits to wait till the end of the season could hurt recruiting.
Agree. They get a head start on everyone else. I always thought a younger CPJ would be a good fit for the Huskers.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With how ludicrous these contracts are, it makes me wonder what ‘effort’ he gave this week? Not trying to slight GSU’s big win, but the writing was on the wall he was a deadman walking. And this loss gave him more more money in 3 weeks than most people make in a lifetime (or multiple lifetimes)

I still cannot fathom why these big contracts don’t include some minimum low-bar performance results as grounds for for-cause termination.

This is prima face evidence that there is too much money in college football. College football is more about the money and not the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.